An NBN Wiki

Brilliant job thank you, so much excellent information diagrams and pics, fantastic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thought I’d add this to our NBN Wiki thread. Some videos featuring @ScottOKeefe -

Will my NBN phone work in a blackout?

Can I keep my existing phone number on the NBN?

Will my cordless phone work on the NBN?

2 Likes

A draft NBN standard has been released.

3 Likes

Some information on Myhomefone, the NBN home phone alternative:

3 Likes

I wonder what is stopping the use of the Myhomephone SIM in a mobile handset - no data I’d guess, but if that’s not an issue …

3 Likes

Yeah, that is an interesting point. You would think it would allow the same operation as a mobile so that it could be removed further from the base station, but this is not the case.

2 Likes

Telstra seems to be doing very well out of the NBN.

3 Likes

There is nothing physically stopping you from taking the provided SIM and putting it into a mobile phone handset. The base station accepts a standard (mini) SIM, but it can be punched out to a micro or nano size. Perhaps myhomefone would have an issue with you doing that as they sell it as what is essentially a fixed wireless solution, not a mobile one.

I’m only guessing, but there may be additional costs involved when the calls are routed from a ‘fixed line number’ to a truly mobile handset rather than one that they expect to remain at a fixed address ?

2 Likes

@ScottOKeefe, are you suggesting myhomefone has a contract with Telstra mobile like no other ? Consider there is no roaming function here and myhomefone is a SIM in a special mobile base although it could be the case a myhomefone SIM is service locked to an IMEI.

Second guessing how simple it probably is, the landline number is assigned to myhomefone as beneficial owner for their customer. The myhomefone system appears to be a server operating a landline number bank and forwarding the calls to the ‘fixed mobiles’. The handset base is probably a mobile in a base designed to make us land line lovers feel comfy.

But, I allow for the unexpected.

3 Likes

It might be cheaper to just buy a dongle to add to your modem/router via the USB port on the modem/router or get a modem or router with a sim card slot and use it as the backup device/system for internet connection in the case of NBN failure. Of course this requires backup of power in the case of power cuts.

An example of a router D-LINK DRW-922 4G router with sim card slot:

https://www.dlink.com.au/home-solutions/dwr-922-wireless-n300-4g-lte-voip-router-with-sim-slot/

or one that sits between your modem/router and your connected devices:

There are many others out there that support it and could end up being a much cheaper option than the continuing $55 per month.

Just as an added thought many Telstra supplied devices do come with the ability to add a dongle for this very fallover purpose as do the Optus, TPG and other RSP supplied ones.

4 Likes

so your suggesting outright purchase price of the dongle or modem, plus say $10/mth for the SIM card, vs $55/month?

2 Likes

Yes as there is also an added $99 setup fee for the MyHomeFone service, I think the cost of that service would outweigh in a year or so the cost of a power backup, dongle and small monthly fee for mobile cost…mind you if used purely as fallover you could get away with a 365 day expiry sim plan that would perhaps cost you in the region of $30 per year.

A 12/1 NBN plan could be had for about $30 a month.

4 Likes

@grahroll, I suspect the target market for a myhomefone is going to be a different demographic than those who would be happy to acquire NBN, dongle, and UPS.

I know at least (understatement) one person where if it is not plug (into the power point) and play it is not an option.

It is not always just about price :wink:

5 Likes

I understand that and appreciate it as my Father in law is of that ilk. But if all the other stuff is in place/placed then all he is concerned with is when he dials a number on his handset it rings.

Also of note is the power backup of the myhomephone is only 5 hours on standby (not using).

The service agreement is not with Telstra but Daktel see their Terms and Conditions & privacy policy:

http://myhomefone.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Terms-Conditions.pdf

2 Likes

Hi @grahroll, i’m late to this party but wanted to add my vote of thanks to you for your sterling effort in compiling this wonderful wiki – excellent.

Wrt the quoted extract, pls forgive me if i’m incorrect but i sensed a relatively recent shift [since very late 2017?] in RSPs now making more fuss about these plans too…? Eg, after me deliberating choosing to not take up my fraudband FTTN “opportunity” when first available to me last year, now in my final few months before i have to join the NBN misery-chain each of the several RSPs i’ve shortlisted have 50/20 at same price as the miserable 25/5… at least, as best as i can understand.

2 Likes

The 50/20 has come to more prominence because of the ACCC etc cracking down on the poor high speed offers that didn’t get anywhere near the speeds advertised eg Optus and others having to refund customers. FTTN is more likely to achieve 50/20 than 100/40 for most customers.

As this is a Wiki you are welcome to amend any of the Wiki posts to update/alter them as things change. In fact I encourage you to :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, but no. I would only do so for matters of which i am very certain of my facts. Given i am generally uncertain of my facts not merely in NBN but in life as a whole, including if life is even really a thing ;-), in general i’m quite unlikely to have the temerity to make “corrections”.

2 Likes

I have made a couple of minor mark-ups, including inserting the approximate distance to satellites. The major change I made was to replace references to ‘Fixed WiFi’, as it appears that this technology is being called ‘Fixed Wireless’ and referring to WiFi is likely to result in confusion. It also appears from my reading that WiFi is not involved in this technology.

Erk! I just noticed a reference in the “NBN Fixed Wireless” subsection of “Types of Connections” that the last sentence states:

I could not be bothered at the moment, but next time someone edits this section, could they please change the second word to ‘has’? When referring to a company, the reference is singular. (There may be other, similar references in the document.)

Finally, it is not entirely clear to me what difference is being made between NBNCo and nbn™. Is the latter the network, and the former the company that owns it?

2 Likes

The CHOICE guide to th NBN:

3 Likes

From the Choice guide:

Okay - so they’re not even sure how many premises they’re connecting?

The FAQ also indicates that only 57% of connection-ready homes have yet signed up to it. That’s pretty poor for our ‘next generation’ network.

Finally, I take issue with the suggestion that 5G would ever be a replacement for a fixed line. It has the same problems as 4G, but worse. Congestion, distance from cell tower, line of sight… all will make it impractical as a replacement for a fast, broad, dedicated pipe - except in some very specific use cases (e.g. small towns) which are unlikely to get decent 5G anyway.

3 Likes