Beware of Doors Plus

Thanks for the warning @Jenny1. If your sister needs any help with their consumer rights, please let me know.

3 Likes

Hello, thank you for your reply. Any information would be greatly appreciated. She has been told by doors plus she has got what she paid for.

2 Likes

Well, you can let her know that this isn’t the case under the law. The service delivered must of a reasonable quality, and judging by the photos that’s not the situation.

The first step in escalating the complaint is to get in touch with a manager at the Doors Plus you have been dealing with and put down the complaint in writing. Let them know that unless they are willing to rectify the issues, you’ll be raising a complaint with Fair Trading (or your state/territory equivalent). You’ll find some templates on our website that might be useful.

Once your sister has taken those steps, let me know and we can can advise further.

5 Likes

Wow, I’m having flashbacks. It sounds like they have a well-rehearsed routine for dealing with complaints. And it looks like George is using the same cheap composite timber for every job, though his work is getting even less skilled.

3 Likes

We recently purchased an extra-wide front door from DoorsPlus in Canberra. The installation craftsmanship and customer service have been more than disappointing. The door itself was excellent, as it should be for the thousands we paid. However, its installation that included a new door frame, is appalling. We have been told by other trades people who have seen it, that if an apprentice carpenter had done the job, s/he would have had their backside kicked. The door has so been hacked about around the lock and latch tongues that it requires a brass plate to hide the over-sized and crooked rebating. You can see light right around the door, including between the storm seal and the door step. Wind whistles through the gaps between the door and frame. The door frame is not square. It is not possible to successfully install draft seals as the gap between the door and frame varies so much. When we asked for help, DoorsPlus sent their installer to check his own work; naturally he told us that there is no problem. His only comment was that the door was too heavy for him to do a better job. Seriously? At our request, the manager of the Canberra store agreed to come and check the work, but then cancelled at the time he was supposed to be here. Now he refuses to come and see the job first-hand saying that the installer is a competent carpenter and he sees no reason to see the work himself. Three separate trades (from businesses doing other work for us) have all said that the job is well below what is acceptable. Now we need a proper carpenter to fix the job, at extra expense. Unless you want to throw away thousand of dollars, have your time wasted, and your intelligence insulted, we strongly recommend you avoid using DoorsPlus in Canberra. Doors Plus, What a Fuss!

3 Likes

We recently purchased an extra-wide front door from DoorsPlus in Canberra. The installation craftsmanship and customer service have been more than disappointing. The door itself was excellent, as it should be for the thousands we paid. However, its installation that included a new door frame, is appalling. We have been told by other trades people who have seen it, that if an apprentice carpenter had done the job, s/he would have had their backside kicked. The door has so been hacked about around the lock and latch tongues that it requires a brass plate to hide the over-sized and crooked rebating. You can see light right around the door, including between the storm seal and the door step. Wind whistles through the gaps between the door and frame. The door frame is not square. It is not possible to successfully install draft seals as the gap between the door and frame varies so much. When we asked for help, DoorsPlus sent their installer to check his own work; naturally he told us that there is no problem. His only comment was that the door was too heavy for him to do a better job. Seriously? At our request, the manager of the Canberra store agreed to come and check the work, but then cancelled at the time he was supposed to be here. Now he refuses to come and see the job first-hand saying that the installer is a competent carpenter and he sees no reason to see the work himself. Three separate trades (from businesses doing other work for us) have all said that the job is well below what is acceptable. Now we need a proper carpenter to fix the job, at extra expense. Unless you want to throw away thousand of dollars, have your time wasted, and your intelligence insulted, we strongly recommend you avoid using DoorsPlus in Canberra. Doors Plus, What a Fuss!

2 Likes

Hi @micmou, welcome to the forum.

Do you have any photos of the work performed as it would give community members an idea of the standard of the final installed product?

I have also moved your post to an existing thread about DoorsPlus in Fyshwick, Canberra. It appears while the doors in the salesroom are good, the tradespeople they offer to install the doors carry out work which is far from satisfactory.

There may also be information in the existing thread which is useful for you.

In relation to services, the Australian Consumer States:

Services must:

• be provided with acceptable care and skill or technical knowledge and taking all necessary steps to avoid loss and damage
  • be fit for the purpose or give the results that you and the business had agreed to
  • be delivered within a reasonable time when there is no agreed end date.

