Ancestry Subscriptions Rip-off

I have been a mmember of Ancestry for 11 years and have allowed my subscription to be automatically renewed each year as I have been researching my family history.

My subscription was due for renewal recently and I was aware of that. The details shown on “My Account” page on Ancestry showed that I would be paying $299.40 to renew my World Explorer subscription. A few days later, I checked my bank account and found that I was charged $474.96!

I used the Ancestry Help link to ask why I had been charged so much, and kept getting the message: “Sorry, I don’t know an answer to that specific question. I’m still being trained…”

I asked for my query to be referred to someone who might know the answer, but after waiting for another 40 minutes or so, I gave up.

The following day I contacted Ancestry by phone and my call went to someone in USA who was patronising and unhelpful, and also hard to follow as she spoke so rapidly in an American accent. When I asked her to clarify a point, her reply began with “As I have already told you…” Very frustrating!

I did gather that the different amount was largely because the amount shown as my subscription was in US$, but even so the amount in US$ was not $299.40 but something like $329. The renewal price shown was not right even in US$! Deceptive?

I decided to cancel my subscription but found that I would not receive a full refund, and that it would take a week or more for the funds to appear in my bank account. I did not acept that. After I insisted on receiving the full amount, and asked that my issue be referred to a higher level, that was agreed. I also accepted a new subscription at a lower price, which should have been able to happen within 24 hours. It hasn’t happened.

My access to Ancestry was cancelled immediately. Now some 3 days later, I still await the funds and there is still no sign of my transfer to a lower cost subscription.

Automatic renewal on Ancestry seems to be trap, especially when the amount you pay turns out to be about $175 more than you anticipated.

4 Likes

Hi @GHR, welcome to the community.

Today, AUD299.40 is worth about USD420. It is worth noting that the AUD has increased significantly in the past week or so and it is possible that a few weeks ago the exchange rate would have resulted in a cost of AUD274.96 (with the AUD was equal to 0.63 USDs which last occurred about 2 months ago).

Also, which Ancestry website did you register for a subscription as the Australian one is in AUDs…

Ancestry’s refund policy is here:

https://www.ancestry.com/cs/legal/dna-bundle-cancel-refund-policy

For subscriptions, it states “For all renewals of the Ancestry.com subscription, you may cancel within seven days of the renewal date and receive a full refund.

It also states

"If you wish to cancel just the Ancestry.com subscription within the first 30 days of placing your order, you will receive a refund equal to the price paid for package minus the cost of the DNA testing service if purchased separately. and
If you cancel after the first 30 days, you will not receive a refund for the package or any portion thereof.

When did you cancel in relation to the renewal date?

4 Likes

The roughly US$329 appears to include the 10% GST as required by the Australian Government ie $US299.40 + $29.94 (I rounded to $30) GST = US$329.40. I think they probably quote prices before taxes as some States in the US have sales taxes and some don’t, VAT and GST type taxes also vary around the world eg NZ is 15%.

5 Likes

In most US jurisdictions it is illegal to post tax inclusive prices, with very few exceptions. It is an Americanism that they dislike taxes so much, they are required to understand the cost of the goods and services, and the tax component that varies wildly from location to location. That is one of the reasons the penny ($USD0.01) coin won’t be retired anytime soon - cash buyers need them pay the odd amount the sales tax adds and they will not accept round ups as anything but a rip off.

5 Likes

My cancellation was 5 or 6 days after renewal. I had to push hard to get the full refund, whenever it comes.

5 Likes

I believe you have provided the answer I could not get from Ancestry!

7 Likes