Apparitions of a Cashless Society and an Online connected Life

The pesky issues are not going away and might require donors to rethink. Instead of giving the homeless a dollar it will have to be a gift card - ‘what do you need?’ Minimum help might become $5 or more gift card dependent. A bit more than many are happy/able to give? My punt is many of us are and would be reluctant to engage with a homeless person for various reasons.

2 Likes

And bank closures continue in spite of >50% of people surveyed saying they’ve used a “brick and mortar” branch within the last six months and want to continue to have that option.

We urgently need the government and the banks to find a real way to deal with major issues like this, where a significant number of people - like the homeless man in that previous article - are forced to depend on cash because they don’t qualify to have a bank account and a credit or debit card … while access to cash is rapidly disappearing.

Bank closures in remote areas where there isn’t reliable internet connectivity are already creating dire situations where no-one can rely on digital financial services, but using cash is damned near impossible as well, because of the logistics and cost involved in transporting cash.

3 Likes

Something which I wasn’t aware of until a few days ago is that debit Mastercards are now being offered for use by kids as young as 6.

4 Likes

“Give me a child until he is 7, and I will give you the man.”

1 Like

Making up for school canteens not taking cash, maybe?

1 Like

Most school canteen purchases now are app based, where parents place orders and it is billed to the nominated credit card. Many school canteens prefer this method of taking orders as they are in early, compile preparation lists (number of each item needed to be made for the lunch), takes away lost money/lunch shop bags or children spending the money at the local corner store on the way to school.

Sure your login is more important to you than ATO - after all, they know you will end up paying, whatever

1 Like

It’s a bit of a misconception that homeless people are necessarily in need of money! Most, if not all, receive Centrelink benefits and they are generally free of debt and have very few commitments, largely any shortage of money is due to unwise lifestyle choices ie drugs and alcohol. Not all of course, there is a homeless couple in our area who refuse money when offered. Many also refuse to go to shelters due to strict rules on drugs etc. So, money, cash or otherwise, is better spent donated to the charities that provide services to the homeless.

6 posts were split to a new topic: Homelessness and poverty in our society

Interesting. “… if that café does not take Bob Katter’s note and he wants to make a big legal dispute out of it, the court will accept the case and the café will have to accept the cash.”

Court costs aside…

2 Likes

It depends on whether the business rejected cash before the transaction, or after.

If before, then it is a case of no card, no meal. Good luck trying for success with that in court.

If after, then it is a settlement of a debt, and the law is clear that Australian legal tender has to be accepted by a business as payment for that debt, within limits of coin amounts.

I accept the article comes from the ABC and regardless, filtered so may be inaccurate, but that is not what it states.

It states, as does the ACCC, that a business can specify whatever forms of payment it will or will not take, BUT if taken to court (and who would - maybe someone) the court wil adjudicate the business needs to accept the cash within the limits of coinage specified because above those limits for the transaction the coins cease to be legal tender.

Are ‘the experts’ cited correct? Not something we can determine here so best to accept Bob Katter is on the side of cash or card, not cashless and move on pending further court decisions, should there be any.

Probably not. Or reported incorrectly. The law talks about settlement of a debt by cash.

Not prepayment for goods or services. Think about it. How does one buy something online with cash?

If that was what happened per context you would have a defensive argument. The report was fronting the cafe till.

Why not go around in circles. Fronting the till in a cafe to do what? prepay for your meal, or to postpay and therefore settle a debt that has been incurred.

It’s always a risk. It’s not unknown for those with a Politician’s inclinations to maximise opportunities for free public exposure.

The press are equally adept at circling like sharks waiting for any morsel that might come their way.

Is there a serious issue with the cafeteria in Parliament House not accepting cash? Unlikely any of our well renumeration MHR’s do not have a card to hand, and expenses to reconcile. Easier with a CC record than paper receipt!

More meaningful would have been a Poli and the circling press line up at the servo cafe in Camooweal or Boulia to see how it works in the real world?

2 Likes

That of course does arise with some culinary establishments e.g. order at the counter and pre-pay.

(I don’t know either way which applied for the specific cafe in Parliament House. With politicians’ record of making promises and then failing to make good on those promises, if I were running a cafe in PH, I would require pre-payment. :rofl:)

3 Likes

Another step.

It reads like the ANZ no longer has tellers, just sales people in an increasing number of branches.

2 Likes

Exactly the service offered by the ANZ this time last year at a branch in Newcastle. No counter. Just ATM’s and a staff member at a free standing terminal to direct one in an appropriate direction. Intent on depositing a large value bank cheque we were directed to an ATM. Need to transact cash. There was a machine to count that next to the ATM.

Sydneysiders seem to have been lucky to have kept the over the counter service for one year longer.

1 Like