Bathroom Electric heating options

It does result in water droplets in the air absorbing some heat and, depending on the IR frequency, some radiant heat may also be absorbed by water vapour. I wouldn’t worry too much as you are only going to be using it for a few minutes at a time and there is nothing you can do about water droplets or vapour in a bathroom - aside from having a strong exhaust fan over the shower, would pump all the warm air out too.

1 Like

Wanting to heat a bathroom quickly for short periods at a time but not to expensive to run like the small cheap fan heaters. Any suggestions welcomed!!

Welcome @Linda.Sherwood to the community.

I am sure this question has been covered before. Perhaps a moderator can point this to an existing topic?

In my case I have a ceiling combo heat lamp and fan setup which does a good job for that bit of warmth.

The aim is not to warm up the air, just you when stepping out of the shower. Instantaneous warming only needed for a few minutes.

A B&B we stay at has one of these in a fairly large bathroom.

It looks like a split but is a heating only appliance. Anything that generates heat is going to cost roughly the same amount to operate per kw of heating. Differences will be in the comfort levels they provide and the ‘on’ time, save for the infrared types that heat ‘targets’ not ‘rooms’.

I am not sure if there are differeent versions but the one I mention has controllable oscillating louvers, a timer, fan only, and 2 power levels (1000 and 2000 watts).

1 Like

Thank you so much, I’ll investigate both options :smiling_face:

3 Likes

I thought I’d give a quick update about my bathroom heating solution. I did indeed install a Hershel 600W far infrared panel on my ceiling. Panel + thermostat/controller came to just under $800. This is mounted on a false ceiling that is lower than I’d like (a compromise). Panel is mounted at about 220cm so I can easily touch it (I’m 182cm tall).
Now, does it heat effectively? Yep… all the promises in the Hershel advertising are correct.
Is it hot to the touch? Nope… warm yes. 90°C? Not even close. Next winter I’ll measure the temp but I’m estimating no more than 50° with the thermostat set to heat at 26°C.

In short, too expensive, but it provides better heating than standard infrared and saves space by being ceiling mounted. This was important to me in a fairly small bathroom.

3 Likes

It’s always helpful when a successful outcome is shared. In this instance for a bathroom without the ceiling height or space for a conventional 3 in1 and vent fan solution.

P.S.
Choice has a guide and links to reviews/testing of electric heaters. https://www.choice.com.au/home-and-living/heating/electric-heaters/buying-guides/electric-heaters
The guide includes feedback from Consumer NZ on their testing and assessment of radiant IR heater panels. Bathroom Electric heating options - #13 by MattSteen

2 Likes

I know I am coming into this conversation a bit late, however I would like to make the point that bathrooms need a high air changeover to remove the steam from the room. So any ‘space’ heating would be fighting a losing battle as any heating would be exhausted from the room. I live in Canberra where it gets extremely cold in winter, so having effective bathroom heating is essential. I have fitted two twin 3-in-1 bathroom heaters in my ensuite (which is very small) the deliver good heating plus good exhaust. The original single 3-in-1 did not in any way clear the steam, nor did it give good heating. Note that in Canberra, the window is left closed in winter as the outside air is freezing, so all the air comes from inside the house!
Also, I would like to make the point that referring 3-in-1 bathroom heaters as “IXL Tastic” is using a trade name. There are dozens of brands, many much better than “IXL Tastic”.
As for the bathroom heaters with halogen lamps, they are very good and very effective in large areas, but very expensive. The main thing is that heater lamps are directional only heating where the light is aimed.

1 Like

Are they better than a resistive radiant heater of the same power rating? Why would that be? If not why not buy the cheaper product?

I think you are referring the strip heaters, which are, as you say not expensive. The big advantage of these heaters is that they are easy to install, just screw it to a wall and plug it into a power point. However, they must be fitted at a suitable height, too low and there is a burn risk and too high reduces its effectiveness. The power point must also be in a suitable location to avoid a shock hazard. Also, when the heater element goes, it is necessary to replace the entire fitting.
What I am referring to in my comment is the in ceiling fitting with the same heating element as the strip heater. They heat the same way, but it is all contained in a fitting in the ceiling which has a light and fan as well as the heater.
So, yes the ‘on the wall’ radiant strip heater is a cheaper option, but they are so out of date with modern bathroom decor. Plus they do have a risk factor from the hot element and you do need a handy power point.

As a post script: When I built my original house in the 1970’s I did install a radiant strip heater as it did a great job heating the bathroom (not in Canberra). I also installed a light and an exhaust fan. In the late 1990’s when we refurbished the bathroom I replaced the strip heater, light and exhaust fan with a single 3-in-1 fitting. (I am a licensed electrician, so I did all the wiring myself)