Auto Safety Features: Good, Bad, and Indifferent

The 2022 Hyundai i30 Elite has Lane Keep Assist (LKA) as a safety feature. Does anyone in this forum think that, like me, that this could in fact lead to accidents, rather than avert them?

I understand that LKA is a common feature in many car makes and models now. Unfortunately, I do not feel that the LKA in my Hyundai i30 Elite is as good as it could be, and further, it cannot be completely disabled or altered, according to Hyundai.

In describing the LKA, Hyundai states that if a car strays from the road lane markings, the system will apply a “slight counter-steering torque”. In other words, the sensors in the car which read the road lane markings will activate the LKA and in effect take over the wheel.

I have several complaints about this feature in the Hyundai i30 Elite 2022.

1. The LKA is not an opt IN feature, and it cannot be completely disabled according to Hyundai (as well as reading the manual and online articles, I specifically asked when I took the car in for the first month service).

Once I turn the ignition on, the system automatically drives with the Standard LKA enabled. I can push the button on the wheel to change the LKA setting to Active LKA which makes the car hyper vigilant in my opinion, or opt for the Lane Departure Warning System (LDW). I cannot disable it and choose to use LKA when I wish.

I’ve found that even if I opt for the Lane Warning System, the car reverts to LKA if the system mistakenly assumes the car is leaving the lane.

For example, if a road has sweeping curves, the LKA misreads the road lane markings which are following the curve and mistakes this for a driver error. The system then takes control of the wheel and tries to drive straight ahead rather than actually keep inside the lane.

Perhaps there is a way to shorten the distance of the car sensor detection so that it can quickly “see” that that the road curves, and doesn’t activate the LKA and try to take over the wheel. Does anyone know?

1. The strength of the correction is not “slight” as Hyundai states. In fact the wheel counter-torque is so strong that I have to apply a fair bit of strength to stop the car actually leaving the lane.

It does not make for a comfortable drive, especially on a long trip. I feel that I have to hold the wheel permanently in a death grip waiting for the moments the LKA unexpectedly yanks the wheel left or right.

Another driver I know described his experience with the LKA to me as being like the passenger trying to take over the wheel from him.

I am always concerned that if I’m driving on a curved road that the LKA may mistakenly think I am running off the road and yank the wheel from my grasp. I am also worried that the suddenness and strength of the counter-torque might cause me to overcorrect or push my car into the car in the next lane, a person or object.

Does anyone else feel that the strong counter-torque of a Lane Keep Assist in their car might in fact cause an accident?

5 Likes