Australia Post

Here is the advice we recently received from my brother-in-law regarding getting refunds from Auspost for failing to deliver Express Post items on time.

Hi XXXXXX and XXXXXX

Set up simple MyPost account. https://auspost.com.au/

Make complaint that express post failed the standard and they can see it did - and no fuss refund (has been anyway for a few times) .

See screen snips.

Cheers, XXXXXX

I have set up the account but have not needed to claim a refund as yet.

2 Likes

Thanks.

I made the complaint through their complaints process and the response was as attached. No refund because either the official post office which sold me the bag isn’t in the Express Post Network, or the address it was sent to isn’t - or both. The wording is ambiguous, IMHO.

I continue to ask why AP is charging people for a service they have no intention to provide.

5 Likes

Because?

It is still a priority service.
And faster than a cheaper postage option.

Our local ‘out of overnight service area’ post office still has the yellow post packaging and a posting box. There is simply no guarantee according to the nice guy behind the counter it will get to the regional mail distribution centre before they pick up for the onward services. Same for mail coming to us making the local distribution run.

Sometimes it takes an extra day.
Sometimes it is as quick as the promise despite us being out of the zone.

1 Like

A straight line I cannot resist.

In the OP’s case if they bought an Express Post prepaid bag and presented it to the counter I can understand Auspost would normally accept it no questions asked, as they would any other post, but wouldn’t Auspost taking (or accepting?) money for an Express Service they by definition could not nor had any intention to deliver be much like the financial world’s fees for no service?

As a ‘priority service’ there are also less costly ‘less priority services’ that seem more appropriate to sell ‘outside the Express network’, are there not?

At the minimum shouldn’t the customer be advised accordingly at the counter for ‘next time’ even if not applicable to ‘this time’?

4 Likes

It would be polite. Our post office does exactly that, as did several of those at our previous wayward home locations. Experience has been that ‘express post’ is always reliable. For larger items it has been faster and almost as cheap as the premium for oversized standard postage of any bulkier items.

The delivery times for high volume routes can be determined from the fine print. For less common point to points ask the post office or use AP online to determine if there is a guarantee.

If the debate is about cost, the posted express item still travels the express system. Perhaps the relative value is not there. In which instance the option is to not use the service. I don’t think AP hide the fact there is no assurance of timeliness for certain point to point services. Buyer beware.

How much faster, ‘your mileage may vary’!

2 Likes

A parcel sent to me from cross Melbourne on 19 Dec remains in transit, Auspost knows not where. A replacement posted on 6 January is still in transit although simplistically it is a 2-hour drive in traffic if one could do a point-to-point. Maybe it will arrive on Monday, or maybe Godot will come. I shall see. Neither was sent Express or priority anything, so maybe there is a lesson to be learnt?

2 Likes

Perhaps.

Hope it turns up.

It always seems to be the little things that we have the occasional delivery problems with. We’ve had items from small parts kits (50gms) through to 100kg fire pump sets delivered across the state boarders. Some suppliers seem to know what always works.

We use Express Post mainly for documents.

1 Like

Auspost is atop its game.

The replacement was sent Express. Sender and receiver are both in-network in metro Melbourne. 6 business days and counting. Auspost tracking has its peak informative message of ‘its on the way’ after taking 4 days for the first and only scan registered to show it got all the way to Melbourne! No other tracking.

Edit: Auspost’s ‘estimated time to deliver’. It does seem like a scam.

In contrast a tracked package from the US to me was brilliant, at least until Auspost got its hands on it.

FWIW the last 3 are leaving ORD, leaving LAX, and leaving MEL (eg Auspost has it). Although the tracking ceased at MEL I admit the item arrived timely thereafter, no tracking or scanning needed since ‘we’ are so good and reliable?

Not so long ago Auspost appeared to have raised its game with actual tracking seeming to be done. Probably hit their P/L to do it right, and customer satisfaction/service/‘doing it right rather than cheap’ is usually the first to go in our world.

3 Likes

I’ve had multiple problems with this organisation in recent months

• missing items where they just advise me to contact the seller, sorry we can’t find it
  • stuffups with online accounts
  • excuses for delivery mismanagement that have no basis in their policies or legislation
  • hiding tracking information such as sender and originating post office (first scan was destination, before it was lost of course)
  • obscuring case notes, mixing email updates with online updates for the same case number with some updates not viewable or registered in the online version.

words fail me 
 it’s the ‘service’ (servicing more like it) that you get when you have no choice and when the organisation can hide behind protective legislation, impotent ombudsman and sheer obfuscating size.

