Butler Sinks

Off topic as usual but I was amazed to spot this whilst waiting for my favourite Bogan chef yesterday afternoon.

It was at the end of Lidia’s Kitchen on SBS TV and is obviously a pull out sink.

I googled “pull out sinks” but I only got “pull out taps” etc.

Whatever next?

A pull out toilet pedestal?

1 Like

If you’re talking about the white sink in the rear of the shot, thats known as a butler’s sink (or similar) in the UK, its not pull out. I’d love to have one, instead of the completely useless 3 inches of what-have-you before you can even put your hands in the sink.

3 Likes

Heres a link to an Aussie supplier

1 Like

Then how do they use them?

If it was Sarah Graham, I would simply watch as she regularly washes her hands during each episode, the most hygienic cook I have watched.

However, I find Lidia much too annoying to attempt to endure 30 minutes in the hope she actually uses this sink.

Its normal sink, Fred, its just the angle of the shot that has you confused.

2 Likes

Thanks SueW.
I’ve only ever heard them referred to as Belfast sinks or farmhouse sinks. Obviously butler’s imparts a little more elegance. I’m not one who follows any in vogue home designer publications.

The web suggests there are subtle differences between a butler’s and belfast sink. Both appear to suit short people over taller. IE us taller ones who need to stoop to reach the bottom of either?

1 Like

I’m not tall, and I find I have to stoop, not so much to reach the bottom, thats easy, but having to reach over and into the sink means leaning at a really uncomfortable-for-the-back angle. I can’t hold it for long. This style of sink would enable reaching straight down. If I had the dosh to reno my kitchen, my benches would be taller anyway I shared a house with a particularly tall friend and she had her kitchen built to her height and it suited me really well.

4 Likes

At our last house I rebuilt the kitchen after a flood, from a kit from Ikea including a butlers/Belfast sink (not bad for an old miners cottage). They are awesome (fit a baby or pup in there to wash), just take a while to fill with an eco tap.

6 Likes

Nicely done, Ben!! What a neat kitchen :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:+1:
IKEA - appear to be thinking in keeping the sink shallow and raised above the bench to minimise the need to stoop. It also sits neatly forward of the bench a little to minimise reach. It looks like a more practical solution compared to some other ‘on trend’ designs.

We reused our Oliveri 1.5 SS sink when remodelling our kitchen. Not so on trend, but we are in tank water. To minimise waste we’d need to use a small plastic wash basin with a butler’s styled sink.

2 Likes

These are apron fronted sinks called Butler’s sinks in the UK and Farmhouse sinks in the US. They do not pull out but they give you the full depth of useable space rather than have a 3inch wide benchtop with a drop in sink inserted beyond that. I have had one in one of our houses and it was great but they’re very unforgiving if you drop anything while washing up. Glassware and china is very easily broken in them particularly wine glasses.

5 Likes

Thanks pj, I know. Fred was the one who didnt know what they were and thought they were pullout. Good warning about thing breaking if you drop them in the sink. I had not considered that and may now consider SS instead. I hate that extra 3”!! My back aches terribly at the best of times.

1 Like

Rubber mat in the bottom. Also minimises the risks of damaging the glaze. Hint from a family member who used to have one long before they were trendy. I tend to be easily distracted, and was not permitted near said bespoke kitchen sink.

3 Likes

A rubber mat should be very effective to protect things dropped as well as the sink, but it needs to be kept out and dried which is more than some would sign onto - and leave it.

An alternative is a stainless wire sink protector with plastic feet, if one can obtain a suitable size. Our stainless deep sinks came with them, and they are separately available from multiple sources.

4 Likes

Wow. I really opened the Pandora’s Box with my post.

I did wonder about persons turning the water on or it developing a drip without the sink “pulled out”.

The other day, Sarah Graham was at a small fishing village on the West Coast of South Africa and cooked a meal on the harbour bank.

As always, she washed her hands and had a rectangular white ceramic basin that looked like the butler’s sink filled with water on the ground near her.

A portable butler’s sink?

2 Likes

Could be a problem if you forget to pull it out. :flushed:

3 Likes

I just watched “Cook Like an Italian with Silvia Colloca” on SBS TV, which is the first time I have seen her.

She just had her new kitchen installed complete with an island work bench with a laminated polished timber top similar to the bench top behind Lidia’s butler sink.

She proceeded to cook her first dish, a bolognese ragu, starting with dicing the onions, carrots and celery with a cooks’ knife straight on top of the polished timber.

I guess she can afford regular renovation of the bench top.

1 Like

Your post got me curious and I looked up the website: actually the bench top is laminated, but the polished wood part is a movable cutting board :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes