šŸŒ Best internet provider

Reinstalling may resolve the issue. This is because VPN software often creates a new internet adapter and if similar adapters are being used this may require another install to properly create it.

If a VPN starts automatically on OS startup my recommendation is to disable this choice and start it when the OS has fully booted up (this may be a manual or auto delayed startup). This gives time for all required drivers to be running before attempting to run a VPN.

4 Likes

Thansk grahroll, suppose I trie. I asked for customer support, once I noticed it ā€œcanā€™t connectā€, but that didnā€™t help, but I will seeā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks PhilT, I am pretty convinced, as I instaled Vanish, it was recommended by Choice test, but as described, I had troubles in the 2nd(?) year of using it.

4 Likes

The best internet provider may be decided by the market rather than on the ACCC reports (posted in this topic).

This article should be read in addition to other reports but reinforces what seems to be happening. The comment about call centres coming back to Australia is telling.

3 Likes

Some behind the scenes issues with NBN providers. Not a good look.

2 Likes

And for those of us who try to stay away from News Corp:

1 Like

No mention as to who the others may be?

Since 2018, ACMA has taken action against 30 telcos for non-compliance with the database rules, including giving remedial directions and nearly $4m in penalties.

Is the issue specific to the physical location of the phone services attached to an NBN service, or the RSPā€™s mobile phone products, or ā€¦ ?

1 Like

I question the validity of rating ISPs on upload/download performance, as surely they are in turn beholden to the NBN.
Iā€™m with TPG with an HFC connection and it seems Iā€™m one of the lucky ones. Iā€™m consistently getting download speeds of 250 mbps or more. Any time, day or night.

I suggest that you expand that a bit as it isnā€™t clear to me what you mean. How should ISP performance be measured? Why is it that the currently measured figures are not useful?

The ultimate provider of the vast majority of internet connections is the NBN, and I suspect the vast majority of less than perfect upload/download performance results stems from them, particularly in the case of HFC. Note that I didnā€™t say the current figures are not useful.

1 Like

While the nbnā„¢ is the backbone almost all RSP rely on, it is what CVC each purchase from NBN Co that determines what speeds particularly during peak times that their users will experience. If not enough CVC then a user will find that during peak periods where many others are online with their provider that the maximum speeds will be savagely less than what their plan has as Maximum.

The ACCC program allows all users to see what RSP performance is like over the month and year, those with a Whitebox are able to see their connection in much finer detail. This often shows where CVC is adequate or inadequate. The ACCC also collects information about disconnections experienced and can allow them to determine if RSPs are responding to faults in timely manners.

Wireless and Satellite connections are are a little different in that often it is congestion (too many users for the service), and weather being the reason for poor speed outcomes rather than what CVC has been purchased by any RSP.

3 Likes

So how do the different ISPs get different results?

How can the ratings of upload/download performance be invalid but useful?

Thanks for that. I stand (at least partially) corrected. I have heard so many reports of HFC not being up to scartch, when mine have been IMHO tremendous

2 Likes

HFC can work well if no power outages in the area of coverage are experienced and the RSP that a user uses has purchased sufficient CVC. It is able to provide speeds of around 500 Mbps as itā€™s threshold (with future improvements this may be around 1 Gbps or more) so 250 Mbps is quite doable.

There is no backup power system for HFC, it will fail if power is lost on any stage from the userā€™s home to the Concentrator where coaxial is converted to optical fibre. This can mean it is less reliable than systems that are able to be backup powered. @PhilT has noted many instances of failures due to power outages on their HFC connection.

HFC is an expensive technology to both install and maintain. While it provides great speed, in terms of reliability and cost to provide it, it isnā€™t a good choice (nor are are many of the MTM NBN mixes of tech).

2 Likes

Pointless discussing ā€œchoicesā€ where the NBN is involved. With them the end user gets what theyā€™re given. Iā€™m in an HFC street, so thatā€™s what I got. No, Iā€™m not complaining.

With their record delivering mail in recent times, adding insurance and ā€˜as seen on TVā€™ products in each shop, drum roll

I have been with IInet for many years with a 50mbs HFC service. Over the last few months I have been regularly checking the download speeds and I am finding that they are hovering around the 40Mbs mark most times and seldom above 42Mbs.during peak times (evenings and after school it can get down to 35Mbs.
I tried emailing IInet but got no reply.
Out of desperation I am putting this to Choice.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @RodneyBower.
Assume through those many years with iiNet you are familiar with iiNet technical support online and by phone 132258
ā€˜https://help.iinet.net.au/

Have you discussed with their tech support team, and if so what feedback did they provide? There are a number of possible explanations for the speeds you have measured. Some are on the incoming NBN side of your service. Others may be with your home networking and devices.

HFC services can slow down due to congestion. Itā€™s not the only explanation. Changing provider will not necessarily resolve speed loss if it is a capacity issue or technical limitation on the NBN side of the service. There is another community topic that may be of interest.

Note:
Weā€™ve a long history using iiNet and previously Westnet. We recently left iiNet moving our home service to Aussie Broadband, although I still have an NBN HFC service through iiNet in the city.

1 Like

This speed outcome may be a result of congestion, HFC is a shared line resource. More people online in the HFC area of service can and will affect the speeds achieved. Another reason can be the amount of CVC the Retail Service Provider has purchased, most try to be ā€œclose to the boneā€ when they purchase CVC.

1 Like

Choice updated articles.

One takeaway is despite their large market share Telstra is premium priced for fairly ordinary service. The beneficiaries are their shareholders not their customers.

2 Likes