Australia's Reputation for 'Clean' Food: Deserved or Not?

Cost is an incentive for commercial growers to make optimal, i.e. minimal, use of pesticides, to the extent that home growers tend to use much larger quantities of such agents. Commercial growers supplying supermarkets for reasons of economy also use industry best practice such as Integrated Pest Management (IPM), designed to minimise chemical use. There are mandatory withholding periods associated with harvesting, storage and sale of treated produce. Consumers also have the option of buying organic produce, which bans the use of some agents but allows others which may themselves be harmful in sufficient concentrations (e.g. copper). This is all stuff I was taught at Burnley College, Melbourne University, around the turn of the millennium, and I doubt much has changed since. Journalism has its place but mostly it’s about generating stories by people without knowledge of the specific fields they are writing about.

2 Likes

My mini dishwasher has a fruit and veg cycle. I should probably give it a whirl, I must use a lot more water under a running tap, doing it by hand.

What we do know now, surprise optional.

• The industry is self regulating.
  • The industry does not publicly share the data it’s collected.
  • The most recent independent assessment is based on data samples from 2013/14.

But Government is onto it,

The agriculture department said the final report of an independent review of the pesticides regulatory system had recommended the establishment of a national domestic produce monitoring program.

In the fullness of time?:wink:

At nominally 325 pages (released 28 May 21) also allow some extra time to read if interested,

The short version, my highlights, self explanatory. The report introduction goes on to talk abound it’s “bold reform recommendations”. Politically inspirational!

2 Likes

The topic bubbled up in the press today. It is not directly the ‘food products’ but the processes.

1 Like

From The Guardian today 14/7/2023. It should cause some reflection on how things are going compared to how they were supposedly going. Some might consider this a partisan attack and others a well needed check and house clean.

APVMA review includes ‘allegations of industry capture’: Murray Watt

The Clayton Utz review of the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority uncovered serious allegations of poor governance, poor workplace culture and poor leadership.

Agriculture minister Murray Watt adds:

Concerningly the review also includes allegations of industry capture of the APVMA. It appears to have played a key role in the APVMA not performing its full regulatory responsibilities.

Watt says the authority is left at risk of not meeting integrity standards.

He says the findings join a “long line of examples of incompetence” under the former government:

Unfortunately this saga is just another in what has become a long line of examples of incompetence and maladministration under the former Coalition government. This happened on their watch but I’m determined to clean up their mess.

By taking the firm action I have outlined today we will ensure the integrity of Australia’s outback chemical regulation and we will maintain competence in our world leading food and fibre industries.

and

2 Likes