Beef And Guinness Stew Recipe

I have been cooking beef and Guinness stews over the past several months which are the best stews we have ever tasted.

As the recipe was a combination of ingredients from 3 beef and Guinness recipes I had printed from various websites, I decided to type my actual version so as to save reading all 3 recipes every time I cooked it, as I did so again last night.

I always use our stove top pressure cooker and I have never needed to add any stock, contrary to the recipes. The consistency is perfect.

If you would like to try it, I have listed the recipe below.

BEEF AND GUINNESS STEW RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
1 kg stewing steak, excess fat removed, cut in 3 cm cubes.
250 g speck, fat removed, diced.
12 small kipfler potatoes, cut in 2-3 cm lengths.
3-4 large carrots, cut in 2-3 cm lengths.
3-4 celery stalks, diced.
200 g portabella mushrooms, sliced.
3 medium onions, diced.
4 garlic cloves, minced.
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 bay leaves.
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce.
1 440 ml can of Guinness.
Plain flour for coating meat.
Freshly ground sea salt.
Freshly cracked pepper.
Olive oil.

METHOD
STEP 1
Mix pepper and salt with flour in a plastic bag. Add beef and shake to coat. Shake off excess flour.
Heat olive oil in stove top pressure cooker or heavy saucepan. Brown meat in batches. Set aside.
STEP 2
Heat more olive oil and add vegetables. Cook until lightly browned. Add tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce. Cook whilst stirring for 2 minutes.
STEP 3
Add Guinness and bay leaves. Return meat to pot. Stir thoroughly. Add ground salt and cracked pepper to taste.
STEP 4
Place lid on pressure cooker and set it to high pressure. Reduce heat when pressure is reached and cook for 20 minutes.
If using a normal saucepan, bring to boil then simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender. You may need to add some beef or chicken stock if using a normal saucepan.
If using a slow cooker, cook on high for 4 hours or until meat is tender.
STEP 5.
Serve stew in bowls with buttered toasted ciabatta.

NOTES
The Guinness is not noticeable in the cooked stew and the alcohol evaporates during cooking.
The Guinness may be substituted by any other stout.
If leaving out the Guinness, you will need to replace it with 440 ml of stock.

5 Likes

Looks scrumptious. Can you tell about it’s calorie data?

3 Likes

Am I missing something? Guinness is a perfectly good stew straight out of the can! Step 1 - pour and consume Guinness - Step 2, repeat step 1 … I make Kilkenny stew the same way :wink:

But seriously … it does look good. One to try! I just need to be careful with the freshly cracked pepper - a few tablespoons can really warm things up!

4 Likes

Sorry. I do not have any info on it.

2 Likes