Any review on hard floor cleaners

Wonder no more?
Just apply a little 14th century know how. :+1:

I seem to recollect some mixes use animal waste (cow poo). Skippy poo might be useful too, but it might take a while to find enough of those little balls of conditioned grass?

Sounds great system for a motor workshop, built in drysorb. :wink:

2 Likes

Surely Draughtrider you could just go down the road to Bunnings or super cheap Auto and pick up one of the their two pack epoxy resins used in garages and stick in the sand. Obviously need a concrete floor … LOL … and a whole day to get to the nearest store…Now I need to go to choice to see the best Vacuum cleaners since mine has just died on me obviously the outback dust is too tough for a Vax … I think it is 6 months out of warranty … but may be it is just needs a rest…so will turn it on after it cools down…Now if Choice did a test to see if the hard floor cleaners are worth it I could have purchase if they turned out o be good:)

A few points PHB

1. It has a vacuum head before the microfibre cloth to suck away dust (2 in 1 again)
  2. it squeegees the dirt out every revolution I think 500 revs a minute hence the two water containers one for clean and one for dirty.
  3. Microfibre cloth is washable
  4. besides being narrower it microfibre part is the same length if laid flat so would take approx. the same time to get the dirt off.
  5. In theory stubborn dirt would be easier to come out due to the scrubbing power.

lastly the other hard floor cleaners use a different system but again most have a vacuum head before whatever brushes they use. It would be nice to have a test to see what one works best.

I personally think you still need a vacuum cleaner but when I want to clean, not just get the dust off the floor I feel something else is needed. Then again my friendly fellow resident that likes to lick my floors in the kitchen even after a vacuum would be disappointed, however living with a wild mouse in the kitchen is probably not a good thing! Daring devil that it is …ps I am a social worker so not big into killing things other than cockroaches and flys… now if draughtrider could lend me a snake I would be set …just make it python rather than a poisonous one.

Lastly I am asking for a test because I want to see if they work rather than guess , part of the reason I bought choice. Surely how one choose to clean a floor is up to the individual? What is the word that is on the front cover of the magazine… that’s right …Choice! PS Choice get a new Zealander to do some of your videos that would be choice just to hear them say choice.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Well Draughtrider Wikiepedia is never wrong :wink: personally I think going one better …that is to do what my maternal side of my family do and live in a cave … much cooler … especially with the Mediterranean sea as the view out of the cave entrance … now if only their was cliffs 1500km inland in OZ and that inland sea stayed constantly filled???:slight_smile:

1 Like

Its several years since a request was made for a test of electric combination vacuum and floor washers - nothing seems to have appeared. Has a test been scheduled. Steam cleaners seem to get frequent reviews but you cannot use a steam cleaner on wooden floors.

2 Likes

We had laminated floor boards look put down right through out the house bar the bedrooms. We were advised only to clean with a warm wet mop which we have done so for the past 16 months. We were told not to use any other products to add to the water (natural or chemical) as this will wear away the protective cover of the laminate and definitely not steam mops. So the question I guess I am asking what is the best mop that serves this purpose that will cover a large area.

4 Likes

Welcome @suzannenelson, I have moved your post to this topic on hard floor cleaners that may offer some good suggestions.

1 Like

With timber floors or timber based laminates (floating floors), I expect that the pressurised steam would penetrate the joins/cracks in the surface coating causing the underlying timber to swell. This would also potentially increase the likelihood of surface coating delamination and also rotting of the underlying wood. The same could also potentially occur if one is very liberal with the water applies to the floor as any free water has the same potential as the steam.

Just in relation to too much water, having gone through the 2014 Brisbane storms, we managed to mop up the water within a few minutes of the storm passing. Our timber floor was undamaged. Neighbours who weren’t home in the storm and the water sat for a few hours, the timber swelled and all their floors had to be stripped and replaced. I expect that over time the same effect could occur with steam and putting free water onto a timber floor.

5 Likes

HI

The hard floor cleaners that I was suggesting are not steam operated and use less than 400ml. of water to do my smallish place and use no pressure, steam or anything, They are a mechanical mop that rotates at slow speed and include a suction (vacuum) function hence most of the 400ml end up in the dirty canister so the floors are not wet! the hard floor cleaners do not use anything other than water or speciality cleaning products that are not harsh.

