Best Anzac biscuits

It’s the thought that counts. :slightly_smiling_face:

My Gran would use the common Anzac base recipe adding sultanas and lightly crushed cornflakes. No need to guess what they were called. It’s likely there are a number of variations around whether from the strict period of WW1 or as retakes on the theme.

2 Likes

There are rules associated with calling a commercially made biscuit and ANZAC biscuit, and deviating from the standard ingredients the biscuits may not be able to be called ANZAC biscuits.

The Australian War Memorial has two traditional recipes…as earlier versions didn’t have coconut. I must try these ones to see how they stack up against our regular recipe…

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/encyclopedia/anzac/biscuit/recipe

4 Likes

I guess you havent tried Coles. Their in house anzacs are, if anything, too soft.

1 Like

It’s amazing the difference in texture you can get from a fairly small adjustment in the ratio of flour/sugar/fat.

3 Likes

I have a Miss Schauer (as my mum always referred to her as) cookbook that belonged to mum. She received it as a wedding present in 1950. I love it; so many good recipes.
For Anzac biscuits, I use the Women’s Weekly recipe.

1 Like

The only good Anzac Biscuit is a home made one. We make them all the time; they’re not just reserved for Anzac Day.

4 Likes

Woman’s Weekly recipe, made by my wife today. Delicious :yum:

3 Likes

All one needs is a cuppa…and to put ones feet up…bliss.

3 Likes

… or perhaps dunk them in a nice vintage port? :wink: still with feet up of course !

2 Likes

We made the Anzac Tiles/Wafers today and they are quite good. Don’t expect a sweet biscuit like the ones we know today. They are a bit like an unsweetened scone, albeit a little denser.

They were perfect with a cuppa and would also match well with honey, jam or even quince jelly.

They are worth trying if one is trying to reduce one’s sugar intake.

NB…as we couldn’t get wholemeal flour, we made our v own by adding pulverised bran worms/all bran to plain flour. These added a pleasant flavour as well.

1 Like