Bathrooms Leaking in House

The point is there may be ‘anything’. It could be an easy one or a forced reno. All the advice seemed to suggest discounting anything less than the ‘standards conforming’ methods and ‘builders way’ would be dicey. Some might be, yet they should not summarily be discounted without investigation.

I was in the same boat. I have a 11 year old townhouse and one of the two upper floor showers was leaking. When they ripped up the tiles they found they had been installed onto the wooden floor with no proper waterproofing and some of the beams were also rotting. So ended up with a bill of $2000+. The second shower is probably the same but as it is not used I have not fixed it… Went back and checked the building inspector’s report and all it said was tiles were already in place so was unable to inspect the installation.

4 Likes

Unfortunately poor workmanship and poor training and poor observance of the minimum recommendations will cause issues later. Authorities need to pick up their game and stand on the contractors. My own house was renovated 20 years ago and I double water proofed all wet areas. This is of little comfort to owners of houses with a leaking bathroom.

My house was built in the era when there were many dodgy builders. I was informed by a plumber last week that this is a common problem in the area where my house is built. Definitely no comfort for me or any other home owner

1 Like