Best Dishwashers Review & Recommendations

We lab test the latest dishwashers, from conventional to drawer, slimline, and compact sizes across the most popular brands. Our test looks at which machines:

• wash best
  • dry best
  • use the least water and energy
  • have more features
  • are quieter than others
  • have the best member-rated reliability scores

Find the best dishwasher (member content), or read our dishwasher buying guide for everything you need to know about dishwashers.

Have a question? Ask us in the comments below.

2 Likes

Hi, I was recently in the market to purchase a new dishwasher and I, of course, checked the Choice website. What I discovered while comparing the various models was the huge price differential from what was quoted by Choice to what the purchase price is.

As an example, the Bosch SMS50E32Au is listed on Choice as $949 I have found it for $669 including delivery and removal of the old dishwasher.

It would be helpful if the prices reflected closer to the purchase price. Maybe have two costs listed for each item - the retailers recommended price and the price found.

UPDATE - After further research, I ended up choosing a Bosch SMS50M22AU which was listed on Choice as $1199 and only paid $745!

4 Likes

Thanks @jeoffer, that’s good feedback and appreciate the example as well. I’ll be sure to pass it on.

2 Likes

Our dishwasher review (member content) has been updated with the latest models.

3 Likes

Note that we quote RRP, not store pricing, which can be greatly discounted based on many factors. RRP is the only thing that we can use as a consistent guide across the country since even regionality can have a bit impact on final price.

2 Likes

Dear Brendan
I have a Miele G1023 BRW Freestanding Dishwasher. I purchased my dishwasher in 2008 and have not had any trouble with it. It is efficient and meets all the needs of our family. BUT why is the filter so hard to clean? Do you clean the drain filters of the machines you test. I rinse the food off the plates before I put them in the dishwasher but the filter cleaning is a job I hate. I clean my filter every month, It cannot be taken apart completely to give it a good soak and scrub with an old toothbrush. I never feel it is squeaky clean when I put it back into the machine. I would like to see how you rate cleaning the dishwasher filter - easy or difficult.
kind regards
Marisue

4 Likes

Hi Marisue,
Filter cleaning is outside the scope of our testing, which focuses on performance, and the difficulty or otherwise of cleaning the filter is a very subjective matter. It’s good to hear you actually get in and do it regularly though - it’s important for the efficient operation of your dishwasher, but most people don’t touch it until their appliance breaks down. As unpleasant a job as it is though, it’s still significantly quicker than if you had to wash all those dishes by hand, and will most likely be extending the life of your dishwasher - though I know that’s slim consolation when you’re in the thick of it…

3 Likes

Check that the filters are easy to remove and clean is called out in the buying guide.

3 Likes

Thank you Ash for your prompt reply to my question. If it’s important for the efficient operation of my dishwasher, to clean the filter drain once a month why not after your testing for - which washes best, dries best, energy and water use, quieter, and best member-rated scores, open up the filter drain and have a look at it and rate if it looks easy enough for a little old lady to bend down into the bottom of the dishwasher and pull it out and clean it? Sounds easy enough for an able bodied male tester to do. I often wonder if the manufacturers/designers of dishwashers, washing machines, free standing stoves etc. have the cleaning factor in mind when they design their whitegoods. Do they ask is this machine going to be easy to clean? I can assure you that to a woman buying a machine - that is one of the most important aspects to look for.
kindest regards
Marisue

4 Likes

Crickey, I posted my comments back on July 17 and I am getting a response in March 2018?

2 Likes

good responses are timeless :wink: it’s interesting how easy it is to miss topics and posts on a forum - there are well over 2000 topics and 20000 posts on this forum, but of the 13000+ users only 8 have read more than half of both …

3 Likes

Some of us have to work for a living and can’t keep track of all the posts - even when it is a forum that we run! :smiley:

3 Likes

LOL. Hi, it was an observation, not a criticism, it was not my intent to upset you friend.

3 Likes

We have surveyed members and used the insights from testing over 300 dishwashers in our labs in the past five years to reveal the best brand dishwashers for 2018 (member content)

2 Likes

We reveal the best dishwasher brands for 2019 (member content):

2 Likes

Has anyone had good experiences with a dishwasher brand?

In March this year, I was ready to buy and had chosen Miele based on a Choice review. I sent an enquiry to sales@miele.com.au seeking guidance on which model would suit my needs, and assurances regarding installation and warranty support. I didn’t receive any response.Online reviews of Miele are scathing, some relating to poor product quality and most relating to very poor after-sales and warranty service experiences. I did not proceed with a purchase at that time.

I’m resurrecting my quest and am after a dishwasher with excellent washing and drying performance, very quiet operation, a unit that heats the water itself (to use the energy from my solar panels rather than from my gas hot water unit), durable design - including the baskets and excellent energy and water use ratings.

Another important factor is professional installation. I have a slate floor which is easily damaged. The last dishwasher repairman who attended my premises refused to use a trolley with pneumatic wheels (even though I made one available). He used a trolley with hard wheels which clunked heavily down a step and irreparably damaged a slate tile. He scurried off and drove away quickly before I could inspect the damage. I would like to be confident that the installers will use the right equipment to avoid damaging my premises and take every care in executing the installation.

4 Likes

We had a 2010 model Bosch for 5 years. It was the best design for our needs, a quiet and reliable performer and slightly better value at the time than a similar Miele.

I’d suggest our other great experiences have been with two Miele, in respect of reliability and over all performance. One was still going great after 10 years daily use in a previous residence. The other is a 2015 model, in our current home. At the time of purchase it was a better price and availability than the equivalent Bosch.

We’ve purchased all 3 from the best of the lower end models with electronic push button controls and stainless panels, ($1200-$1600) at the time.

It’s now 2021 going on 2022. Models change as do businesses.

Understand your angst re the installation services. Warranty does not require the supplier to provide the installer. It may suit your circumstances to use one of the local trades with whom you have good experience.

2 Likes

Hi @margotk,

I merged your query into this one re the Choice tests because it, as sometimes is the case, highlights differences between laboratory tests and consumer experiences.

That seems a matter between the shop and the consumer to put it in writing. Most shops have multiple crews, some tops and some ordinary who still get it done - at least until they don’t. Most will claim they have nothing but top installers; many of us have experienced otherwise from time to time.

We have consumer rights regarding the service being done properly and should be submitting a claim for your tile. If the installers do not take responsibility reference your rights under the Australian Consumer Law, collate documentation and photos, and deliver a formal Letter of Complaint. Unfortunately broken tile is not always replaceable (no longer available, colour lot, etc) with a like one so it can be problematic.

Our current dishwasher is a Siemens (Bosch). It is very quiet, has nice thick wire on the baskets, and is fine for us yet imperfect. Its biggest fault is drying with our dishes - at end cycles there is always slight wet here and there unless ‘extra dry’ is set that uses a hotter final rinse and commensurately more power when that matters.

The previous was a Miele in the house when we bought it, no worries but when it was time to buy one a major consideration was the basket configuration and the Miele did not suit.

3 Likes

A reply I did for you in March.

As I posted elsewhere, it is so quiet that my wife came into our office to say it was not running but when she returned to the kitchen, the timer was actually counting down.

As I also posted elsewhere, my 3 picks for major appliances are Bosch, Bosch and Bosch.

3 Likes

We’ve had a Bosch and find it excellent; washes well, dries well and is quiet.

4 Likes