Bathroom floor alternatives

Has anyone got an alternative to tiles for a bathroom floor I am planning a wet area shower and don’t like tiles

1 Like

I have never personally had one, but experienced one at a resort - http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/6413925/list/18-knockout-ideas-for-wooden-floor-showers

Hiya eytoj, my husband is a licensed Builder, and I will ask him when he gets home from work tonight. I am sure he will have some suggestions and options you could try.
Cheers Natalie :slight_smile:

There are some cool things you can do with polyester resin. I’m guessing you won’t be able to pour it on a surface that is not level. It can be painted but probably not practical.

1 Like

Yes resin would be great but as you say the floor needs to be level and not sloping into a drain

Thanks the choices seem very limited but I want to avoid a cold hard tile floor

Some friends of mine own a boutique hotel and they used resin tiles for their bathrooms with custom images printed on the under side. This might be an alternative for you.

1 Like

From https://www.angieslist.com/articles/choosing-flooring-rooms-get-wet.htm comes this:

"Vinyl flooring

If you’re looking for an easy-care and affordable option, consider vinyl. Sheet vinyl has the benefit of few, if any, seams that can let moisture through.

But vinyl has its high-end side, which can make it a practical alternative to hardwood or stone in high-traffic rooms. Vinyl planks and what’s called “luxury vinyl tile” can be made to mimic the look of wood or stone.

High-quality vinyl brands can feature mold and mildew inhibitors and waterproof guarantees rather than water-resistant claims."

There is also terrazzo flooring. Will last decades if looked after…and can look stylish with right patterns.

Here are example images.

Hiya eytoi, I spoke with my husband and he said terrazzo flooring is suitable, and can be purchased in various patterns and styles, but can be rather expensive.

His recommendation for a tighter budget was vinyl, as it can be purchased in one specially designed for bathrooms with a non-slip component for the wet areas. This would mean that you would be less likely to slip on the floor if it got wet, and would be a much safer option than ordinary vinyl.

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Cheers Natalie

1 Like

I also didn’t want tiles when i renovated our bathrooms recently. I *thought * I didn’t want vinyl either until I tried the most recent releases. I now have a softer, warmer floor that’s easy to clean , great in the kitchen too where I’m often standing for long periods.

We have a poly urea poured floor throughout the house and it is wonderful in the bathroom. Easy to clean and looks good. And NO grout to clean. The reason we chose this floor. No issues with the slope of the floor, as it is poured.

My nan has pebblecrete in her wet areas. Also, under floor water heating might be a solution if you don’t like cold floors.

Not a bad idea I wasn’t thinking of floor heating but it is a possibility pebblecrete I’ll check up on, thanks …jo

If your floor in now concrete have you considered just polishing the concrete? It can give a surprisingly good effect. The polishers can also cut antislip grooves into the too. I have seen a pathway effect and also just isolated areas in front of the basins and shower and bath. If you consider this method just remember there will be considerable dust generated and you need to talk to the polisher to see what they use to control the dust.

1 Like

This is probably not suitable for what you were looking for, but I thought these were interesting: http://lumes.net/products

I’ve had a Pirelli rubber tile floor down in one of the bathrooms of my house for 17 years and it still looks like new. I used Pirelli because it’s a very heavy duty commercial floor finish but it’s not cheap. As long as the floor is prepared correctly there shouldn’t be any issues with it. It’s nice, not cold, to walk on when you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

1 Like

Does this include the shower cubicle ?

No. The shower cubicle in this case was an off the shelf acrylic base.

Thanks for the info …I am in process of renovating my bathroom :thinking: