All clingwraps are not equal

Thought most of us are not using clingwraps, especially in microwaves, plenty of healthier alternatives around.

Interestingly, Redcycle accepts “Cling film - GLAD, COLES HOME brand and WOOLWORTHS Essentials Home brand ONLY”

So there must be some differences.

https://redcycle.net.au/what-to-redcycle/

1 Like

Could it be that those 4 brands have reached some form of agreement with Redcycle? Hence the limitation. It may not be related to any chemical/ formulation differences.

1 Like

Yes. But what? As mark says, it could be lots of things not just the composition of the product. More data required.

1 Like

Yes there are. Some cling films are ‘eco-friendly or biodegradable’ and can’t be readily recycled. This is why RedCycle doesn’t accept cling film for recycling other than Glad, Coles Home Brand and Woolworths Essentials Home Brand.

1 Like

When the biodegradable bags were introduced many years ago, our waste depot didn’t accept them because they couldn’t readily tell the difference between them and the usual plastic ones.

They have pretty sophisticated recycling services, but still, all " wrappers and scrunchy plastics like cling wrap and sandwich bags" go in our red (landfill) bin.

1 Like

I purchased some biodegradable bags to put the scraps in, however, if it was a bit wet, the bag fell apart before I could get it to the outside bin. Most scraps are wet. I purchased some cling wrap (Woolworths brand) and it doesn’t cling at all. No more cling wrap.