April Food Challenge - Favourite Fruit

This is a tough one because I have a bunch of favourite fruits but how much of them are eaten depends heavily on mood, price and packaging. For example I eat 1-2 apples a day but can’t get excited about them (unless they are in cold pressed juice form = sugar overload). They just exist as a snack to offset hunger pangs between meals.

Raspberries are #1 but always packaged in throwaway plastic punnets so they send me on a guilt trip. #2 passionfruit and their very distinctive sour-sweet perfumey flavour and much less overpackaging. #3 pomegranates if and when I can be bothered shucking them. #4 all other berries but they also tend to be trapped in plastic punnets.

Any other fruit that works with pavlova :smiley: e.g. kiwi because… pavlova

Lemon because I love eating lemon wedges and preserved lemons are incredible. Citrus in general is great for savoury dishes but I hate overly sweet flavours in savoury dishes so all the peach/pear/apple options are out.

5 Likes

I can identify with that enthusiasm. My all time favourite (un-fermented) fruit juice is another citrus hybrid the tangelo. Much more character than orange and not as caustic as lemon or grapefruit.

6 Likes

Apples - cored almost all the way through leaving the bottom intact, stuffed with dark chocolate, sprinkled with cinnamon, wrapped in foil and baked in a campfire until very soft.

10 Likes

Mangoes are one of my most preferred fruits…preparation is cut the cheeks off with the skin of the mango left on, cross hatch the flesh then eat it, I don’t care if chilled, fresh off the tree, or at room temp.

Also really good prepared as a Lassi, there are a variety of recipes all of them are a basic Yoghurt drink to which you add flavours. This is for 2 cups each of yoghurt and Mango so please adjust other ingredients up or down if using more or less .

We like a good Greek style Yoghurt whizzed in a blender to which you add the mango chunks (fresh or frozen), we use about 1/2 and 1/2 of each, whether the mango is frozen or fresh, however if they are canned mangoes then it is about 2/3 Yoghurt and 1/3 mango for us. During the blending you may/will see a creamy froth forming, this is good :smile: if you don’t don’t worry you will still enjoy it.

Blend until smooth consistency then add very chilled water until the mix is as thick as a thick pancake mix. Also add some salt (about 1/2 the amount of a 1/4 teaspoon’s worth but you can adjust upwards to your taste even a 1/2 teaspoon). If only a little water is required trying using ice cubes to chill the mixture instead of water.

Then add sugar about a 1/4 cup but you can use Stevia or Monkfruit sweeteners which is what we use and for Stevia we halve the amount. If using canned mangoes or pulp, then sugar/sweetener may not need to be added as they are pre sweetened. Taste test as you add your preferred sweetener to get the sweetness right for your palate (it will vary on the sweetness of the fruit you used).

Once you have the sweetness right then add about a 1/4 teaspoon of green cardamon powder (if you don’t have green then normal cardamon powder will do), blend for a few more seconds and drink. The sweet fruit lassi should be consumed within a short period, a day at most, if kept longer they do get a little bitter. The salt and the cardamon are important for the taste but you can omit either or both of them if salt or the spice flavour are not for you eg on a salt restricted diet.

Savoury ones last around 2 days.

Pineapples, we eat them here just skinned and sliced, if we get fancy then battered and deep fried or we grill the slices and enjoy either as a side with a meal, used as a topping on a ham steak, chunked and cooked with bacon…so many delicious ways to enjoy it savoury and sweet.

8 Likes

I’d eat peaches & nectarines all the time, when they are in season - IF they ever sold tree-ripened ones!

The ones they pick early, because that improves their “handling qualities”, simply NEVER ripen. They have hardly any flavour of anything at all. And the texture is like eating an unripened apple. They have barely any resemblance to the peaches and nectarines I’m used to.

And what I see is an entire country, with children growing up, and younger adults, who have absolutely no idea whatsoever, as to what a peach or a nectarine should taste like.

5 Likes

I’ll second that.

The rubbish that is deported to FNQ fails to ripen and will actually start rotting before ripening. and I have not had a good peach or nectarine in the last few years since Zee Sweet stone fruit has been unavailable here, with the sole exception of some brand temporarily available at our local Supa IGA.

This winter, I wil try the imported USA peaches and nectarines to try to get some fit for human consumption.

The USA cherries are always top quality, and at similar prices to Australian cherries, so hopefully the other stone fruit also are.

Why would they go to the trouble of exporting sub-standard produce to the other side of the Pacific?

At least we had some decent cherries this season with the best, the magnificent large black Tasmanian cherries, appearing in the last fortnight of the season.

6 Likes

You and the world who rely on the supply chain are going to miss out as to the supermarket masters handling characteristics beat every other attribute with the possible exception of looks. Flavour is well down the list.

