CHOICE membership

Apparitions of a Cashless Society

The onslaught continues? One step closer to the walletless future.

Are we to now look forward to a world with one digital card or single device using embedded technology? A future where there is no wallet, cash or multiple bank, credit and loyalty cards?

Apple has long term served to forecast many changes. Even when it failed the first time with technology like the Newton, handheld and powerful computing with touch screen is now taken for granted.

If government sits back will we also face a future with only two choices. No! Not a physical wallet vs virtual. Just a simpler choice. Apple virtual wallet vs Google virtual wallet. Sorry Microsoft?

It also aligns with the future of the connected home. Two only providers both offering to sequence your aircon, lights and pre cooked microwave meals, while autonomously deciding the best electricity deal for you and paying the daily instalment to AGL?

P.s. And this vision of one future continues to provide us with a purpose, if only to ensure the profits of Alphabet and Apples future parent “Fruit”. Are you getting your daily serve?

My apologies to @mark_m for posting similar to his post above about this card…I did search before posting as a new topic (now deleted and moved here) but it wasn’t found so again my apologies.

Apple are spreading into the Credit Card (CC) industry with their release of the Apple Card. It’s all nice and shiny and made from titanium (hoopla in my opinion), designed I guess to appeal with a techy/Appley/new age feel to firstly those who love Apple anything and to then to others who have not yet got all cosy with Apple. This move I also think is to ensure ApplePay gets further entrenched in mainstream finance. We have become just another cash asset to many of these companies whether we think so or not.

Like Coles with their loans and CC business the move by what were non finance businesses into these markets causes me some disquiet. While I already don’t trust banks but I know their main objectives the rise of these others plays on my fears of more data grab than service provision (it is just the gloss to allow the grab).

Anyway if you want to see Apple’s own page about it see:

Then some other commentary on the card:

https://onemileatatime.com/apple-credit-card/

The search function for the topics appears to be very independently minded sometimes?

When more than one of the community is drawn promptly to same item or issue it can only make us all feel a little more confident the item deserves closer understanding and comment.

It will be great to hear what others see in this too.

Cash Is King.I for one could never see cash disappear.The amount of people in debt now in this country is at a all time high.Some of these people who have this problem maybe should cut up there cards and rely on cash only that will sort them out lol.Then they can actually learn to save

Who would have ever guessed a cashless society needs a robust capable network as well as robust ICT systems? Seems black magic these days as we experience more and more disruptive interruptions.

It appears this may become a major consumer issue rivalling which fridge or TV to buy, but sadly no choice (pun intended) in the matter beyond some reporting while the pollies continue their self serving games.

No Universal Service Obligation, obviously.

First the banks started disappearing.

Is it my imagination or are there also fewer ATMs to be found around our towns and cities?

A recent observation from visiting inner Sydney, is the need to actively hunt down our big four branded ATMs. Not only have many of the local branches gone, there are no ATMs nearby as replacements.

While in the stores the minimum amounts for credit card payment seem to also have disappeared.

I started a week long trip cashless. Still to find a need for cash, although the banks must be happy enough?

P.S.
We’ve seen one pop up fast food vendor who was cash only, while some volunteer run organisations ask for gold coin donations. Might still need a pocket full of metal?

Likewise. Local pub doesnt take cards, let alone do tap and go, or Apple Pay or Android Pay. A few local shops also, although they are less and less. I admit though, not having been to the pub for months, that I have had a $20 note and some change in my wallet for weeks, and havent needed it. I think I’d be safe to go out just with my phone and apple watch (I use the watch rather than fiddling with the phone, to pay for things). what I like about it (apple Pay) is that the vendors never get to see your CC number. Its just a token. so for now, its more secure than most other things.

Of course I had completely forgotten smart rings. Yes, they do exist. NAB has its own, I believe. I just dont want an account with them.

It’s been years since I used an ATM. When I go shopping, there’s always a Woolworths supermarket handy. Their self-serve checkouts are easier and more convenient than ATMs (and no, you don’t need to be buying anything to withdraw cash).

It appears that the banks are hedging their money that most of us will just get cash on debit card purchases (eg at Coles or Woolies, etc) when there is no convenient ATM. Might work for some of us, and not at all for others. The banks save money, we ‘pay’ in one way or another.

An option!
That depends, fee free on your card provider, and the notion Woolies is convenient. Sometimes it is. Most times it is not. Other localities, no Woolies, no ATM, but usually one of the “expensive” private ATMs in the local pokies!

Nearer to home we can park at the bank and ATM,(we still have one in the next town). Woolies is a bit further on, assuming you really desire to enter the car park from hell, also used as a practice circuit by some for the show ground dodgems?

We did have a Suncorp, but the branch and ATM have gone. Still need to enter the car park from hell for an alternative, or Woolies.

Am I a little grumpy and inflexible? Possibly. We all know what it is like trying to reach an old dog new tricks. I often wonder if for the extent of retraining we need to undergo on a routine basis, whether learning mandarin and relocating might be less stressful?

The same can be done at Coles, Kmart and many other retailers. Even some independent retailers also allow cash out…some require minimum purchase value though,

I totally appreciate the feedback.

Respectfully, if one lives in the city or a major township life is perfect. Politely, if you don’t the options are fewer. In our instance we still have options, although they may require a short 12km round trip. In other localities the options are one or sometimes none, and perhaps an hour or more away. True there are always options, somewhere!

There is a RediATM inside our local IGA which closes at 6pm. While that might seem simple enough, some of us are no longer employed. Changing banks, getting credit cards, one more account to manage.

No complaints, there are options, and mostly you pay extra. Or I could drive for half an hour to K-mart. But then again there is an ATM around the corner 24x7!

Woolies is actually my only fee-free option. My town doesn’t have one of my bank’s ATMs (and all the others charge). When I’m shopping, Woolworths is nearly always one of my stops, so it’s very convenient.

Another of the reasons I like my bank which refunds all fees, including those from the RediATM. Thats pretty much all that is close to me, too, and I used to resent the $2.50 fee to withdraw. I didn’t know, when I switched from my building society accounts to an actual bank, that I would be paying fewer fees. Changing wasnt a huge problem, easily done online (I went with Macquarie Bank)

Or they could just blow up our 'phones:

Looks like inadequate beta testing done.

We have had a few apps in the past which have chewed up CPU and battery…which we have uninstalled. I wonder if the notification system has gone haywire making it continually/continuously check for status.