Arsenic in linseed

I read that in America they found traces of arsenic in Linseeds. I don’t know the outcome. In the Linseed mixture I buy but it states on the package 66% Australian product. This is really not good enough and we still don’t know if our Linseed is safe? Has anyone tested it?

3 Likes

Would you post a link to where you read that? I could not find any references to arsenic, but there are many to low level cyanide; flaxseed is commonly called linseed.

This journal article might be informative.

Note the NCBI is a library of clinical, scholarly and academic medical papers and no any governmental endorsement.

From Harvard University

3 Likes

I couldn’t find any scholarly work about arsenic in Linseeds.

Arsenic in trace amounts is found in some nuts, grains, and other foods. Our bodies are able to eliminate these trace amounts.

So unless you can find a scientific study (not a ‘health promtion’ site/page) showing that there is an unhealthy amount of arsenic in Linseeds, I would say it is safe.

4 Likes

I think you have confused arsenic with cyanide. Linseed (flaxseed) contains small amounts of amygdalin which is also found in stone fruits, pome fruits, lima beans and cassava and some almonds. Amygdalin can be metabolised to cyanide which is toxic. As with all poisons the dose is important. I cannot find any reference that says the amount if cyanide you might ingest from flaxseed is likely to be a problem nor any that details people coming to harm from it.$$ As always trying to show something exists is much easier to do than to show that it doesn’t but I would not be worried.

I we stayed away from every food that at some time in some situation contained any amount of any toxin we would all be very thin or starving to death.

$$There are studies such as if you feed enough to rats they can get damaged kidneys but that is not evidence of harm to humans in normal amounts of consumption.

4 Likes

Arsenic is present in most foods in low concentrations as it occurs naturally in soils crops/plants are grown on an in some water sources…

When plants grow (or animals injest soil when grazing or when eatihg plants), they naturally uptake small quantities of arsenic. Even Australian grown linseed willl have traces of arsenic.

Is it something to be worried about, generally no unless the concentration is elevated and poses a significant health risk. Elevated arsenic can occur due to high arsenic levels in soil (natural or fhrough land confamination) or though past agricultural practices which used arsenic.

3 Likes