CHOICE membership

Backup software review

A pile of crap code by any other name or marketing spin is still a pile of crap code :slight_smile:

I fondly (not really) remember the introduction of Windows that was but a fancy interface to dos with a zillion bugs thrown in for free.

“Microsoft is just great fodder for bad as well as good jokes…”
TOO true! As my favourite email tagline says:

“Mac OS is graphic proof that it is easier to make Unix pretty, than it is to make Windows secure and stable.”

Sadly, pointing out Microsoft’s failures and flaws is like shooting fish in a barrel. TOO easy!

“I fondly (not really) remember the introduction of Windows that was but a fancy interface to MS-DOS with a zillion bugs thrown in for free.”
Then we had Windows 2000 with 65,000 (odd) reported bugs. Funnily enough, MS has never reported that number for any subsequent release of Windows!

Because as more and more users realise the basic flaws and privacy invasions of Windows 10, fewer people will use it!
Consider the (major) alternatives:

1. Linux. Free and secure and MUCH less hungry on resources!
  2. Mac OS. Initially more expensive, due to superior hardware, and SO much easier to use!
  3. pen and paper; definitely the least cost and most reliable method available.

Assuming they realise these things and assuming they matter and assuming the ubiquity of Windows doesn’t squash change and assuming that the devil you know know is not better than the devil you don’t then you may be right. In the marketplace inertia matters more than raw technical merit.

The cost of Windows bundled with a new machine is small. From a business point of view the cost of hardware is fairly small compared to the whole package of hardware, OS, apps, training, user efficiency etc. Few business uses are performance limited and, other than games, almost no home uses are. Resource usage and superior hardware are marginal issues to most users (except gamers).

Usability is an issue for both home and business but it mainly comes from apps not the OS. The great bulk of people neither want nor need to get under the hood. Which OS (in the desktop context where we are now) supports the biggest pool of apps fighting for attention and user dollar?

I assume 3. is a joke.

“In the marketplace inertia matters more than raw technical merit.”
Sadly that seems to be the case. That is why most insurers offer a much better rate to NEW customers rather than those who merely click the RENEW button.
“The cost of Windows bundled with a new machine is small.”
Even when this is the case, why should customers be forced to pay a premium for defective goods when a more capable, more solid, and more secure alternative is available for FREE?
“Which OS (…) supports the biggest pool of apps fighting for attention and user dollar?”
A misleading question. When the VAST majority of home users need email, text editing, and maybe spreadsheet capability, please explain what Linux does NOT provide?
Point #3 was only HALF joking. Many people can get by just fine with this very economical option!