Bottled Sauces

thank you for the tip. Purchased unhulled tahini … love garlic, even more so now that I get it for the farmers.

1 Like

don’t have a pressure cooker. Small home, small kitchen. Not even enough room to get all the pots that I want. Moving away from cast iron to non reactive.

Cannot afford all clad so going with essteele.

1 Like

Certainly the Youghurts we buy that are Strawberry do contain Strawberries

Vaalia Low Fat Strawberry Yoghurt (Youghurt, Yogurt)
"Ingredients

Skim Milk, Milk Solids, Strawberries (7%), Sugar, Cream, Water, Inulin, Thickener (1442) (From Tapioca), Gelatin, Flavours, Mineral Salt (509), Food Acids (331,.330), Blackcarrot & Blackcurrant Concentrates, Live Yoghurt Cultures (Incl. L. Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium, Lactobacillus GG)."

Yoplait Strawberry Yoghurt

Liddell’s Lactose Free Yoghurt

(click on image to display list of ingredients if it isn’t showing)

Some used other fruit juices to help colour but not too many use cochineal (Carmine) to produce/enhance the colour. But the ones we eat certainly do contain Strawberries.

1 Like

you lost me at ’ Inulin, Thickener (1442) (From Tapioca), ’ [sic] :wink:

1 Like

Other option is to soak them overnight and then boil/cook.

1 Like

Soaked over night and cooked them for 2 hours as per Ottolenghi… well Yotam stated shorter cooking times, but they were not that fresh. Even at 90 min they were still rather hard.

2 Likes

I remember passing through a supermarket and seeing tomatoes out on a super special and buying 10kg or so of them, thinking what a great idea to make tomato sauce. We did make a tomato sauce in the end, but after scanning a few recipes and thinking holy **** batman how much crap do people put in sauce, we winged it and made the best sauce I’ve tasted. Still probably had way too much bad stuff in it, but we all loved it.

Other than that - Tabasco … I like a sauce that bites back …

1 Like

Inulin is a dietary fibre that is added to help our gut bacteria thrive, It was added because a lot of us do not get enough of this type of fibre in our diets and it helps support the cultures in our gut. It gets broken down in the lower gut and has many important health benefits. It is extracted from plants (mostly Chicory that has large amounts of it).

For the rest, most of the ingredients such as the starches are to provide a consistent product that has a reasonable shelf life.

My previous post was to point out that some/many Strawberry Youghurts can and do contain Strawberries in response to

Of course it would be great if we all went back to whole foods and less refined product but for many this is not easily achievable for reasons of room, access, ability, finances, time and many other considerations. This is why it is good to see products on shelves that provide real benefits rather than some of the junk food alternatives out there.

We do not consume large amounts of fruit/flavoured Youghurts and consider them as the occasional treat. We prefer to use plain youghurts and sometimes will add some apple, or mango, or strawberries, or hulled cherries, or raspberries, or banana, or passionfruit or similar or some mixture of any at the time of consumption. We prefer Youghurt to sour cream in many of our dishes and happily add it as a dressing and or ingredient to our curries, Stroganoff and similar cream containing dishes. We use plain as the base for Lassi, favourite being Mango Lassi but Rosewater or others are also enjoyed.

Can I recommend you try Pigeon Pea (Cajanus cajan). It is a smaller seed, has a great flavour and is quite hardy. It doesn’t require much water and the yield can be poor but with your hydroponics setup it might work very well for you. It can be grown into a small tree if you wish to plant it out but yields do drop off after about 2 years so you may wish to replant a new set every year for rotation reasons.

It makes the best Dhal…you can use it green or dried and it can be bought from many Indian supply stores. If they don’t understand what you are asking for try “Tur” or “Toor Dal”

3 Likes

I get sheep milk yogurt and all it contains 'Pasteurised Sheep Milk, Live Yoghurt Cultures. ’ [sic]

1 Like

I only have a balcony, so growing a lot is hard… plus get a lot of sun. Plants seem to not like it.

1 Like

Shadecloth can help that a bit but if getting some (and if allowed to use it) try to get at least 60% reduction ones for soft fruits and vegetables such as tomatoes. At that level of shade they will still get plenty of sunlight but a lot less chance of too much, it also has an added benefit of reducing watering needs. Too much of a rating eg 80% or greater can have a detrimental effect on sun loving varieties.

1 Like

thank you! bought the shade cloth but never used it… might try in the summer.

2 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Some good plants to grow

OK made Tomato Jam …never again!! way to sweet, so to balance it out I added more lemon, garlic and a ton of home dried chillies.

Now it tastes like the Sweet Thai Sauce but better…

Sadly a kg of tomatoes gave me less then a kg of jam .Expected it to double like citrus does…

Now will try tomato sauce when Tomatoes will be back in Season.

2 Likes

It is not the sauces that cause me to have ethical dilemmas, it is the fact that they are in plastic bottles. We need to campaign on the old ad “Good things come in glass”. I only buy condiments in glass eg Rosella brand, and Dijon mustard. We will be buried in plastic before too long.
N Lovell

3 Likes

Another good reason to make your own tomato sauce and store in glass :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, but they pay less for freight and plastic doesn’t break like glass does.

I’ve been making my own mustard for years. Store it in glass jars.

Basic mustard, sometimes it’s grainy & at other times I push it to smooth consistency.

This is from food network.

3 Likes

food will still come in plastic but convenient plastic carry bags will go …

It appears that oxidisation of the food when cooking/processing causes a loss of colour.

Looking online at a few different commercially produced tomato sauce ingredients (Masterfood, Rosella, Heinz) they don’t use colouring which could have been why they are red in Australia (I know in the US one can buy tomato ketchup of varying colours due to food colouring added).

I wonder if they have perfected an aerobic cooking method to retain the colour as well add things like food acid to prevent oxidisation during cooking/on bottle opening as well.

2 Likes

Made tomato jam, the color was brilliant red.

Never making it again as it was way to sweet, added a ton of chill and more lemon juice. Just couldn’t balance it.

Still nice and reminds me of the Thai sweet chili sauce.

6 Likes