šŸŒ Best internet provider

Thanks! I knew someone here would be able to tell me (Iā€™m learning so much!).

Canā€™t wait to start streaming everything.

1 Like

@TillySouth, @tndkemp is correct but the expected ratio for downloads vs uploads are usually better, say between 7 (best case) to about 20 (worst case) and you are right on the worst case (13.3/.65 = 20.4). Your relatively slow upload performance could be a setting in your modem or even a rough splice in your copper wire. Your mind could glaze reading this, but if you scan down there is a table showing the maximums possible.

I get 10.2 down and .68 up (ratio = 15). I have a nasty splice in my copper courtesy of a neighbour accidentally digging it up; I lost about 100 kb upload speed when Telstra fixed it. Because of where the copper runs it cannot be easily replaced so it is what it is and is within reason. I wonā€™t get into the reasons only uploads were affected, but it has to do with how ADSL uses the frequency spectrum on a wire.

Even though your upload speed is slow, in a practical sense it probably does not make much difference unless you send very large files (megabytes) quite often. If you have a techie friend maybe they could check your modem settings to make sure they are optimal.

1 Like

Try fast.com and speedtest.net and see what result they show, Feel free to pm me if you need extra help as I can arrange to remote login to your computer and check it if you wish. Fast will only show download speed as it is only concerned with that as it is about Netflix. Speedtest will do both up and down.

If you are really only about 700 m from the exchange there is a problem with your speeds. At this distance they should be closer to 24 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. I would think it could be old copper or a noisy line and my first choice would be a noisy line (this can be poor copper, bad joins and water in the street connections). Do you hear hiss crackles or pops (no no not Coco Pops) if you have a telephone plugged inā€¦if so this is line noise and it will force your modem/router to renegotiate line speeds downwards until it gets best speed with the least loss. If you can hear the noise complain to your provider.

2 Likes

Well done making the offer @grahroll :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Ruth sounds great - let us know how it goes so others can maybe give this one a try too.
Good to be able to save money too these days its rare!

2 Likes

Hi @rvitek.

Thanks for giving everyone an update and the decision you ultimately made. Quite often posters donā€™t find out the resolution to a original question and it is appreciated that you took the effort to let everyone know. It makes one contributions, even though they may be different to the outcome, worthwhile.

Well done and thanks again.

3 Likes

Well I have now been with Teleron for nearly a week. The internet is going just fine and I have not noticed any difference in my upload/download speeds. I have not noticed any decrease in speed from dropping to 50Mb/s from 100Mb/s and speed test have not changed. It also makes no difference in peak hour vs non-peak hour. I will continue to monitor but so far I am impressed.

Only one or two tiny point. I am still waiting on my landline connection but I knew this would probably take a week or so longer that the internet connection so hopefully my landline will be connected tomorrow or Wednesday. The instructions to install the modem were not quite correct and I had a fair idea of what I should do but put in a service call just in case. At the moment Teleron do not have a phone number (that is coming soon) but a message via their website sent via my mobile has a service guy call me back within minutes and I was up and running a few minutes after that.

So at this stage I would definitely recommend Teleron. Their prices are great and so is their service. Note that they are NBN providers only and not ADSL. If anything changes I will provide another comment.

Cheers

Ruth

2 Likes

I thought Iā€™d update the thread on how I went!

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m even saying this, given the write-up that TPG sometimes get: my internet is fast, reliable and works. Amazing.

I just found out the rollout of the NBN will be happening at my address in early 2018, but until then Iā€™m happy with my current service. Happy days!

2 Likes

I am glad your connection is working well for you. Most people get good service but there are always bad outcomes no matter who you chose. If it works and does what you want at the price you like then it is a success :slight_smile:

2 Likes

TPG map only shows Brisbane area in Qld. Nothing further north - Iā€™m in Rockhampton.

The NBN is in most parts of Rockhampton and TPG are a reseller there. I am not sure what areas are covered nor what they are using eg wireless, copper or other but it is worth contacting them if you are interested.

One final update on my experience with Teleron and I can not complain. It did take a little longer than expected to get the landline working properly - I could call out but others couldnā€™t call me. The problem was resolved pretty quickly and was not the fault of Teleron but the first tier phone network (i.e. probably Telstra) who supply the infrastructure. Everything is working fine now and my first bill only included the days that I had full telephone service, not the entire month.

As far as speed goes, I have not noticed that much difference going with the lower speed. Occasionally things can be a little bit slower if I am streaming during peak time but not very noticeable and there are no problems with online uni lectures etc.

So far, Teleron have delivered what they said they would - a good, robust service at a very competitive price. If you are looking for a new ISP I would recommend that you give them a go.

