Automotive and Traffic Related Lighting Too Bright

I find these lights too bright. Years ago I had trouble with oncoming headlights. It was discovered I was shortsighted. Following prescription glasses the problem ceased. An optometrist may have a clue or a means of control.

2 Likes

I had the same problem years ago and had stopped driving at night. I mentioned it to my optometrist when getting new glasses and she told me I had cataracts beginning and suggested an anti-glare lens coating.The cataracts haven’t grown since then and I can comfortably drive at night even though some headlights are still a bit too bright, especially on some four wheel drive vehicles.

1 Like

I use yellow tinted lenses when driving at night or in glaring sunshine. The new LED lights in cars make it impossible to see the road. This must be particularly dangerous for the thousands of drivers who have had cataract operations.

1 Like

The most noticeable underlying factor with modern light fittings causing glare is the light is emitted from intense point sources rather than the larger diffuse lenses of old. This applies to LED’s and HID lamps. Poor alignment and illegal eBay HID retrofits don’t help. I am very much affected by bright lights contrasting with darkness.

I made a complaint to Main Roads about a very large and very bright advertising sign on the side of a main road which was supposed to be dimmed at night and was for the first week after installation. Driving past one rainy night I was blinded by the reflected glare from the the wet road as well as the sign itself. Main Roads replied saying they had no way of testing the light output therefore could do nothing about it :roll_eyes:. I also agree that many LED traffic lights are too bright at night and should be dimmed.

2 Likes

I suspect the real issue isn’t with vehicles that are ‘factory fitted’ with LED, HID or newer technology headlights, but those that are retrofitted to older cars where the headlight reflectors are not designed for the bulb.

The LED tail lights are more reliable than traditional bulbs and given the number of vehicles with faulty tail lights getting around (no mandatory roadworthies in QLD either) or traffic light phases that used to be out on a regular basis, they are a good idea. Even if one or two LEDs fail, it’s unlikely that the whole light fails so some indication can be given.

1 Like

I disagree. Some of the worst offenders seem to be recent model Audi’s for example, but I do agree the retrofitted cars are often serious offenders.

Some of them still light up like Christmas trees and a few designers always seem to think brighter is always better. From my perspective a good thing has gotten out of control to the point where the lighting can be a distraction or in the worst cases bordering on if not dangerous because of the dazzle factor.

Reaction to lights vary broadly according to ones age+eyesight and glare recovery ability. Seniors with even still-inconsequential cataracts forming seem to be impacted by glare more than 20-somethings as an example.

Hence, the various opinions are all well founded in each particular case, but are subject to personal physiology.

2 Likes

So glad you raised this. I find them really difficult. They are certainly a hazard for my night driving. So what’s next? If by some happy chance the relevant body decided to change the rules around these lights, there are a lot of them on the road
 and more coming every day.

1 Like

I agree, some large vehicle have lights so bright I have “instant migraine” type experience. Have to screw up my eyes until out of range. Are light this bright necessary? What is the process to have vehicle light intensity reviewed? It is a hazard.

1 Like

I agree that low beam headlight brightness is an issue with some vehicles. I drive a 2013 Prius iTech and at night frequently have other drivers putting their high beam fully on at me, as though accusing me of driving on high beam which I am not. Last service I asked them to check the alignment and brightness and Toyota claimed it was all as it should be, despite my concerns. I have also noticed this problem in some other on-coming vehciles. In the meantime, I wish other drivers on the road would flash their high beams to express their concern, rather than blast an oncoming vehicle leaving them fully on, causing distress and raising the risk of an accident.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience @lcowans, and nice work taking the initiative to get your lights checked. I’m sure that in some of these cases, people with bright lights are unwittingly blinding others and not realising, and also copping some road rage back which is not pleasant.

1 Like

In NSW at least, it is illegal to flash your headlamps, except in very specific emergency situations. I know personally of at least one driver stopped and fined by NSW police for flashing their headlamps (to signal that they were about to overtake another vehicle). I haven’t checked the rules for other states and territories.
The relevant legislation is Road Rules 2014, Rule 218-1(d).

3 Likes

I thought that was an international night time courtesy that improved safety. Apparently not :frowning:

The Vic Road rules explicitly allows it on page 279. Nothing like consistency, but as someone posted (I forget who) it is hard to get that when you have reps from 6 states and 2 territories needing to agree, and each already has it perfect.

(2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver may briefly switch the headlights from low-beam to high-beam immediately before the driver begins to overtake the vehicle.

2 Likes

Indeed I assumed if was also fine for trucks upon finishing passing, as you often see the passed truck briefly flash the truck doing the overtaking to let them know they are far enough past to pull back in.

3 Likes

Hmm. NSW Road Rules 2014 Rule 218 reflects Victoria.

(2) However, if the driver is overtaking a vehicle, the driver may briefly switch the headlights from low-beam to high-beam immediately before the driver begins to overtake the vehicle.

but 218-1(d) seems to contradict it!

(d) flash any headlight or additional headlight permitted to be fitted to the vehicle by rule 73 (6) of the Light Vehicle Standards Rules (or, in the case of a heavy vehicle, a corresponding heavy vehicle standard) unless

With full recognition of our governments mentalities, I detect a difference between ‘briefly switch’ and ‘flash’.:confounded:

1 Like

I wonder if having an additional headlight that is not permitted to be fitted to the vehicle is a lesser fine - because the law doesn’t appear to cover them when it comes to flashing (the additional non-approved headlight) 

I had an experience a while ago when I came across an accident on a major road where the police were in attendance, they had so many bright lights flashing that I was totally blinded and this blindness continued for some time when I then moved back into the darkness beyond the accident.

1 Like

Interesting side issue about the problem of different road rules in various States on flashing high beam lights, but I think this may have missed my main point. At the moment I am getting on-coming vehicles putting and keeping their lights on high beam as they come towards me, which is almost blinding. They are not flashing. I am sure it is illegal to raise lights to high beam and keep them raised to oncoming traffic. My suggestion of flashing high beam lights was a preferred option to the current situation. I do understand that Choice can’t endorse something illegal but I wonder what other options there are to a situation such as mine, where I seem to have bright low beam headlights that the manufacturer tells me are fine yet other night drivers constantly react to by impacting me with their full on highbeams?

Does your car have a levelling control for your head lamps ? My car has an adjustment dial and recommended settings for 1-5 passengers and also a recommendation for towing a trailer . The control operates 2 servo motors that lower or raise the headlamps . Some vehicles have an automatic self levelling control but mine is manual . /

On one occasion recently I was getting high beamed on a particularly dark road by oncoming traffic so I adjusted the headlamps down a setting . Problem solved . Your Prius may have this feature if not maybe fit lower powered headlamp inserts or have a mechanic adjust them down . They should have an adjustment on them .

3 Likes

I agree, so of these new headlights are way too bright. Another safety issue are the blinkers on some cars that wrap around the headlight and work like a mexican wave. It is very easy to miss if such a blinker is on if only 1 or 2 of the little lights are on when you glance at the traffic. Things move too fast on the roads to be waiting to see these blinkers reach their full illumination. It amazes me that so many of these foolish ideas get approved for use on our roads.