Appliance stainless steel rust blamed on abrasive cleaner

We have an outdoor fridge that has developed some significant rust on one of its panels. The manufacture is claiming that it was caused by using an abrasive cleaner. We’ve only ever used a damp microfibre cloth to wipe it down.

I’m after some advice on what stainless steel damaged by such a cleaner would look like compared to one which has rusted due to a manuafacturing defect.

The rust is shown in the photo below.

In contrast the side panels have practically no rust

I would have thought that both panels would show rust if an abrasive cleaner had been used?

The top panel also has more of a coarser brushed finish than the side panels. My understanding is that a brushed finish is more susceptible to corrosion as the grooves are more likely to retain moisture, which would explain why the top panel is corroding.

Appreciate any advice.

3 Likes

Stainless steel is used to describe a diverse range of steel alloys in which chromium and nickel are the principle alloying elements.

It’s usual to chemically treat stainless steel surfaces

1 Like

It’s 304 stainless steel according to the manufacturer’s specs

Were you referring to treating as part of the ownership process, or during the original manufacture?

1 Like

Grades of 304 are widely used for applications such as food prep benches and kitchen sinks to commercial food processing equipment.

The SS should have been treated at the point of manufacture. I’m not aware of any domestic goods supplier including it in the owners requirements. For some further background on what it involves.
https://www.thefabricator.com/thefabricator/article/testingmeasuring/passivation-basics-will-this-stainless-steel-rust-

SS is not immune from corrosion. Chlorides will attack a SS surface. These are found in sea air, table salt, hydrochloride acid and some cleaning products. Hard water can also contribute to staining. IE there are possibilities other than heavy abrasion damaging the protective oxide film on SS.

Noted

As well as being a brushed finish the panel is also laying flat. It will be susceptible to environmental conditions or any thing that may be placed or spilt on it. It’s useful to consider the rust staining may not be due to a product defect.

It can be useful to share which product brand and retailer you have gone back to. It is also important to be taking your issue to one of the retailers managers who has a responsibility for resolving consumer complaints. Several retailers are more often mentioned as being more difficult to get remedy from.

It may be more successful when the retailer is not in agreement to be precise and formal when seeking a remedy. There are numerous other community discussions about the importance of taking a more formal approach when seeking a resolution. You may find these links provided in another recently discussed consumer complaint informative. Quantum Hot Water Heat Pumps - #10 by grahroll

5 Likes

That was my thought, the horizontal top surface will get much more wear and more dirt as it is used as a table top.

What is the make and model? My reason for asking is to see if others have had the same problem.

4 Likes

We found there seem different standards (qualities) of stainless regardless of nomenclature. A pair of mid-priced bins from Bunnings kept in a bathroom and ensuite after a few years began to corrode exactly like your fridge. When they got too ugly they were replaced with better quality products and no worries near a decade on.

The 20 year old Amana fridge has no trace of corrosion but the 8 year old Siemens dishwasher has a few small spots developing on the door. Products such as Magic Cleaner go a l.o.n.g way as not much is needed per use and helps the cosmetic appearance and seems to create a protective barrier.

‘Polishing’ the corrosion with crumpled Al foil or Al foil and dilute vinegar might remove the corrosion but try it in an obscure spot first to assure it doesn’t scratch or make it worse.

3 Likes

Some Stainless Steels still have an amount of ferrite in their structure and will show signs of rust over time. In SS with very little ferrite the rust may be still be visible but is only cosmetic. There are some SS that have no ferrite and these do not “rust”, they however are much softer than those those that are more ferritin and will mark much more easily eg scratching and gouging. The non ferritic SS is often used in meat works for benches as it does not easily rust and so does not contaminate the meat, plastic coating boards are used on top but any contact with meat by the metal is less of a health risk.

You may have a SS with still some amount of ferrite eg on corners or it may have been hardened or similar. Using cleaners that help remove the rust and seal the finish area without scratching the surface will possibly be the best option.

4 Likes

It is said to be 304 standard SS which is about 70% iron. Stainless steel is by definition a ferrous alloy, perhaps you meant non-ferromagnetic not non-ferrous.

5 Likes

Yes non ferromagnetic as they don’t form ferrite except where worked eg corners

Austenitic Stainless Steels

Most stainless steels falling under this category are non-magnetic because they contain high amounts of austenite. Even though some of the metals like grade 304 and 316 have iron in their chemical composition, they are austenite, meaning they are non-ferromagnetic.

They can be made partially magnetic through special thermal treatment or work-hardening which can form ferrite in some locations. This is why, austenitic grades display vary slight magnetism on any edge that has been mechanically worked, such as the edge of a sheet.

2 Likes

How far from salt water are you?

2 Likes

@kp2000 seems to be otherwise engaged and unable to supply additional detail. Based on what we have I will attempt to summarise:

• It is not the case that all SS is rustproof, many common grades of SS will rust under some conditions. In this case it may be the quality of the SS that is the problem or the environment, or both.
  • It looks like the top of the fridge is rusting but the sides are not. Since I doubt they are different grades of SS it looks like some treatment of the top is responsible not the grade of SS.
  • The presence of chloride ions (as in salts like sodium chloride, ie common salt) is one factor that encourages rusting of SS. This could be from something applied like sprinkling salt on the BBQ meat, salt spray (which can travel a fair way from the ocean or estuary) or some unknown source.
  • The top could be affected by abrasive scrubbing or chemical cleansers being used unknown to the OP, or chloride or other substances coming from the environment that encourage rusting, also not noticed.

At this point it remains an open question.

1 Like

Have been pretty busy with work and life since posting so unfortunately I haven’t had an opportunity to respond.

As I mentioned, the finish on the top panel is different from the sides. This fridge replaced an existing one which had some corrosion on the corners and damage when it was delivered. The finish on the top panel of current fridge is different from the one it replaced.

