Apple Service & Repair Issues

Here’s a story that was sent to us by a CHOICE reader that we thought you might find useful.

At the beginning of November 2020, CHOICE member Jackie’s MacBook Pro suddenly showed a vertical band across the screen. She took it to an Apple Store, where she was told that because it was a few months out of warranty, she’d have to pay more than $900 to have it fixed – or “upgrade” to a MacBook Air for just over $1700. For work reasons, Jackie was pressed for time and options, so she chose to buy the new product. But she wasn’t happy: “I am extremely upset that I had to buy a new product, and that the price of fixing my ‘old product’ was so expensive,” she wrote.

Jackie wanted to know what her rights were, and what she could do to get Apple to fix her original computer or replace it free of charge. Under the consumer guarantees of the Australian Consumer Law, goods bought come with automatic guarantees that they are of “acceptable quality”, meaning they should be safe, durable and free from defects for a reasonable period of time. The consumer guarantees are separate from the manufacturer’s warranty and may still apply, even if the product’s warranty has already expired.

We suggested Jackie contact Apple once more with a formal complaint letter or email, and mention that she believes the laptop does not meet the consumer guarantee of “acceptable quality”, and that she would like it repaired (if repairable) and replaced (if not repairable) under the consumer guarantees of the Australian Consumer Law. We suggested she include that she would like a resolution within a few business days and that if they don’t respond, she intends to lodge a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading.

We’re happy to report that Jackie has since had a very successful outcome. “Helping me understand my customer rights, having your back-up, and having a product that had been well looked after, all helped in my favour,” she writes. “Thank you for your support. Now I know why I subscribe to CHOICE!”

It is clear in this particular situation, that an expired warranty is not necessarily a reason to deny one’s rights under the law.

11 Likes

Most of the “geniuses” at Apple Stores only know the basics. It always pays to speak to someone higher up, and, of course, it also helps if you already know about the ACL.

4 Likes

What was the warranty period, do we know?

Not repairing for a reasonable cost and upselling to new is Apple’s business model. They even are going to great lengths to prevent right of repair, which is them preventing independent repairers fixing their products. There are some great videos here from a repairer that explains what Apple get up to in order to prevent repairs so that they can force buyers to purchase new. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl2mFZoRqjw_ELax4Yisf6w

3 Likes

12-months on all Apple products.

1 Like

Ive made a number of post-warranty claims with Apple. Each time the same pattern plays out, they say ‘its out of warranty’, I reply its only a few months out if warranty and is therefore still covered under Aust Consumer Laws.

As soon as you mention ACL, they cave, knowing its an fight they probably cant win (within reason).

Got an 2yo iphone fixed under that; and a 15-month old iPad. But if its say, a $3000 iMac, the real warranty could he as much as three years, you could argue with them!

4 Likes

Actually 24 Months or longer according to Apple under ACL. Although the standard Apple warranty (international) still says 12 months.

https://www.apple.com/au/legal/statutory-warranty/

They explain the differences between the 3 different warranties in the doc.

3 Likes

Yes, so their warranty (unless you pay up for Apple Care) is 12-month. My experience is Apple never mention the ACL option unless you do, then they concede it.

In first instance they stand by the 12-month warranty to avoid repairs, until you press the ACL point.

4 Likes

It’s Apple’s document I posted. Apple very clearly state they are providing 24 months or longer warranty in Australia. There is no need to press the point of the ACL. It’s what Apple have legally agreed to.

It suggests Apple-Care is of limited value for some.

I recollect several recent purchases having a manufacturers universal warranty booklet in the sealed and OS made packaging, plus an additional warranty note specific to Australia. I can’t confirm if Apple includes the revised warranty details with current purchases. It would be misleading not to. The ACCC and Apple agree.

3 Likes

As Apple’s website says, for all products their…

“Apple Limited Warranty
2 years from date of purchase for Apple Watch Edition
1 year from date of purchase for all other Apple products”…

Apple setting a 24-month ACL warranty in addition to that is an arbitrary timeframe, and doesn’t mean anything. They are accepting that they wont argue with you up to 24-months because of ACL, but beyond that they might. Though, if you bought a $5,000 Mac Pro and it needed repair after 26-months, I’d be insisting they repair it under ACL!

The example of the recent post from ‘jzarate’ shows we, sadly, still have press that point with Apple, and they don’t volunteer that when you are out of warranty.

4 Likes

It’s not Apple. It’s an undertaking reached with the ACCC that dates from 2013.

We might need to disagree whether a court enforceable undertaking has any meaning.

Does Apple offer anything significantly different/extra to the requirements of the ACL, under it’s standard for International warranties?

It would seem more useful for consumers to be made aware that Apple has committed to provide a 24 month or longer warranty period. Semantics, the 12 month warranty is extended by ACL, and as pointed out may extend well beyond 24 months.

3 Likes

Just between you and me, for that kind of money … that is crap. I would expect 3 years.

And would quite likely get it for many products. Australian Consumer Law allows companies to offer warranties, but also specifies consumer guarantees which “apply for a reasonable time depending on the nature of the goods or services”.

In other words, you would not expect milk to be warranted as fit for use for twelve months - but you might reasonably expect a high-end electronic device to be fit for use for at least four or five years. In fact, I think there is still a requirement on car makers and importers to supply parts for a certain number of years after sales of a model cease (although my searches for details have failed to find anything other than a US ‘urban myth’ requiring parts to be supplied for ten years).

6 Likes

From experience if one cites sufficient evidence a product life expectancy is say 4 years, and it fails at 3, the consumer can prevail even if the warranty is 3 months.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Pleased to hear it worked out but disappointing you had the run around and angst. I have been happy enough with Apple service however my daughter had a bad experience when she took a non working Mac Book Pro under warranty to be repaired. On opening it up they declared that liquid had been spilt on it and I think they found some kind of corrosion or rust situation. She was adamant that that wasn’t the case but it was her against them and they refused to repair/replace under warranty. When I heard about it, I pointed out that she literally lived across the road from Coogee Beach and there was a possible correlation. She however, was young and in a different city to me so didn’t pursue it. I have no idea whether the beach may have been a factor but it seems possible to me.

4 Likes

A lot of it comes down to who serves you I find. Half of Apple Stores’ staff are really sharp and know their stuff, and the other half are Apple die hards who believe the company can do no wrong.

When I upgraded my iPhone SE (1st gen) to a 2nd gen (old one had a failing Lightning Port) I mentioned I was aware the new model had wireless charging. He told me it wasn’t much good and not to waste my money. Although I was vaguely aware of that already, it was nice to hear it admitted.

2 Likes

Our experience with an iPhone 8 and 8plus using wireless charging has been excellent. We’ve 3 different wireless charging devices. The charging speed varies between chargers. Charging using the lightning port can be quicker, depending on which charger or source is in use. It’s not a given.

The wireless charger (stand type) is easy and convenient, while not putting any wear on the lightning port.

3 Likes

We also found charging time can vary because of wire gauge. Discovered it when the long Apple friendly cable got broken and had to use a shorter one, and connected it via a USB extender. Charging was very slow. Remove the USB extender (a generic for basic USB) and off it went charging at its expected rate. Confirmed there were no special connections the extender did not have, and the net had a few hits about light weight wires potentially being ‘the problem’ for slow charging situations.

2 Likes

There’s USB, and there’s USB. Seriously, there are dozens of standards for USB that specify how much data a particular standard-meeting cable is able to carry, how much power, how it communicates with the host (or client) device, what class of device it claims to be…

Then there are the devices that claim to meet a particular specification but don’t.

In short, USB is a rabbit hole.

2 Likes