1 Like

Hello CHOICE Community!

Iā€™m moving house and need to get internet. Iā€™ve never managed this process (currently I live with my brother who has foxtel and organised all the internet things for me). I am incredibly confused and naive when it comes to getting connected.

What I know:

• I donā€™t have cable on my street
  • Iā€™m pretty close to the exchange
  • I like to stream on Netflix and this will be the bulk of my TV watching (maybe one tv show a night)
  • Iā€™m not a heavy gamer or downloader
  • Itā€™s just me (one person!)
  • I donā€™t have a wireless router or modem (are the ones they provide any good?)
  • I have a limited budget, so pricing is important

Who do you get your ADSL from and how have you found the experience with that provider?

Thanks in advance for your protips or warnings! It seems like there are a lot of terrible providers out thereā€¦

1 Like

Iinet - never again. Issue after issue. Crap internet service and customer service. Dropped out repeatedly, slow as well.

Moved end of September. Went with Belong. Signed up online. Was connected in around a week, telstra had to connect phone line for adsl. Compared to 10 weeks with iinetā€¦

So far so good. Service has been good when ive needed to talk to Belong, which has been rare. Internet doesnt drop out and speed is better than with iinet/ at last residence.

3 Likes

I read the other day adsl is one of the slowest connection types.

Never knew.

2 Likes

3.27Mbps download
0.78Mbps upload
Latency: 77 ms
Server: Sydney
Your Internet speed is slow

Your Internet connection should be able to handle one device at a time streaming a video. If multiple devices are using this connection at the same time, you may run into some slowdowns.

ā€¦ Lol it handles netflix and general email, browsing etc fine

3 Likes

Thereā€™s horror stories all around - Iā€™d say Internode is one of the best, but that was ā€˜thenā€™ and I still had them to the TIO three times. Banks are a similar thing, as you can see on Choice in a few threads - the summary is they all suck, its which one sucks the least and then there is still personal experience and local patches of ā€˜customer service goodnessā€™. Now back on Internode, they are in the same bucket with iiNet and whoever the clowns are that own them both - and all beholding to the Muppet Show that is the NBN:

Enjoy. I have a great connection at the moment, for a couple of reasons, not the least of which that my 25mb/s NBN services routinely gives me:

ā€¦ so the Choice community loads in a flash :wink: Of course the various speed tests are a religious argument in themselves, but I know I can snaffle lots of content real quick over a torrent without upsetting the gamers in the family - more of a real-world test ā€¦

I remember carefully closing the lid on a varnished wooden box that housed an acoustic coupler with no error correction running at 300 bp/s and hoping nobody else in the house would lift a handset and try to dial, on a rotary decadic dialler. ADSL is quicker. Mind you, our expectations have changed, Iā€™ll give you that - but I thought that box was pretty damn cool back in 1981, in fact, if ā€œit rockedā€ was a term back then, Iā€™d have said ā€œit rockedā€, but instead it was ā€œcoolā€ and I said ā€œits a ripperā€ ā€¦ or something ā€¦

Yeah thatā€™s probably a bit average in these times - is that ADSL or NBN? either way, what is your distance from the exchange/node and what plan are you on?

2 Likes

With decades in IT and for most of my technical life using very powerful systems of their era I have realised that what is acceptable to someone could be unacceptable to another. Consistency of experience is actually more important than top peaks for customer satisfaction so long as a usable level is delivered. Mainframes had operating system features called ā€˜dynamic minimum response timeā€™ whereby the user always experienced the response of a fully loaded mainframe, even if he was the only one on at the time. It was demonstrated if he got great response sometimes and comparatively poor response at other times he was less satisfied than if he always got consistently poorer response.

In my more recent life as a ā€˜PC jockeyā€™ I have usually been frustrated with how slow my ā€˜worldā€™ is. At the same time I have looked over the shoulders of others who have been content with the performance of their ā€˜worldā€™, that was to me so slow I would have figuratively thrown it out the window in frustration.

My ADSL2 runs at 12Mbps+ most of the time. Sometimes it will drop into the 9Mbps range because of old copper and weather and such, and I and my partner notice when browsing. A mate who is less fortunate has a connection that never gets above the 5Mbps range and he is quite happy. Likewise my desktop is an i7 runs reasonably fast for its native applications, while my notebook is a low power i7 that is extraordinarily leisurely in comparison, so I only use it when necessary but it is actually as fast as my partnerā€™s work environment! And so we each go.

2 Likes

Weā€™ve recently tested NBN plans using real-world performance tests. Use our test to help find the best internet provider.

3 Likes

The latest data is in, find the best broadband with our latest review, powered from real world test data from Honesty Box.

5 Likes