Buy more and lose

Having a look at Woolies online today and was checking out the dried apricots and saw this:

(click the image to make it easier to read)

Whilst not a shonky product as such, the promo-labelling certainly is!

Left hand Woolies dried apricot product in a plastic bag, $9.33/kg, right hand Woolies dried apricot in plastic box promoted with “buy more save more” is over 2.5X more expensive per kg at $24/kg, and if you buy the “2 for $10.00” promotion, still more than twice the price per kg ($20/kg). So you can spend $10 for 500g, or buy the other product for $7 and get 750g.
One way to look at that is, relative to the product that claims to save you money, buy the other one and they pay you $3 to take and extra 250g of fruit! :scream:

The way I see it is: the more you spend on that particular product, the more you lose!

6 Likes

Interesting while they appear the same product in two alternative packaging…looking at the Woollies website, the 750gm bag is packed in Turkey with Turkish apricots (+preservative 220 and sunflower oil), while the 250gm container is packed in Australia with Turkish apricots (+ preservative 220 only). The bag has the added ingredient of sunflower oil.

The nutritional panel information is also different. The bagged apricots have higher energy, less protein, higher fat (?), higher carbohydrate, lower sugar and lower sodium. I wonder if the bag has a higher moisture content (not dried as much) and extra energy is from the sunflower oil.

I have bought the bag before and found they lacked flavour…and tend to buy Angus or Australian ones if I can get my hands on them. They have far more flavour eventhough there is a price premium.

9 Likes