3 Likes

Hi there.
Does anyone have user feedback or a review for the Karcher FC7 Floor Cleaner??
Would love to hear your thoughts around whether the $799 price tag is worth it??
Seems like it’s easy to clean and operate, but I’d love your opinion…

3 Likes

I don’t have one, but looking at the Karcher website, it only works on hard floors, and you would need to buy extra rollers with a ‘stone’ floor.

It is claimed to do vacuuming and mopping in one go, but you would likely still need a vacuum for the rest of your home and a mop to get into the spaces narrower than 310mm.

I can see that this might be useful for the elderly or infirm to clean their hard floors, but the 7.3kg weight may prove to be unweildy for these people.

Otherwise, it looks like a very expensive gadget with limited capability that will end up being relegated to the back of the broom cupboard after six months.

5 Likes

I’d love a general review on hard floor cleaners. We have timber floors and with lockdown and kids homeschooling, they’re currently a disaster! Would love to be able to consider the options on this one…

2 Likes

I think the point being made in the comments above is that an objective test by Choice would be useful for those who are attracted the claims of the various hard floor cleaners now available but are unsure if they live up to them. There seems to be regular reviews of various types of vacuums and steam mops, but an apparent reluctance to acknowledge the new devices coming onto the market which seek to combine the best aspects of both and be safe for modern wood laminate flooring. So Choice, how about it? The time is ripe for a review of hard floor cleaners like the Tineco, Bissell Cross Wave and Hizero etc.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Robert5

Rather than reluctance it will be an outcome of limited resources vis a vis perceived or actual consumer interest as evidenced by market share. Unfortunately ‘popular’ products consumers are buying is a large part of the equation into ‘what’ is tested, and what products in that ‘what’ are included.

This topic has put the genre on Choice radar, but again, the plethora of products are difficult to cover and this one might bubble up because of interest raised. At the end of the day it will come down to doing the most for the most with the resources available.

If not familiar, this page informs what is in progress

3 Likes

A quick look at the Choice site suggests this is not accurate. For example: electric bikes are reviewed but unpowered bikes, which have a far larger market share, are not; likewise, steam mops are reviewed but regular mops are not.

Anyone wishing Choice to consider a product or product type to test is more than welcome to highlight it on request-a-test and it is taken into consideration. Because one does not make the cut is once again not a lack of interest, just a lack of resources so priority rank happens.

As a generalisation my post holds. Some products do not lend themselves to lab testing because of the vagaries of the product. For example what makes one push bike better then another, or one mop better? In most cases it has a high dependence on the consumer as much as the product.

In your example electric bikes have some characteristics that are empiric such as distance/battery life/weight that are core to the product type. Also note the electric bikes were tested by ConsumerNZ and collaboratively edited and published by Choice to adjust for our market.

‘Our ConsumerNZ testers review and compare the electric bikes’

As a PS, sometimes there are exemplar products included for comparative interest, eg a high end espresso machine, as well as cameo reports of new products. None of that contradicts that most product tests are advised by market share and consumer interests, and again, some products do not lend themselves to lab tests or a ranked evaluation for one reason or another.

This Community category is monitored by Choice staff and there is a form on the Choice site, linked here

2 Likes

Latest issue of CHOICE has a “Review of steam mops” yet again. It also warned against using them on wood floors. There have been multiple reviews of steam mops since this thread requesting Hard Floor Cleaners/Vacuum combinations was started 3 years ago.
What was also interesting was one of the Stick vacuum cleaners also in CHOICE recently had a cleaning attachment for hard floors. This is the first of the battery combination vacuum cleaners/washers that I have seen. CHOICE acknowledged that this stick vacuum had a water cleaner attachment but they declined to test that function. We live in hope that they will manage to do a review of these combination vacuums and cleaners some day.

4 Likes

I have just come accross another brand of combination vacuum and washer cleaner for hard floors.
Can you please add this to the list of brands to be reviewed.

HIZERO F803 all-in-one cordless bionic floor cleaner (review) - GadgetGuy

2 Likes

Hard floor cleaners Tineco/bissell etc test request

1 Like

I agree with you about vinegar or eucalyptus. As choice says in recent cleaning tests most products are useless its like throwing the product down the drain anyway. Its amazing how manufacturers can advertise saying it will leave everything spotless. No idea how they get away with it. I consider it misleading.

2 Likes