Amazon Audible and Kindle e-readers

Amazon Audible and Kindle e-readers
I get several regular emails from Amazon extolling the properties of the AUDIBLE app for listening to e-books downloaded from their website.

The silly thing is that apparently this app does not work on any Australian KINDLE e-reader (US only). The Kindle Oasis should work but I can’t find any info that it will work in Australia – as anyone successfully used Audible on a K Oasis?
This app works fine on smartphones, PC’s and Macs but not a Amazon Kindle.

I own a Kindle Paper White circa 2019 and according to the Audible website (.au) it should work with the Audible app – it doesn’t – my iphone and ipad work fine, ie as they should.
It seems like weird marketing/advertising to me, and its not cheap at approx. $17 per month. Is it misleading?
PeterH

2 Likes

Have you verified this with Amazon Audible? Their support is documented as 24x7 but it seems opaque using it. A hotlink to their form is

It appears there is a matrix of requirements, some including other apps, that I am not familiar with, not using ereaders of any sort, nor being an Amazon customer. I notice the Oasis is shown but a Paper White (did I miss it?) is not listed in their compatibility list on the US site.

1 Like

The BBG
https://audible.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4679/session/L3RpbWUvMTU5NDg2NDAwNy9nZW4vMTU5NDg2NDAwNy9zaWQvZlVVQ1VSc2FEYk9vT21BQXJfeERDRlJqYVk1dE1vazRQYXBFYktfX21yc2tUZHpDcTVfYTlnX19hMURqaTJrVDdZdjVmRjRQY2hxcnZFNlRmRmI4MEE0MG5BTFlxeWtZSkV1SmRhVkh4RHRadUdvVjZiMnlFTTZRJTIxJTIx
But this is only for the USA not Oz!
pH

1 Like

Yes, but did you try contacting a person to ask the question?

2 Likes

No I didn’t, because that pertained to the USA. I wish you luck in contacting Amazon Australia support - you answer a series of inane unconnected questions and get shunted to FAQs. It seems difficult to get any support from them. Have you got a pertinent link?
PeterH

1 Like

I often go to the US sites - they tend to have better coverage and often far better customer service skills. Sometimes I learn not to admit where I am :wink:

Did you click the ‘customer service 24/7’ link I posted above or only the compatibility list? Doesn’t that give you an entry into asking the question?

There is a similar link for Australia - probably the same back end support group.

Each page replicates this

I would have a go at getting through but I do not understand a kindle nor an audible sufficiently.

1 Like

Phil it was pointless contacting US support I now know that Audible is not supported on a K Paperwhite in Australia (Amazon au website). I could not contact support here - no one answered the phone and live chat just stalled.

My original comments stand - this was NOT about support but how silly for a company to advertise a service that does NOT work on their hardware in Australia. Please forget any support issues - Please, does any subscriber have any experience with using a Kindle Oasis with Audible in Australia.
Thanks
pH

1 Like

Apologies for misreading your need - it was not obvious to me if you were seeking help to verify if there was a problem, or not. Re the USA site, whether a support site is local or global or US, it remains an avenue for help for most of us.

I’ll await someone who has a product, who may respond to you.

1 Like

Try this from https://www.epubor.com/how-to-listen-to-audible-on-kindle-devices.html :

1. Listen to Audible on Kindle 8th Gen or Kindle Oasis (8th/9th Gen)

Listening to your audiobooks on your Kindle (Gen 8) or Kindle Oasis (Gen 8 and 9) is simple. The library in the Bluetooth-enabled Kindle (Kindle 8th Gen, Kindle Oasis 8th and 9th Gen) will show all of your eBooks and Audible books when you tap on All .

Note : You need to turn the Wi-Fi on and complete the over-the-air update in order to see your audiobooks.

1. Go to the Home screen to tap My Library —>tap All to find your audiobooks or use the filters to see Audible books only.

2. Tap on the audiobook you want to listen to. The audiobook will download if not already downloaded.

3. You can listen to audiobook through the Kindle’s speakers or by plugging in your headphones or paring a Bluetooth device. If you have not paired a Bluetooth device, tap on Pair Device and choose the Bluetooth device you want to use.

Here’s the official video tutorial to listen to Audible on Kindle 8th Gen or Kindle Oasis (8th/9th Gen)>>

If you visit the link you will also find a way using your PC to use the Audible Manager that may be worth a try on the Paperwhite but it is for older Kindles but nothing ventured nothing gained.

1 Like

Not really. Amazon offers are not always available in Australia, thats just how they do business. For example, you’ll notice if you were to take the cheapest Kindle option, in the USA, you get advertising. In Australia, you do not. We can’t have an Amazon Fire TV over here, but we can have the Fire stick. etc.

I would not bother hacking my Paperwhite (I have the PW3) to run Audible stuff. If I am listening to ebooks, they wil be on my much smaller phone, and I’ll have a headset on.

1 Like

I bought a K Paper White believing that I could listen to my audio books on it. Not possible. Not available on the Australian Kindles. The options available for selection do NOT include Audible on my device. Was disappointed however I listen to my audio books on my phone.

3 Likes