Are super funds being honest about their green investments?

@DanielHerborn has taken a look at how super funds are managing their green investment options, including:

• ASIC has recently fined some super funds for ‘greenwashing’, or exaggerating their green credentials
  • Many super funds have embraced ESG (environmental, social and governance) considerations in making decisions about how they invest
  • Super Consumers Australia says calls to create exemptions for the super fund performance test are bad policy

Read the full investigation:

8 Likes

Paltry fines in those examples, no need to change behaviours based on those very small or maybe better put insignificant amounts.

5 Likes

I am with Australian Super’s Socially Aware option. I alerted them to an international holding MTR which was closely related to some gross human rights offences in Hong Kong. The long story is [mod edit - background info: Hong Kong's rail operator MTR is under fire from protesters — could it impact Australian services? - ABC News]. Short story, Australian Super don’t give a damn to my complaint. If they say there is no problem because their ESG provider says so, that’s final. I wasn’t even allowed to raise the question at their AGM.

So no, I don’t think they are honest at all.

ps. MTR is the company that has been building and running the Sydney Metro.

Well, this is unexpected. Or is it? They said and they said or evidence based?

1 Like