Australian produced food product, goes imported, price stays the same

I pationatly buy Australian grown and produced food. Buy bacon made from Australian pork, and buy only Australian frozen vegetables and any other food product wherever possible.

Always used to buy Edgells Creamed Corn as was something like 98% Australian product. I always check labels constantly and look at ingredients for change and country of origin.
Edgells Creamed Corn $2.20, $5.24/1kg, 58% corn - now product of Thailand - fully imported canned.
Coles Creamed Corn $1.00, $2.50/1kg, 55% corn - product of Thailand
Woolworths Creamed Corn $1.00, $2.50/1kg, 45% corn - product of Thailand.

Looking at the tins of the Coles and Edgells would say they come out of the same factory. The Coles is as close as identical to the Edgells. Woolworths definitely lower quality and taste not so good.

Demonstrates you can not rely on just buying the same product all the time assuming it is still product of Australia. Now buying the Coles Creamed Corn at $1.00 for a $1.20 saving over the imported Edgells.

Don’t have Aldi locally so don’t know. I do buy toothpaste in bulk when I do go to our nearest city at Aldi as it is the only Australian made toothpaste.

6 Likes

I don’t know what the Aldi toothpaste brand is, but - I can assure you that there is definitely an Australian brand available in both of the major supermarkets!! I only discovered it in the past couple of years: prior to that, I had no idea it existed!

1 Like

And have just found this Product Review

1 Like

Both our Coles and Woolworths are small stores with limited range, and low socio economic. Have to stock up on some items they don’t keep locally I like when go to the nearest city.
Both don’t stock Grants toothpaste locally.
Aldi Toothpaste made in Australia is their own home brand.
See the Aldi Toothpaste rates well in the Canstar Blue tests.

1 Like

As far as I know the Aldi toothpaste is made either in Sydney or the Gold Coast at the Colgate-Palmolive plants there. It is made to a Aldi private brand recipe. Like many stock items at Aldi the products are made here to reduce transport costs from OS and helps limit OS stock shortages. Nestle produce most of the Aldi Ice cream branded products. Norco, Nestle and others produce a majority of milk products.

2 Likes

Colgage Toothpaste hasn’t been made in Australia for many years. Colgate Toothpaste predominantly comes from Thailand or Malaysia.

1 Like

Colgate do have the manufacturing here:

From the site Toothpaste Ingredients - What's Safe + Natural Alternatives! | Dental Aware Australia and By Andrew Adams. Created at November 03, 2021, Updated at November 03, 2021

"Though a few have manufacturing sites in Australia:

• Colgate is an American brand, but they have manufacturing sites at Villawood, NSW, and Labrador, QLD. Their head office is in Sydney, NSW.
  • Macleans is 100% Australian-made, at Ermington, Sydney, NSW, by the multinational company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
  • Sensodyne is also made by GSK, as is Polident"

From Colgate Avenue: the Colgate Company’s connection to Balmain - City Hub Sydney | Your Local Independent News

"In 1951, due to the significant presence of the factory, company executives persuaded local authorities to change the name of the street “Broadstairs” to Colgate Avenue, and regular donations to Balmain Hospital saw one of the ward’s take the name Colgate-Palmolive.

The factory closed its doors in the mid 1990’s and moved operations to a site in Sydney’s Southwest and its manufacturing presence remains active at the Villawood factory".

2 Likes

Colgate may have manufacturing plants in Australia. However if you check the country of manufacture of the Colgagate Toothpaste on supermarket shelves is all imported and has been for a fairly considerable period of time.
Macleans Toothpaste currently on Coles and Woolworths shelves is made in South Africa.

Edit: Sensodyne currently made in Thailand.
Polident currently made in Ireland.

2 Likes

Made in Thailand - if Colgate Total 12. At least for our latest purchase and per the Woolies pack shot. Lost in the fine print on the back of the box?

Why many consumer products are now most often made OS would make an interesting discussion.

1. Is it the saving of a few cents of production costs?
  2. Has modern containerised shipping reduced the transport costs to negligible?
  3. Is competition a fiction with several global corporations holding many (supposedly competing) brands dominant in the market space?
  4. Does the power of marketing and multi brand identities limit the opportunities for genuine new competition to offer more than a token alternative to consumers?

