Best SIM only plan provider

It is, but most providers allow an autorecharge to be set up and I know that on Telstra and its MNVOs, its usually 30 days which is a lot better. I think that would be the case for Aldi, but amaysim… hmm… dunno.

Yes, but so is using the terms megabyte, gigabyte and terabyte to refer respectively to 1,000 kilobytes, 1,000 megabytes and 1,000 gigabytes, but hard drive manufacturers have been doing this for decades. (Strictly speaking, all these references are historically to binary numbers and so should be 1,024 xbytes).

But there is a clear difference: everyone who’s selling hard drives uses the same definition of MB, so no-one is getting an unfair advantage. Selling “$15 per month” plans when Amaysim mean 28 days and others mean 30 days is getting an unfair advantage.

Except that they didn’t all move to the new definition at the same time, and even now that they have what your hard drive claims to be will not match what Windows tells you it can hold. Additionally, your computer’s RAM is measured in binary.

I do agree with you though - in both instances the actions are misleading.

That was courtesy of the HDD manufacturers leaving computerese for everydayness and getting bigger, more impressive numbers for less. In response, new units, although JEDEC remains ‘pure’ but note the single difference in use of upper case - born to confuse the punters?

Sometimes changing the jargon the practitioners use is easier than educating the masses, in most any setting.

Has there been consideration that months vary from 28 to 31 days?

Some of it is national culture, for example in the US rent is per (calendar) month not per week. People seem to be able to adapt.

2 Likes

I read Telstra’s terms for prepaid and their month is normally 28 days, if you recharge a day or two early your expiry date is 28 days from the recharge date (if using monthly recharges). If you however set up Auto-recharge then you will get up to 3 days extra ie if your recharge date is the 27th of any month then each recharge will occur on the 27th and with most months being 30 or 31 days this means 2 or 3 days extra. If February it will be either 28 days or 29 (depending on whether it is a Leap Year or not). If not auto-recharging it will expire on the 28th day after you recharge at almost midnight (24 hour clock time 23:59:59).

Yeah I know what the T&C says. But I have had T Prepaid, and auto-recharge gets you 30 days, and you dont end up paying for 13 months.

1 Like

Yes, as I noted auto-recharge will gain you extra days in all Months barring non Leap Year Februarys with Telstra but those extra days are a benefit they add for auto-recharge. What I am pointing out though is that Telstra equate 28 days to a month in their normal T&Cs for prepaids, so 28 days in their usage to mean a month is not deceptive or misleading and is clearly defined, it is an acceptable term for a month and is used by many others in both this industry and others. Just some in this discussion want a month to mean only a calendar month and this is not always the case eg most Real Estate agreements here refer to a month of rental payments as a 28 day period (4 weeks).

Ah yes. OK i get your point.

1 Like

I’ve been with Amaysim for years @ $12.50 a month (which is only 1GB of data but enough for me) and never had any problems. However I have been looking at Pennytel recently too.

A news article about ALDIMobile that also references the CHOICE result about the ALDI ones. Obviously CHOICE is still a preferred and trusted provider of information.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tech/2019/05/28/best-mobile-plan-aldi

4 Likes

The Aldi Mobile $99 Super Pack is coming to Aldi stores on 24 June. 365 days unlimited domestic calls and texts, 15 GB data. Once you have it you can auto (or manually) renew it and IME unused data rolls over. There are data add-ons if you are running out before the year is up. Telstra wholesale network service.

I don’t stream videos but use some apps, check email, and check sites on the internet to comparison shop when I shop, and only used ~3 GB of data all last year. For us light users that is $8.25 a month, not so bad.

2 Likes

I see Boost has now discontinued its $150/365day plan. If you want a long life its $200 or $300 with more data than you can poke a stick at. I’m currently on Woolworths $60/12GB/6m but plan to switch to the $10/1GB/m (because I just dont use much at all) to be able to access the data banking (up to 200GB). Handy for emergency hotspotting.

2 Likes

ALDI have had their $99 pack on sale, some Stores may still have it in their stock. Once signed up you can renew the plan year after year without having to repurchase the pack while it is on sale.

It comes with

• Unlimited standard calls, SMS & MMS to Australian numbers
  • 15GB data included
  • 365 days expiry

Excludes some use such as: calls to international numbers, satellite numbers, and premium numbers (e.g. 19xx numbers), video MMS, SMS/MMS to international or satellite numbers, and premium numbers (e.g. 19xx numbers). Any MMS that includes video or audio is charged at $1 and is taken from your Pay As You Go (PAYG) credit.

It was available from Wednesday 24 June so if interested ask at a local ALDI Store if they have any left, if they don’t just ask them if they would mind contacting another localish store to see if they have any.

2 Likes

I like woolies mobile

Wow - that is a big turnaround - there are better Telstra plans than Boost for me now. I guess I’ll be porting back on next renewal, or going elsewhere …

1 Like

Do aldi or woolies. Or if you can wear monthly, Boost still has the $20/m as usual

1 Like

Sadly ALDI and Woolies don’t offer nearly the same coverage in remote areas
Boost seems to use the whole Telstra network except 5g.
Not a big deal for most people I guess, but for some (me) it is :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Boost it is then, Telstra prepaid is very poor value

2 Likes

We have been with Boost for many years. Great coverage and value. Virtually Telstra prepaid but cheaper.

1 Like