It appears that the tradesperson service wasn’t fit for the purpose or give the results that you and the business had agreed to.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @micmou,

You seem not the first to be similarly impressed. I presume the Fyshwick shop is the one you reference?

Since you have been fobbed off you do not need to accept being treated as it appears you have. You have consumer rights for products and services under the Australian Consumer Law. You can find myriad references using the search function on the forum, but the place to start is

and it appears you next step should be to use the ACL Letter of Complaints Template to send a formal letter to the owner, or sans finding the owner the manager. Keep real time notes of any conversation, try to have everything further in writing, and note that you must use specific words, reciting what was promised in the sale, what was delivered, how it varied, and explicitly what you want and with a reasonable date for their formal response.

If that is unsuccessful in getting attention, you can take that documentary attempted resolution to the tribunal for resolution.

Please let us know how you go, or if you need something further to get you going.

4 Likes

Looking at the Doors Plus website, there is only one store in Canberra, located in Fyshwick.

3 Likes

My heartfelt sympathies to you micmou. If you need any help making a case to DoorsPlus, let me know. I wish I’d taken more of a stand, but at the time I didn’t feel strong enough to fight such an accomplished shonky.

4 Likes

We’ve previously needed to seek assistance resolving a building related issue. I paid for a qualified building inspection/Certifier of the work item, and received a formal report. It resolved the issue.

The fit up of an external door and framing does need to meet weather proofing standards for construction as well as an acceptable standard of competent trade workmanship. The replacement door and frame should meet as new construction regulations. Whether the ACT building legislation extends to include the work provided by Doors Plus I can’t comment.

Having a professional written assessment may be one way to tip the balance and relieve some of the stress involved. It would prove useful in discussing the issue with the relevant consumer Fair Trade or Building Construction Authorities who license builders. Equally useful for those with $10k plus upgrades if in a civil action.

We were quoted a similar sum by Doors Plus at another location to upgrade an entrance to a deck to a 3.0m wide entry, excluding unspecified site costs. We declined having looked to Bunnings and the local Woodworkers for comparison pricing.

3 Likes

We also had a terrible experience with Doors Plus Fyshwick
 And after reading the Google reviews it appears they have had many unhappy customers

4 Likes

I purchased almost $2000 worth of doors, Hinges,Bar Handles and locks from Doors Plus three years ago. They recommended a Chinese lock called Viking and just on 3 years later a screw falls out rendering my door useless it’s unable to lock as the screw has gone missing. It’s the screw that holds the latch. I contacted Doors plus (so called) customer care and they told me unfortunately they can’t help me because it’s out of warranty. We really only are talking about 1 screw from a Chinese brand that only doors plus supply & sell yet they wash their hands of me? I told them if I can’t get the screw I’d have to replace the whole lock costing me $200 for a simple screw yet they are not phased because they would be the ones to sell me a $200 lock making another $200 off me a previous customer’ “Be warned” If you’re a customer or thinking of being one of their customers after three years they will not help you with any problems or issues that may arise. I spoke to Jimmy At “So called” customer care and a woman named Julia who claimed to be a manager at head office yet she was still unwilling to help even though I told her I’d be putting feedback to warn others she was still unwilling to help so once again be warned that the doors plus team do not care about their customers they are full of apologies but no sympathy if you buy from them and have a problem they will simply hang up on you after apologising. I originally went to Doors Plus because I thought I’d be in good hands. Obviously I was dead wrong.go somewhere smaller for better customer service or buy online eBay etc. or from China for the same shitty service but a guaranteed BETTER price.

5 Likes

Have you posted your unsatisfactory experience on Product Review?

Here are their reviews on Product Review.

I love their response to all the negative reviews.

Perhaps you might get a resolution unless their responses to the negative posts are just snake oil speak.

3 Likes

It is likely that the screw is not unique to the lock and it should be available either online or from a nuts and bolts business or ones that sell quality screws. Maybe leave someone at home and take the latch with you so that the correct one is purchased.

A screw should cost a few cents
but not much more.

Try searching for your local nuts and bolts suppliers or hardware store.

Screws do become lose over time and it may be best to use something like loctite or superglue to hold the screw in position to reduce its likelihood for becoming loose.

