Best cookware for induction cooktop?

Husband bought me baccarat - ID3 set but reading really bad reviews Unopened so can take back but which is better

In my experience, any cookware without the ‘hard anodised’ coating works better on my Induction Cooktop.

I don’t follow you. On cookware anodising refers to a surface treatment of aluminium which is not suitable for induction stoves.

1 Like

Some Baccarat cookware comes with a Induction capable base and hard anodised sides/interior. I have some. It is nowhere near as good on an induction cooktop as similar Baccarat cookware without the anodised surfaces.

I’ve used a Baccarat ID3 ~18cm saucepan on my induction cooktop for years without problems. Very small bits of the hard anodised surface have come off here and there around the rim from bumps and scrapes when washing up, stacking etc, but that doesn’t affect usability.

4 Likes

There are some sites which have given the cookware series 5 stars from 55 reviews and others 1.9 stars from 114 reviews. Some of the negative reviews aren’t about the quality of the product, but from perceptions that the cookware takes a long time to heat up or from inadequate information about the type of non-stick coating. Others because the coating scratched or had possibly been damaged through use (which may or may not be a quality issue either).

Baccarat indicate that the ID3 series are suitable for induction cooktops.

Any cookware will have mixed reviews, even cookware which has appeared in the community has had mixed reviews from different users. Some it has been great, other have found issues with it from its use.

If you do chose to take it back, see what the change in mind policy of the retailer you bought it from is. Change of mind sits outside the Australian Consumer Law and retailers can set their own policies in relation to how to deal with change in minds (from offering no changes/exchanges/refunds to full refunds)

4 Likes

Have a look at Scan Pan and Analon offerings . Don’t get their non stick coated saucepans . No need for it . I use Chef Inox and am very happy with it .

6 Likes

Take a magnet when you go shopping for the cookware. If the magnet doesn’t adhere to the bottom/base of the cookware it is unsuitable regardless of what it says. I haven’t tested it, but I suspect that the better the magnet adheres, the better performance you will get from the cookware on the induction cooktop.

6 Likes

Wikipedia covers the technology and function reasonably comprehensively. Their summary:
For nearly all models of induction cooktops, a cooking vessel must be made of, or contain, a ferrous metal such as cast iron or some stainless steels. The iron in the pot concentrates the current to produce heat in the metal. If the metal is too thin, or does not provide enough resistance to current flow, heating will not be effective. Induction tops typically will not heat copper or aluminum vessels because the magnetic field cannot produce a concentrated current, but cast iron, enameled, carbon steel and stainless steel pans will usually work. Any vessel can be used if placed on a suitable metal disk which functions as a conventional hotplate.

There is no direct comment on the strength of magnetic attraction determining the conversion efficiency. I’ve noticed that some of our aluminium and stainless cookware have patterned or profiled bases that are magnetic. Also marked as “induction” suitable. It’s possibly more complex. One for the Choice brains trust to test or research. The aluminium Tefal pans appear to have a very thin SS base which has a complex cut pattern. The ScanPan SS saucepans are only magnetic on the base. Internally and on the pot sides there is no magnetic effect, hence they too have a special base plate different to the rest of the pot.

5 Likes

Yes, ID3 does work on induction cooktops but it’s slower to heat up than older Baccarat cookware without the nonstick coating.

2 Likes

I really can’t notice any difference at all, the ID3 saucepan heats up just as fast as my larger 4litre SS Baccarat saucepans.

4 Likes

OK, the science is now in!

Does not stack up.

I’ve just done an experiment that shows there is negligible difference between the Baccarat anodised ID3 saucepan, and the Baccarat 100% stainless steel saucepan

Induction cooktop set to “boil water”
1.5l ID3, 1m40s to heat 500ml of water from 22C to 64C
3.5l SS, 1m 40s to heat 500ml water from 22C to 65C

Induction was turned off at 1m 40, and water swirled around for a few seconds until the temperature stopped rising. The 1C difference is negligible, perhaps reflecting the larger saucepan better utilising the larger induction coil in the cooktop.

4 Likes

It does show that perceptions, which can lead to a negative experience, may not be based on facts.

In today’s world when everything is supposed to happen yesterday, even if there is no difference, to some, the same perceptions may apply if they happened to have bought other cookware.

3 Likes