Amazon.com.au automatic Member Sign-up

I have had to contact Amazon.com.au after I started getting a monthly $6.99 charge out of my credit card for a membership my wife or I did not knowingly sign up for. We shop online constantly and this has never occurred before as we consider ourselves knowledgeable in this space. Apparently they automatically do this when you purchase an item (which we had done) on their website with a ‘non standard delivery’ selection e.g. not the normal default shipping method. This was not clear on their site at the time of purchase. When you do go to their site to cancel the unsolicited membership it requires multiple layers of pages and selections to remove the membership. Technically they owe me $13.98 but I could not be bothered going through the rigmarole of getting it refunded.

5 Likes

Thanks for letting us know about this quirk with Amazon.

You could approach your credit card provider and ask for a charge reversal as you didn’t agree to the charge. Not much effort involved there.

5 Likes

An old topic still relevant. Just made an order in AmazonAU and at checkout there is a ‘well designed’ box, at least from their perspective (did not take a screen shot). For others? Misleading would be the appropriate word.

‘Completer this order signing up for Amazon Prime ->’ as if that is what one is doing and that there is a pulldown to remove it. Oooops. Fell for it. Pressed it expecting the pulldown and it placed the order and with a prime trial.

I immediately looked at how to cancel if I could and saw a ‘tick’ to change the order.

The change facility allowed me to remove the 30-day prime trial without starting over.

Bad news they still do it, good news at least that for those who fall for it but otherwise are paying attention, one can gracefully back out of it.

2 Likes