Are you scam savvy?

Consumer Affairs Victoria released a scam quiz in June - check how scam savvy you are here: https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/scam-quiz

8 Likes

Easy as!

Scams quiz

You scored 10 out of 10

Congratulations, you’re a scam pro!

7 Likes

Yes, I’m a professional scammer … er, scam pro?

10 out of 10 too.

7 Likes

What a great Quiz and educational too, although I only got 9 out of 10.

I hang my head in shame thinking anything emailed to me by the bank re my credit card is a scam. It’s actually the credit card that is the rort!

I promise to try harder next time. :wink:

8 Likes

Reading the notes on each one is educational whether a person gets the answer right or not.

6 Likes

10 out of 10. While easy for some of us it is obviously still a problem for many to pick out what is legit from what is a scam, the figures for those affected by scams show it is not yet a lesson well learnt by enough of us. There will always be failures to see the issues but tools such as the quiz and the videos available from the site would be very helpful to those who need some educating as to the risks and a good refresher for those already aware of the issues.

6 Likes

I got 10 as well.

While it is useful, unfortunately scammers are becoming better and more convincing. It is often it is better to steer on the side of caution and confirm any contact which looks legitimate…by doing this oneself through the usual communication channels (phone, in person, login to website, email directly using a verfified email address such as that on a tax invoice or bill etc).

One should fully rely on what is received, unless one triggers the contact. Saying this however, it appears that scammers (or their software) are recognising numbers (or being told them) which once answered but are not blocked. Yesterday our elderly father received a call from ‘Telstra’ advising that the block was no longer free and to retain the block, he would have to pay a one up fee. The ‘Telstra representatives’ asked him for his credit card number, details and cvv…he then though it sounded like a scam. He rang Telstra who advised him it was and he did the right thing and it was a scam.

I also wonder with foreign call centres being used for some businesses services, if basic information like phones where international blocks are requested are being on sold/or used unscrupulously by others.

6 Likes
  1. The ‘matebook’ one got me - perhaps indicating my lack of interest in it’s real iteration
    (and"hilarious" videos…).
8 Likes

Received an SMS, WITH A LINK, from the NAB bank, no account with NAB, enquired at local branch, informed it was a scam. Deleted, now I delete all unknown SMS or emails.

6 Likes

Only got 9/10. Missed the social media one. It was from a friend though. Did not think the account was hacked. The learning curve!

6 Likes

Keeping our League’s average score up there with a 10 out of 10!

I agree with @grahroll that we are generally more circumspect in our dealings and therefore less likely to be duped by such scams (at the moment). It is a good and helpful tool to educate the less savvy public.

6 Likes

" # Me Too"…

5 Likes

10 out of 10 for me too.
:grin:

7 Likes

Yes, 10 out of 10 for me too, thanks to what I’ve learned from Choice :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

If in doubt over the “matebook” one or any other item with a short URL, use a URL expander to display the real link before even considering clicking on it.

6 Likes

Any recommendations (for a given browser)?

I would say browsers ought to offer this out of the box, given its importance in concealing scams / revealing scams.

6 Likes

Firefox allows protection to be enabled in it’s settings for those who are unaware of the options. Select the “Open Menu” three horizontal bars on the right top side select “Options” select “Privacy & Security” on the side menu then scroll down to Security section and select the boxes by putting ticks in them.

5 Likes