2 Likes

Excepting the issue was Doors Pus fobbing their customer off since the warranty expired, not necessarily that a screw could not be sourced. That a screw is a few cents makes their response worse rather than ‘meh’.

Since the original screw went missing, what screw should the OP seek? That might put his problem in perspective. They could have told the OP what screw to source, but apparently did not.

There are other topics about Doors Plus in ACT, so this could be educational for anyone considering any Doors Plus as a supplier.

4 Likes

If you want FAULTY PRODUCTS, SECOND RATE INSTALLATION and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, then I highly recommend this company.

Want a lock that doesn’t lock? Want a door that doesn’t fit? Want problems that no one will fix? These are your guys!

I have already contacted customer support numerous times. They are unwilling to provide a solution to replacing the faulty products they provided and installed.

Two external doors fitted, delivered and installed – Cost over $5,000.

Products suggested as suitable, spaces measured twice.

The short Version -

Issue 1 - Door not fitted and installed properly. Door uneven, has gaps, wind blows through. Deadbolt plate not secured, installation looks like a kindy project.

Issue 2 – Seals of door faulty. Rain comes in, wind blows through.

issue 3 – Back door. Didn’t lock. Now fixed.

issue 4 - Faulty glass in door.

The long version:

Door 1 - Double size external door-

Problem 1 – doesn’t lock. Installed with faulty locking system. Couldn’t lock the door. It was 2 weeks before someone would come to fix it. Yes, that’s right - my external door couldn’t be locked properly for two weeks.

The installer told me “this lock shouldn’t have been used. They always have a problem. I don’t know why we still use them” SO THEY KNOW they use dodgy products, and they do it anyway.

It was then another two weeks before the lock was replaced. 4 weeks later finally fixed.

Problem 2 – faulty glass. Manufacturing flaws in the glass, - complained about by other customer, yet it is still used. Visible water marks (which cannot be cleaned) – if you read other 1 star reviews about this company you will find that it is a known, existing issue but they still use the doors. AGAIN THEY KNOW ABOUT THE ISSUE but still charge full price and do not disclose it to customers.

Door 2 – standard size external front door

Issue 3 – installation . It was installed, but it doesn’t fit frame properly. Wind blows through sides. Was told “not our problem” even though they measured the frame and told us a standard size door will fit it. No solution forthcoming.

Issue 4 - the day after instal the internal seals came off. Rain came inside. I was told this door is old stock, it will probably need to be replaced. Two weeks later it was not replaced but “FIXED” with a piece of unsealed blue offcut. Water still comes inside. 5 weeks later still not fixed. The seals are faulty, allowing the wind to blow through. It can be easily felt and clearly heard.

So in short. Two dodgy doors. Poor measuring and amateurish installation. These guys have it all.

Repeated attempts to call and have the issue solved have met with, this is not our problem.

Don’t let it be your problem either, learn from my mistakes and find a better company than this for your doors.

I have contacted ACCC and Fair Trading NSW. I suggest anyone else with a problem do the same. I will be happy to provide assistance and advice on how I have done this because I do not believe that people should get away with this BS. Please get in touch via complaintsaboutdoorsplus @ gmail . com.

4 Likes

Welcome to the Community @disgruntled, I merged your recent experience to this older topic about Doors Plus - seems not much has changed.

It reads like you are atop things but have you sent them a formal Letter of Complaint, often something Fair Trading will require before they look at anything? There are many links to Australian Consumer Law and your rights and the Letter of Complaint linked on the Community already, easily found using the Community search tool.

Whether corporate or franchise some locations can be excellent and others seriously wanting. Doors Plus seems to be a love-hate relationship where they get it right or the install goes pear shaped and if one goes into productreview (always read the reviews there with some scepticism) and filters the 1-stars, it is usually customer service.

2 Likes

Thank you Phil T. I have emailed them with the heading “Complaint order number xxx” but I did not title it formal complaint. I will get onto that now.
In this case, the issue is the faulty products, and then the installation faults, which was then followed up by a lack of customer service. I got the trifecta of bad.
Appreciate your advice. Actioning that now.

5 Likes

Did you read my post above?

Perhaps give them a serve on Product Review.

If nothing else, you will get a laugh at their BS response.

3 Likes