Best credit card for overseas purchases?

If you pay me through PayPal – whatever credit card you use to back up your PayPal account with – they charge me to collect it.

To illustrate – if you buy something for $A100 and forward that amount to PayPal to transfer it to me (however and wherever any currency conversion might apply), PayPal only let me have $96 of it. If you had absolutely no alternative but to use PayPal, then I’d wear PayPal’s $4 charge. But because there always is an alternative payment method that you can use if you want to, then I prefer that that $4 is paid by you rather than by me…

So I tell my customers that I prefer payment by EFT, credit card, or even cheque, in preference to PayPal; but that if they insist on using PayPal they can and I’ll charge 4% extra to offset PayPal’s charges. And that 4% is what it is because that’s (roughly) what PayPal set it at…

Leave PayPal out of the equation and use your 28 Degrees card directly for your purchase, and if you’re an international customer you’re home dry. (If you’re a local customer and prefer to use a credit card instead of EFT or a cheque, then I charge 2% for credit card use as well; but that’s another story.)

In my view, both PayPal and eBay charge far too much for their services, and I myself no longer use either of them unless there’s no alternative.

1 Like

I agree having done the same comparison 28 Degrees is the best .

1 Like

28 degrees users: note the 50% increase in late fee coming soon … applies to most of the Latitude cards, some of which have other customer service improving fee hikes …

Of course the weasels have been let out of the cage:

“We periodically review our fees so we can continue to invest in offering new features and benefits, improve our service to you, and ensure we’re covering the cost of doing business. We try to do this as infrequently as possible. We have done our best to ensure these changes have the lowest impact.”

Pay on time :slight_smile:

2 Likes