BMW Group Australia Ltd - BMW E46 3 Series MY1997-2000 Recall

A recall notice for BMW E46 3 Series MY1997-2000 supplied by BMW Group Australia Ltd as the airbag inflators in these vehicles could allow moisture to enter the unit and degrade the airbag propellant. If this occurs, the properties of the propellant may be changed so that the propellant does not react as intended during an accident, causing misdeployment of the airbag.

BMW Group Australia Ltd - BMW E46 3 Series MY1997-2000

PRA No.

2019/17946

Date published

7 Nov 2019

Campaign number

Product description

BMW E46 3 Series vehicles MY1997-2000
Production dates 21 November 1997 to 30 June 2000
Vehicles fitted with driver’s frontal airbag module equipped with a Takata non-azide driver inflator (NADI)

Affected sedan and coupe model variants :
sedans: 316i, 318i, 320i, 323i, 325i, 328i, 330i
coupes: 318Ci, 320Ci, 323Ci, 328Ci, 330Ci

12 663 affected vehicles

Identifying features

VIN (Vehicle identification number)

See attached VIN list

VIN list.pdf (1.69 MB)

What are the defects?

The airbag inflators in these vehicles could allow moisture to enter the unit and degrade the airbag propellant. If this occurs, the properties of the propellant may be changed so that the propellant does not react as intended during an accident, causing misdeployment of the airbag.

What are the hazards?

If a vehicle with an affected airbag is involved in a collision, the airbag inflator could rupture, causing sharp metal fragments to enter the vehicle cabin at high speed and potentially killing or injuring vehicle occupants.

There is also a potential risk that the airbag may underinflate in a collision and may not protect the driver as intended.

What should consumers do?

Owners of affected vehicles should stop driving their vehicle immediately and contact their local BMW dealership https://findadealer.bmw.com.au/ or call BMW Australia’s Takata Hotline directly on 1800 243 675 to organise their free urgent vehicle inspection and for a replacement airbag inflator (free of charge) if required.

Vehicles will be either towed to the place of inspection or a mobile technician will inspect the vehicle at the consumer’s home or the vehicle’s location. The vehicle should not be driven to the inspection place.

If the vehicle is affected, BMW will replace the airbag inflator free of charge.

Consumers who are unsure of whether they are affected by this recall can also use the BMW VIN look-up tool at https://www.recall.bmw.com.au, contact the BMW Takata Hotline directly on 1800 243 675 or contact their preferred BMW dealer. Dealer locations and contact details can be found at https://findadealer.bmw.com.au/.

We also recommend you visit www.productsafety.gov.au/newsletter/subscribe to subscribe to receive updates about current and future recalls as they are published.

Further information for consumers is available at www.productsafety.gov.au/recalls

Supplier

BMW Group Australia Ltd

Traders who sold this product

All Authorised BMW Group Australia Dealers

Where the product was sold

Nationally

Dates available for sale

• 21 November 1997 - 30 June 2000

Responsible regulator

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications is the responsible regulator for this recall.

Takata Airbags. The gift that just keeps on giving (or taking).

1 Like