Aussie Broadband and the NBN Experience

Aussie Broadband charges for VOIP by the call; otherwise I am happy with them.

2 Likes

ā€¦or you could pay them $10 pm more for unlimited local and national calls, or $20 pm including mobile calls. When features and services are considered ABB is one of the higher cost RSPs but everyone neither needs nor wants VOIP (except maybe for incoming calls) or fetch TV boxes or ā€¦

3 Likes

The May ACCC report is a (downside) surprise re ABB :frowning:

2 Likes

So the police is looking into it?

Suggest you spend a few minutes with your fav search engine to find the exceptions, such as ā€˜policeā€™ that is by definition a plural. You will find many hits about it, most that are scholarly not throwaways.

1 Like

when using a generalised term, such as ā€˜policeā€™ or ā€˜politiciansā€™, these are normally taken to be plural. If you were to refer to a specific entity, you might say ā€œthe NSW Police Department is looking into itā€. Note the use of the proper noun, and hence capitalisation.

This can lead to confusion, as in the following example where a proper noun has become a common noun:

• ā€œWe heard yesterday that Google has decided to exit the search engine businessā€
  • ā€œWhy donā€™t you just google it?ā€

The same has happened with numerous terms over the centuries, and in most cases we donā€™t even remember the originator. Take, for example, aspirin. Originally a trademark, it is now used to refer to the active ingredient.

2 Likes

I did this last night. It took about three minutes to enter the account details and settings, get the VOIP up, and confirm with a couple of calls.

In contrast, it took me 15 minutes on the phone with iinet to cancel our ADSL account. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been hearing from other ABB users that its no longer as good as it was. Thereā€™s some movement away from it. I was planning to switch from Exetel some years ago and Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t now. Things often change when a company goes public, which I believe they did some time ago.

Best speed Iā€™ve had from my FTTP is 95/19 which isnt too bad. But, that was on the Mac Mini which is connected to the router. Wifi isnt crash hot. I jut measured it at half the speed I should be getting. But at this time of the morning shrug.

Compared to iiNet when it comes to customer service ABB is a breath of fresh air.
Itā€™s iiNet offer less for a higher cost. (Now over the top of Westnet which we moved to in 2010 from Telstra the only option previously.)

During the evening peak period and busy hour it likely makes zero difference which RSP one has chosen. Fixed Wireless Service Congestion is arbitrated by the NBN Co and not the RSPā€™s as I understand it.

Hi @SueW and @mark_m,

I moved your comments on ABB to this now dated topic because comments on the evolutionary experience with ABB seems germane. Iā€™ll add my own comment -

I am one who found them brilliant when I signed up in the advent of NBN availability but over the ensuing years I (anecdotally) feel they are not as good. My last few exchanges with ABB support were not nearly as satisfying as they once were. It could be a result of past success, or growth, or the (technical and personal) skills of newer hires. I am still with ABB but feel their premium pricing (not that there is much variance across the lot of then) seems unwarranted these days.

They have had at least one failure that took their services and their internal infrastructure down for hours. The fault graphs in the regular report show they have their fair share of ā€˜burpsā€™ and then some, often short but interruptions none-the-less.

Reality is all that all any RSP support can do is help a new customer configure their kit or work through restarting it all, or lodge a fault to the wonderful world of NBNCo and present a smiling face to the person ringing in, often using their fully charged mobile.

That some RSPs seem to have ā€˜technical supportā€™ that is no more capable than referencing and parroting scripts? That could be ā€˜the underlying differenceā€™ between bad vs better. ABB does not have that baggage and their support, IME, has more technical competency than most.

1 Like

This seems to be the case with Exetel, at least at the base level. I had an issue which went on for over a week and although I could use the service, I was unable to access most websites (including this one). It made no sense to me because 2 or 3 other sites were easily accessible. Arguing with anyone about it seemed pointless. It seemed to me it was a DNS issue so I requested escalation, and it took about 2 hours before it was all fixed. They also reset ymy port (which was likely the real fix) and gave me a static IP. In any case I have had no more problems. The thing I like about exetel is the Whirlpool service rep who is an incredibly patient man and who gets things done. I think Phil Britt still hangs out there too, for ABB.

1 Like

I can only make a comparison with Westnet as it is today in itā€™s iiNet cloak. A faint shadow of itā€™s former service. The original Westnet worked wonders and never failed to satisfy.

Is the cost a concern. Iā€™d rather pay a little more for a reliable and consistent outcome. ABB offers a better price point for the service speed. Agree all parties are now somewhat reduced to the LCD - NBN Co.

For our fallback copper line that has been assured for those in the NBN FW and Satellite service footprints. Itā€™s in the hands of Telstra. A different problem and a different topic.

Another comment on Exetelā€¦ it has improved out of sight since there were management changes a while back. The improvements have been incremental but overall, Iā€™m now to the point where I no longer bother looking for an alternative.

@mark_m surely you are unsurprised at iinet? Internode is in the same boat. iinet bought internode, the TPG bought iinet. And people are still whining about TPG.