I’m not sure whether there may be a clear coat on the side panels or not, and if it wasn’t applied to the top panel.

I’m 30km from the Ocean, but betwen 500-1000m from the Brisbane River. I do have a salt water pool which would be the most likely source of any chlorides. The manual doesn’t mention anything about keeping it away from swimming pools, just out of the weather and direct sunlight (which I’m complying with).

The fridge is not positioned where it would be used as a bench and is well aware from any food preparation or BBQ area.

The product is marketed as " utilising masterful craftsmanship and high-quality materials" and that it “is an outstanding addition to your alfresco or outdoor area.” I certainly would expect it to last in its current location given that description, particularly for its RRP price of $1500.

Certainly no abrasive scrubbing or chemical cleaners have been used (unless someone has broken into our back yard and done some cleaning).

Can appreciate that horizontal surfaces will accumulate more dirt and also more likely to hold moisture. However, it’s the difference in finish between the top panel and all other panels on the fridge, and also the previous fridge that is flagging it as a manufacturing issue for me.

It’s Inalto, and I am dealing directly with them as they are also the retailer in this instance.

Good luck, without a smoking gun showing it is a manufacturing flaw I doubt they will move. I suggest you look at a fall back plan involving cleaning off the rust and applying a clear lacquer to prevent it returning. As the top is not used as a table that treatment ought to wear pretty well.

If you have not, regardless of the advice received on what might be causing the corrosion, and after looking at the Inalto website you might consolidate your experiences into an evidence brief and go formal with a ‘letter of complaint’ to seek a solution or refund since you report to have now had two samples with corrosion. Consider how long you have had the fridge and how long it takes for the corrosion to begin is relevant.

That being written and not knowing your exact product, their 129l bar fridge is advertised to be the perfect unit for extra fridge storage whether it be in a kitchenette, pantry, laundry or garage and the 95l a perfect unit for extra fridge storage whether it be in a kitchenette, pantry or your laundry space. Nothing about being outside in the elements regardless if it is in the middle of the garden or on an unenclosed verandah.

As a minimum if their product is not suitable for use outdoors that should be prominently made clear and perhaps is not addressed at all in their advertising or documentation?

Whether anyone’s opinion on the Community is supportive, educational, or questioning the rubber meets the road on how Inalto responds. Please keep your topic updated.

But that is the question without an answer. Without much more information we don’t know if it is unsuitable for purpose or has been exposed to some treatment that it is not designed to withstand. I don’t doubt the OP who says to his/her knowledge it hasn’t.

And no amount of back and forth here is going to answer it. While trusting the OP’s word without the full product documentation and advertising in hand I can only presume. I am sure you understand the need for authoritative references :wink:

I still have access to the previous fridge that it replaced so can directly compare the quality of the top panel between models (Inalto basically make you responsible for disposing of the product when they replace it under warranty so it’s sitting at my work).

The product I have is the 118L Outdoor beverage centre. The manual on the website has been updated since the original one issued with the fridge, but I don’t believe there are any material differences in what they state about usage conditions. By it’s very nature, something called an Outdoor beverage centre, should reasonably be expected to operate outdoors.

What I really want to know, is what a rust pattern would look like if it had been mistreated (i.e. an abrasive cleaner was used) so I can compare it to the rust pattern that I have which has developed simply due to the fridge being on an unenclosed patio.

1 Like

Thanks for adding that. It certainly clarifies that any reasonable person would expect it to be suitable for outdoor use. I note the manual attached to the web site indicates it is suitable for domestic indoor and outdoor use but should be shielded such as in an alfresco roofed area, but there seem to be no other relevant caveats.

If there were, the one accompanying your product should apply.

The clause about abrasive cleaners is fairly typical. I will follow with interest if anyone can suggest how one could ascertain that from the pattern rather than a surface analysis of the actual finish and coatings.

Perhaps high magnification (using watchmakers glasses or high magnification visors) might reveal something either way?

Re my prior post, in the early stages we just treated the bins with WD-40, Magic and Al foil until we replaced them. It was more or less successful but the surface continued to degrade over time.

2 Likes

Unfortunately if it were that straight forward one might expect a queue of unemployed corrosion control engineers and metallurgists down the street.

If through your best efforts with Inalto you don’t get the result you prefer, you could request they provide their recommendations. IE for cleaning to remove the rust marking and for the chemical products to use to passivate the surface reliably.

Note:
Just an example and not a recommendation of the type of services available. Some when approached may offer some friendly advice or guidance on where to look for a reliable reference on what you are observing. There are several similar businesses operating in the Brisbane area. Fee for service they might cost more than a new outdoor bar fridge.
EG
https://www.cetec.com.au/services/corrosion.html

In an industrial environment everyday activities including maintenance can damage the surface protection of stainless steel products. The finished surface of SS products is often raw/flat and unpolished. The common remedy is hand cleaning followed by the use of a passivating agent.

3 Likes

Which I have complied with as it is located in a roofed outdoor area, in a recess which offers protection from the weather.

That’s the problem, it’s easy for them to simply say that I must have caused the damage through the use of an abrasive cleaner and fob me off. I guess if I can establish that similar corrosion would occur through a manufacturing issue, then at least if I decide to pursue it through a tribunal there is some element of doubt around their claims.

I also have another issue with the fridge as the demister function on the glass door isn’t working. There’s a large build up of condensation in the void between the glass panels in the door, not just on its surface. They’re claiming it’s a minor cosmetic issue and they don’t need to do anything. My view is that it’s an advertised feature, and even if it is a minor, rather than a major fault, they still need to repair it. Generally, a repair costs more than the fridge so they end up replacing it.

2 Likes