Anzac Biscuits - chewy or crunchy?

As ANZAC Day is on 25 April, it is a time we commemorate all Australians and New Zealanders who served and died in all wars, conflicts, and peacekeeping operations.

ANZAC biscuits are often associated with ANZAC Day. The

ANZAC biscuit is a traditional, eggless sweet biscuit. Ingredients include rolled oats, sugar, plain flour, coconut, butter, golden syrup or treacle, bi-carbonate of soda and boiling water. (Source)

ANZAC biscuits are a favourite of many, but, they often cause disputes within families. Should they be crunchy or chewy.

What is your preference?

• Crunchy are my favourite
  • Chewy are my favourite
0 voters
3 Likes

I confess, I like both. And there is a point between chewy and crunchy which I prefer above all.

10 Likes

Yes it was a bit of a toss up for me.

4 Likes

By adjusting the cooking time and the amount of sugar I usually make both. My own preference is for a crunchy biscuit: how else can you dunk it in a cup of tea? :joy:

5 Likes

I like crunchy, but seems most people around me have false teeth and can’t handle them, so prefer soft. So soft is what I make for them. Off to the 5:30 am march and then further afield for the informal 11:30am family get together around a remote memorial that’s mostly family members, bringing the shade shelter, tables, chairs, smoko, lunch and soft ANZACs.

4 Likes

I spent over 30 years in the military and my wife would almost always include a care pack of Anzacs. I preferred the chewey ones as the crunchy ones were too brittle in very hot sandy climates. This also caused a dry mouth when eating them as well. Too much golden syrup and they would melt together. I always looked forward to them as they were a real treat from the normal rations.

2 Likes