4 Likes

I lodged a complaint today. Educational. Auspost apparently does not scan Express Post excepting for receipt to assure it gets delivered ASAP so by design if they lose an item they do not have a clue where it is or has been unless someone finds it in an ‘empty’ bag or lost along the walls.

With apologies to Eric Idle, Say no more, know what I mean? Cluelessly ill-designed ‘product’!

4 Likes

Cluelessly ill-designed postal system from start to finish, I’d suggest :wink:

It seems a little like a totalitarian state - you know there are good people in there somewhere, but it is impossible to tell where and the result is the same in the end 

5 Likes

Per Aust Post Express Post. Interesting!

3 Tracking number on barcode is only available if you’ve used a satchel or have lodged your parcel in-store and have been provided with a receipt. Track advice will only be shown when a scan has occurred. Find out more about our tracking service.

That doesn’t really explain the commitment. Or does it? :wink:

P.S.
Despite our relative positive experiences with Express Post in the past, I was well informed through a recent dealing with a Solicitor. They have given up on the service. They now pay for a dedicated legal document delivery service!

2 Likes

My sister in Melbourne sent me an item in the smallest size Express Post paper envelope on Monday last week.

Some 7 business days later, I have still not received it.

Fortunately the contents had no monetary value.

Back in the days of the Howard Government, there was talk of floating Australia Post for an expected $200 million return.

I seriously doubt that the Government could now find any party to take it even if they were offered $200 million to do so.

2 Likes

You may be on to what this government intends to do.

One often needs a program to follow the plot. eg a gift at fire sale value to an important donor? Isn’t that how capitalism and the sanctity of private enterprise sometimes works these days?

2 Likes

Item still not received.

Perhaps Australia Post has adopted this US mail scheme?

Is Australia Post abandoning letters?

Greater metro areas reduced to letter deliveries every second day. Today during phone conversation AP confirmed to me that ‘every second day’ means:

• every second business day (Monday to Friday count as business days despite AP now working 7 days a week)
  • a fortnight cycle - Tuesday and Thursday letter deliveries in one week and Monday & Wedneday & Friday letter deliveries in the other week
    Do areas outside metro areas get more or less frequent letter delivery services?
    Note that I am talking about letter deliveries, and not parcel deliveries.
    Today Australia Post told me the possible delivery times for Qld-to-Qld items (not going via Victoria):
  • Express Post parcel - three (3) days
  • normal parcel - seven (7) days
  • letter - longer than for a normal parcel

One version of logic would say that if there are fewer letters in the system then AP delivery times for letters should stay the same or improve. ?!..

3 Likes

Logic and Australia Post are mutually exclusive.

1 Like

Our postie in regional Tassie still rides up and down the pavement every business day (see him about 8.30am every morning while on a walk). Nice fellow and always says hello when passing.

Our parcels service (I believe it is a husband and wife team) also deliver everyday. Often seen them driving the streets around town.

The bottleneck for post in Tassie isn’t the frequency of local delivery, but getting the letters/parcels in a timely manner from the mainland.

3 Likes

You, sir, are a truly lucky man :slight_smile: I hope your experience stays like this for as long as possible !! The last service I remember like this was our milkman, who would score me a small chocolate if I could catch the van on my trike. That was 50 years ago and I still remember it with fondness - the real, human side to customer relations, where people actually cared. Thanks for reminding us that it does still exist !

4 Likes

Five letter delivery runs per fortnight

I’m old enough to remember when Brisbane had twenty-two (22) letter delivery runs per fortnight. Morning run and afternoon run each business day (M-F) and one on Saturday.

AP says “You now have the choice of 3 delivery speeds when sending a letter within Australia.” https://auspost.com.au/general/changes-to-your-letters-service

1. Express Post letter - via yellow posting box or Post Office (cost from $5.85) Next business day guaranteed*
  2. Priority letter - via red posting box or Post Office. Put Priority Label (cost $0.50) on envelope along with $1.00 stamp. 1-4 business days, depending on destination
  3. Regular letter -via red posting box or Post Office. Put $1.00 tamp on envelope. Up to 2 business days longer than Priority (ie up to 6 business days).

Yet Australia Post when I rang them on 2020-09-04 told me that letters in a Qld-toQld situation (actually Brisbane-to-Brisbane) delivery time is longer than seven (7) business days, and once it gets to the distribution centre that serves the destination address it will also have to wait until the next of the “five deliveries in a fortnight”.

Given that letters [ordinary sort] and parcels [ordinary sort] go into the same AP bags (from post offices and red posting boxes) what is Australia Post doing to ‘ensure’ that letter take longer than parcels?
This is a serious question, as AP has had automatic sorting systems that read printed and typed addresses for many years.

4 Likes