Bottled Sauces

Looks delicious though :tomato:

2 Likes

Thank you :slight_smile:
it is!

Jelled nicely so I add it to everything. Waiting for Coles to have a Chill festival , Then will make Chill paste but triple the quantity. Was so nice last year that I coudlnā€™t stop eating itā€¦

The recipe states I can keep it in the fridge indefinitely ā€¦ ha! was 750g was gone in 3 months.

Recipe is in Spice Temple by Neil Perry.

3 Likes

I was furious when Woolworths took it off the shelf. Itā€™s Aussie owned with Aussie produce. My Mum went to school with the Major (the M in Mon sauce) kids at the Cohuna State School. The MON name comes from the original guys who owned the company, Major and Oā€™Neal (? spelling). Apart from that family connection we have rarely bought another brand.

That said, itā€™s the best tomato sauce in the world although I still canā€™t work out why they changed the shape of the bottle a couple of times. For those wondering, Cohuna is a small Murray River town on the Victorian side of the border with NSW.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that all the name labels are vanishing from Coles. My guess is that they are trying to keep with Aldi.

In the mean time Iā€™m drowning in chill sauces. bought a bit too much, like a kg too much as I made half of 2 recipes and theyā€™ve been frozen. Have never defrosted a chilli successfully. Any hitsā€¦

Made 3 sauces, pickled, salted and fermentedā€¦

As much as I donā€™t trust Coles with fresh produce at $10 per kg i cavedā€¦

Lately Iā€™ve been reading the history behind some Australian companies . Iā€™m really glad you shared that with us . I used to go up to Kerang a fare bit in my younger days and would pass through Cohuna on my way to the Murray . /

It is a great sauce and letā€™s hope Woolworths keep it on their shelves now . . Being in a glass bottle is good too . Some things should never change but they do unfortunately .

1 Like