To enjoy a great peach (nectarines are just glabrous peaches) you will need to access home grown. Some fruits ripen well off the tree, some ripen OK and some are never any good. If you have never had a tree-ripened peach you have no idea what you are missing.

7 Likes

Oh yes - my partner makes this, she leaves it until its almost black - I was amazed when I first saw it, so easy and so good. Stuff some of this into a chicken for roasting, also under the skin and in the armpits/wingpits, lemon pepper seasoning on the outside. After roasting I can’t help but eat the baked black lemon - there is no greater bittersweet taste that I’ve found!! I’ve imagined making a sauce/gravy from it but that is usually when people look at me with that ‘concerned for my sanity’ look … as a kid I ate lemons straight off the tree, cut in half on the corrugated iron fence. Thanks for posting this one :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Our favourite fruits.

1. Tasmanian cherries.
  2. Kensington Pride mangoes.
  3. Papaya.
  4. Panama Red passionfruit.
  5. Rough leaf pineapples for my wife.
  6. Cavendish bananas for my wife.
  7. Sugar bananas for me.
  8. Pears.

Now after saving the best till last.

1. Mulberies.
  2. Granadillas.

Unfortunately, both mulberries and granadillas are not commercially available in FNQ but when we manage to actually source some, we make absolutely delicious mulberry pies and granadilla pies.

Serve with fresh cream on top of the slice and vanilla ice cream on the side.

I have been considering using fresh blackberries as a substitute when Coles have them on special for $4 for a 125gm punnet.

However, whilst at our local Coles yesterday, I noticed Coles 500gm packs of frozen blackberries for just over $6 each, but the pack actually scanned for a mere $4, which is the price shown on their website.

A mere 25% of the price of fresh blackberries and the country of origin is Chile.

Blackberry pie is on the menu this Easter.

6 Likes

Mango! To me the mango is the most delicious of fruits. To eat it, I like to cut it into two “halves” on either side of the seed. I then cut vertical and horizontally into those halves so that it consists of little cube-like shapes that stand up when one picks it up and bends it backwards a little - a necessary step to be able to start biting into those delightful mango cubes. Of course one gets the juices from a particularly juicy mango onto one’s face - but what does that matter. At times like that I have often wondered if the top of the elites, the Queen, has ever enjoyed eating a mango in such style; more likely it would be cut up into cubes sliced away from the skin and she’d eat them with a fork. We ordinary folk can get so much more simple enjoyment out of this wonderful fruit.

8 Likes

We do likewise but then use our fingers to separate the flesh from the skin.

Much less messy and easier to eat.

5 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: How to best grow fruit and vegetables at home

We have been buying papaya from Coles since they started selling the ones grown by Mackay’s, Australias largest banana farmers, around 2 months ago.

THey are perfect unlike the seconds sold at markets and Coles have had them on a multi-buy until now.

However, when I bought a couple late last week, the receipt showed $4.90 each, not the website price of 2 for $7.00.

I took my receipt and a printout of the above offer to Coles this afternoon and received my $9.80 credit.

The website price has not changed, so if Coles sell the product in your locale, hop in tomorrow for your possible freebie.

Just tell them that the Easter Bunny sent you.

2 Likes

Quite like the melon family.

Watermelon, honeydew melon, and my fav rockmelon. The debate about the latter, is it rockmelon, or canteloupe?

6 Likes

Melons and cucumbers give me grief.

I remove cucumber from sandwiches and burgers, but it I miss any, I soon know.

4 Likes

We’re coming to the end of the season of the best: William Bartlett pears. Delicious, no need to do anything to them but core them and eat them.

6 Likes

I concur ! Truly a most versatile fruit, and I love them along with their limey cousins.

My absolute favourite though is passionfruit.

7 Likes

Yum, hope you have a favourite variety. Woolies etc usually don’t market by variety. Not all passion fruit are created equal. Some are very sweet, (eg Misty Gems). Others are less sweet more tangy sour.

Our favourite might be the Panama red. Mostly because they are free. I find them scattered around the property growing like weeds.

They are weeds, likely from seed spread by the local wild life. Any near the house I’ve been able to manage and get good crops for free for a couple of years.

6 Likes

As I posted above, the Panama Red Passionfruit is one of our favourite fruits, and when we bought our current home some 6 years ago, there was a large vine growing over the mango tree the original owner had planted behind the property, which used to produce copious amounts of fruit.

I used to collect the fruit daily for ourselves and neighbours, but one afternoon when I went out the back, I found that some scumbags had literally pulled the entire vine down and broken it off near the base.

Yes. Definitely scambags plural as tthe massive vine could not have been pulled down from the canopy by a single grub.

3 Likes

Mangosteens. Or Rollinias (Lemon Meringue Pie Fruit). Eat them as-is.

5 Likes