It’s about more than tooth paste 

3 Likes

It’s always useful to highlight the exceptions.
Sort of a food flavour to the product, especially if you grow your own.

There are challenges for a product produced locally on a lesser scale proportionate to local demand. The cost of protecting the brand and design against competition from copies in the international market place is significant. Similar from look alike imports.

With food products it’s not until you open the can that any real differences are apparent.

2 Likes

I was instructed to use grants toothpaste by a peridontist as had an autoimmune disease in my mouth.
A couple of years down the track I had a filling near the gum in a tooth. The dentist said this is because I was using a toothpaste that did not have cavity prevention. The latest visit to the peridontist, a different one as other one on family leave and he recommended that I use the normal Colgate if I can. Now I have read this will be looking for one made in Australia.

1 Like

Cedel toothpaste made in Australia check in woolies& Coles

1 Like

Of course, none of the food we eat in Australua is Australian. We brought our diet with us when we occupied this continent a couple of centuries ago. The most “local” we can currently find is “Australian grown”, bit not “Australian”.

i too look hard for Australian bacon and pork. apparently anything with a bone is Aussi as swine flu is in the bone and they cannot export it. I asked the Coles deli where their bacon comes from and she said Canada. I asked where ours goes to and she said China. I said why don’t Canada send to China and we keep our own. If you look hard in the fridge you will find Aussi bacon usually smoked or double smoked and I think Bertocci. Just lately they have had a bit in the deli too, as well as the 19% and other imports. Maybe if we refuse to buy and keep asking they will get the hint.

2 Likes

I think it is a question of fresh versus processed, not if it has a bone or not, we don’t allow fresh pork to be imported is my understanding. This is to prevent importing pig diseases with it, where smoked, salted, cooked etc cannot carry disease.

1 Like

Coles have always had 100% Australian bacon in the fridges. Woolworths have the same as well in a home brand

Australia imports massive amounts of fresh pork without bone. Thankfully Coles and Woolworths have both refused to sell imported fresh pork. All fresh pork in the fridges at Coles and Woolworths is Australian grown pork. When you shop at a butcher if the pork has no bone it could be imported. 95% of Australian small goods are made from fresh imported pork.

3 Likes

Pork and some home truths.

• Australia imports Pork because local production is less than demand.
  • Imported pork comes from the USA 53%, followed by Denmark 23% and the Netherlands 14%.
  • Australia exports a small amount of local pork production. Less than 10% of total production with Singapore, PNG, Phillipines and NZ the largest customers. China is a very small market.
  • Up to 50% of the pork and 80% of the processed pork products sold in Australia each year are imported.

These facts were sourced on line from the industry representative body Australian Pork Ltd.

And
‘https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ashx?id=658b6466-e33c-4cbd-bc6f-61248f5f8b92&subId=690237

As consumers the following makes for interesting reading. My highlighting.

5 Likes

According to the RSPCA, several industry bodies and the DPI NSW no fresh pork is permitted entry now. What reason do you have for saying that it is? The usual reason given behind this is the 2018 outbreak of African Swine Fever.

Do you have any evidence for that? Much of the ham and other processed pork that we eat is in fact imported but not fresh.

Similarly uncooked ready to eat pork products are banned according to the Dept of Agriculture.

2 Likes

‘now’ been the operative word when it comes to fresh pork. Only swine fever in 2018 stopped fresh pork imports.
We used to produce sufficient pork. When the Federal Government allowed imported pork it decimated the pork industry in Victoria and eastern South Australia.
I only buy pork from Coles as it is not ‘moisture infused’ like Woolworths is labelled as such, and you have no idea at butchers what you are getting. I also like Coles ‘sow stall free’ and their free range pork - had a free range pork roast for dinner last night.

1 Like

When was that? Since importing fresh pork was banned has the amount produced in Oz increased markedly? The point I am getting at is how can we be sure it is import policy and not something else that governs the economics of pig meat?

2 Likes