Birch & Waite Chili & Lime Mayonnaise

There is old and sage advice to businesses to never to be dependent on just a few, let alone only one customer.

Global Machinery Company (GMC) sold power products to Bunnings, and to a much lesser extent, Big W, and the directors were on the BRW list of young millionaires with a fortune of some $70 million.

They found out the hard way when Bunnings pulled the rug out from under their feet and their business collapsed.

For some years I have been buying Birch & Waite Chili & Lime Mayonnaise. Their products are only stocked by Woollies, and it was the only product I still bought there. They were previously also stocked by IGA.

I tried to get a jar yesterday only to find out that the Chili & Lime was no longer available. An employee said that they had not been able to get it for a couple of months.

I now have no need to ever shop at Woollies again.

If Woollies ever decide to drop Birch & Waite products, I imagine that they will be in an unenviable position.

1 Like

A better place to complain (comment) about reduced range is the shop’s facebook page. It is relatively public and if they get enough pushback after dropping a product sometimes both Coles and Woolies will revisit products they have pulled.

We had both companies re-introduce specific products after facebook posts, and others joined the fray.

In forums such as this even if they notice it, it is but a once off to them. On their facebook pages it is focused and in their faces, especially when we customers ‘gang up’ in unison.

4 Likes

The manufacturer is the one who has dropped this particular product.

Woollies still stocks their other mayonnaise and sauce products.

The chili & mayonnaise product was always the first one to sell out so I doubt that Woollies had any involvement in its demise.

In any case, I will contact Birch & Waite as I will greatly miss this product.

2 Likes

Hi @Fred123 Perhaps you might edit your original post to reflect the above comments. The way it reads at the moment, I thought that Woolies had pulled the product.

5 Likes

Hi,

I have edited the post.

I have also filled in the online form on Birch & Waite’s website.

Cheers

3 Likes

I have just received a response from Birch & Waite which I have copied below.

They even provided a DIY replacement recipe for their Lime & Chili Mayo.

“Hi XXXX,

Thank you for your interest in our products.
A range consolidation by Woolworths means Lime & Chilli Mayo is no longer stocked by them.
As a result, this line is not currently in production.

An option is to make something similar using our Whole Egg Signature Mayo.
Stir in some Peri Peri sauce with the Mayo and a squeeze of lime. Stir & serve.
Great for chicken dippers. My ratio is 2 tablespoons of Mayo to 1 teaspoon of Peri Peri.

Whilst we are hopeful of having Lime Chilli Mayo returned to range, you may want to comment on the Woolworths website by using the link below.

Kind Regards,
Trevor Worley|Customer Service Team Leader| Birch & Waite Foods Pty Ltd
Add: 48-54 Meeks Rd. Marrickville NSW 2204, Australia
T: +61 2 8668 8000 F: +61 2 8668 8080
www.birchandwaite.com.au | Superior Quality”

Perhaps Woollies should remove the product labels from their shelves so as to save confusion.

1 Like

I sent the message below to Woollies through the link Birch & Waite provided in their response.

“I have been buying Birch & Waite Lime & Chili Mayonnaise for many years from you.
Imagine my disappointment when I went to your Earlville store specifically to buy another jar only to find out you no longer stock it.
Why have you dropped it when it always seemed to sell out faster than the other flavours?
Very disappointed.”

Chrome autofill added my name, email address and mobile number but they were all flagged so I had to type the exact same details.

Only at Woollies.

1 Like