Biscuits : What brand or type do you buy or prefer?

I forgot to respond to this particular point. I try to stay under 50g per day. Thats why I never get round to baking, and why I probably wont experiment with these other flours.

3 Likes

The idea of mixing flours rather than single source can help meet those carb requirements in your day as well as cutting the fats and oils and energy provided, while increasing Omega 3 & 6 takeup and dietary fibre. If for example you like the almond flour then mixing about 1/2 and 1/2 with Lupin Flour you will cut energy intake from fats and oils, retain high protein, still have low sugar and low overall carbs.

Some or rather a lot of the carb in Hemp Flour is Dietary Fibre (20 g of 30 g) and it passes through most of your gut to end up being digested in the large intestine by the gut flora and fauna and not by your body.

Whether you decide to try or not are equally valid choices, I understand why you may not do so and I only provided it as an alternative if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

But, see, I donā€™t really want to cut fats. I am trying to stick to a LCHF diet, which keeps my blood sugars in check. I fail from time to time, but LCHF + Freestyle Libre (when it works) keeps my BGL in a ā€œnormalā€ range.

3 Likes

The taste of a good home made biscuit canā€™t be beaten.

Indeed. (And thanks, @phb, for not saying ā€œcanā€™t be beatā€.)

4 Likes

I used to buy that brand but Aldi have MUCH cheaper versin which also tastes better. Under $1 per packet!!

2 Likes

I stopped buying biscuits after finding out that most used hydrogenated vegetable oils (with trans fats) to get good mouth-feel.

These days I eat an occasional rice cracker (Sakata preferred) and those new crispbreads with fruit and nuts for entertaining. Fantastic with blue cheese.

Iā€™ll never forget my grandmotherā€™s gingernutsā€“hard as rocks once cooked, great for dipping in drinks, but best eaten at the batter stage.

5 Likes

Maybe a survey should be held to see if one likes ones biscuits soft, chewy or crunchy/hard.

I love the hard onesā€¦even if they are not best for ones teeth.

3 Likes

Spicy gingernuts need to be savoured so rock hard suits them.

4 Likes

Nairns oat biscuits - lovely ginger one (way less sweet than Arnotts), excellent dark chocolate chip one (ditto) and a fruity one.

3 Likes

Well Iā€™m going to drive everyone crazy. I eat at least one family size packet of TimTams a week. Iā€™m over 75 and donā€™t have a cholesterol condition. I drink loads of coffee, at least 4 cups a day and pretty much eat anything I want. But I have a salad lunch 5 times a week with a whole tomato, lettuce, capsicum, ham and a thick slice of home made bread, spread with butter. My work colleagues are for ever commenting as to how I can eat the same lunch every day but slowly I see them eating less chips and more fruit. For breakfast I eat a whole banana with cereal and a tablespoon of Manuka honey. Been doing this exact meal system for the last 20 years and yes I also work full time which helps pay for the honey.

5 Likes

The Queensland and Victorian ones are ā€œdunkableā€ too! You actually get more per pack as theyā€™re thinner.

2 Likes

I used to buy Granita, but changed to McVities Digestive biscuits, which are far superior. They also come in dark chocolate - mmmm! Love Tim Tams, but they really are a bit too sweet - I will have to try the Aldi ones.
Canā€™t go past Peckish rice crackers for eating with cheese, Sriracha is my favourite flavour. They are so light and crisp I have to stop myself from eating the whole packet.

3 Likes

Iā€™d once would have said without hesitation the ā€˜Scotch Fingerā€™ but now, with sugar and fat being my enemy, it is the ā€˜Vita-wheatā€™ which is the biscuit I regularly buy.

4 Likes

An article regarding a survey of which Arnotts biscuits people prefer.

1 Like

Iā€™m into Arnotts Orange Slice today.

Only because they are there and the one who likes them most is away. They go stale if you donā€™t eat them. Good with a Twinings Australian blend Afternoon Tea.

Looking forward to the new taste Orange Slice Cookies when they come out! :rofl:

2 Likes

An article regarding tips for those consumers who might like to bake their own.

3 Likes

I cooked cheese sables yesterday for the first time since 2018, and I still had a 250gm pack of Bega Strong & Bitey Cheese which was some 18 months past its Best Before date and had transformed into Very Strong & Dangerous Cheese.

I bought a 250gm piece of Grana Padano and some Coles Red Leicester and grated them along with the Bega cheese.

I basically use this recipe.

I made 2 batches, each with 270gm of the 3 cheeses mixed together, 250 gm of butter and 250 gm of sifted flour, but with different amounts of mustard and cayenne.

A 1/4 of a teaspoon each of mustard and cayenne for my wife and 1 teaspoon each of mustard and cayenne for me.

I forgot the salt but I cannot notice any difference, probably because of the cheese, and I did not put any rosemary or salt on top of them.

And without any grandkids here, this lot will last longer.

1 Like

An article regarding Oreo storing their cookies in a vault to protect them from asteroids.

Oreo lovers should be able to sleep better now

3 Likes

Who is going to eat them after the asteroid? How fresh will the vault keep them and for how longā€¦come on Nabisco they are just biscuits full of sugar, fat and the asteroid is probably healthier for us all. But this does show the marketing lengths some businesses will go to to increase their profitsā€¦Am I being cynical of the motives, I donā€™t think I am but Iā€™m certainly feeling very cynical about capitalism.

2 Likes

donā€™t like Oreos at all. Arnotts Gingernuts for dunking in coffee, and Coles anzacs, both for times when I am ignoring my diabetic state. I tried making biscuits with almond flour and fake sugarā€¦ revolting!!