August 2021 Food Champions Challenge

I’m a sucker for kombucha or juice in the morning then fizzy water throughout the day and at dinner. The sodastream gets a serious workout. Post dinner sleepy tea

4 Likes

depends and varies. my partner and I have been on the waggon for > 2 months.

but I’ve gone back to a light beer or two with dinner, and as the family’s birthdays are coming along there’ll be some wines.

But I haven’t FELT the stuff since we began to cut down.

It IS good to know that we aren’t addicted, but I’m persuaded now that a littlr bit does you good!!!

4 Likes

Hope the horse behaved itself :rofl:

But seriously, some of zero (or near zero) alcohol beers are enjoyable if one is trying to avoid alcohol. The only downside is most cost similar to their alcoholic versions.

2 Likes

Plunger coffee, black with no sugar throughout the day. I didn’t drink tea or coffee until I was in my late teens. Initially I drank white coffee with two teaspoons of sugar to disguise the taste. Then again it was probably one of those early horrible instant coffees like International Roast.

6 Likes

The cost is similar because it takes the same amount of work and ingredients to make them.

2 Likes

But there is no excise so it should be considerably cheaper.

3 Likes

That would be the seller and perhaps govt not wanting to lose sales to non-alcohol.

2 Likes

It is possibly because they are niche products and those who want to consume them, are willing to pay for the privillege.

There are also non-alcohol spirits as well which command a high price…when in effect they could be seen a cordials for a niche market.

I have consumed the zero alcohol beers…I have a good mate that swears by them and has converted the Friday afternoon office drinks at his office over to them (which makes sense for a workplace that looks after it’s employees and wants them to get home). They have a place, but one needs to recognise the they are expensive for what they are.

BTW, beer is very cheap to make commercially. It is the marketing, taxes, margins and profit which adds to the final price. This infographic is useful for craft beer (note this is for the US - with the Federal tax in Australia significantly more than the US).

2 Likes
4 Likes

That article just made my day! Everything in moderation and you just can’t lose!!!

4 Likes

I cannot start the day without my coffee, especially during lockdown! I buy the fresh beans each month from Bay Beans, delivered free to my door. I have a Breville coffee machine and separate grinder. I grind the coffee, brew in the machine, add the frothed milk and enjoy my one cup for the day.

With lunch I have cold water, a cup of milk tea and a biscuit for afternoon tea, and a diet soda with dinner. A glass of red wine is a Friday night dinner treat!

3 Likes

I only have a favourite drink to have with food at Breakfast, which is an Extra Hot, Large, Lactose Free Milk Latte with Honey and Serena Tuna in Chilli Oil straight from the can!

Oh! So good!

2 Likes

I would not be courageous enough to drink my coffee from a tuna can as my can opener isn’t very good and leaves sharp edges and I would be worried about the chilli oil getting in the cuts.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I wonder if there is a nice consolidated list like the one you linked about global beverage consumption but from a more substantial source. Maxine of Haley’s Daily Blog doesn’t give any references and the entries look odd to me. In volume consumed are vodka and energy drinks both more popular than milk or soup? Maybe soup doesn’t count as a beverage but there are many cultures where most meals include soup. Some would not call water a beverage.

1 Like

Tea with breakfast. Usually juice or milk at night…

3 Likes

It’s difficult to imagine a Japanese meal without Miso. It’s served in a broad cup or small bowl and sipped/consumed as one would a cup.

The Aussie equivalent, Continental - ‘cup-a-soup’.
It’s really not soup, is it!
But does that make it a beverage?
Empty sachet, add to hot water and stir vigorously.
Instant miso follows the same basic method, as does instant coffee or ……

I’d rate miso and matcha as key to enjoying an everyday Japanese meal.

2 Likes

Not for me.

I love my bedtime cup of miso soup.

3 Likes

I can’t move in the morning without two cups of strong brewed black, unsweetened, coffee with a simple toast and vegemite breakfast.
With lunch I have diluted fresh juice - freshly squeezed orange by preference.
With dinner, I’ll usually have a glass of dry white wine.
And, before bed, a brewed green tea.

2 Likes

I don’t have any drink with meals, but binge on tea, water and occasional coffee before, after and in between. When I was a kid I was in charge of making the tea pot for my parents who had a cup or two of tea with their meals and woke them up with a cup of tea.

Electric kettles, tea bags and microwaves make it so easy to make a mug of tea any time you like, that I just do it when the mood takes me.

5 Likes