ALDI Expressi capsules

There is an update;
I received a response stating that there is no milk products in the capsules and when I proposed that Choice Magazine may get involved by testing these particular capsules, she appeared concerned and referred to a web site (is it part of ALDI?) to report the issue.
Strange: (( response from ALDI received on Monday the 22nd Mar 2021 but when I went to their Facebook to get a copy I couldn’t find it. Why? can someone set me straight ? ))

That would confirm what has been suggested by others considering how the labelling laws are applied.

Not sure what Aldi were suggesting with referring you to another site. Some businesses have a seperate complaints procedure, from the everyday service inquiries.

The only milk containing variety I could find among the Expressi range was the Hot Chocolate

The rules seem to have been complied with as required. And Milk content is disclosed as required.

All the packets have the contents on the back, the original image provided by @baldie1949 was the packet base.

1 Like

Yum, worth a taste test?

1 Like

As a person likely to get the jitters after a few days of coffee drinking I started drinking pure chicory which is basically the roasted roots of Magdeburg ,one of the very large range of chicory plants. Incidentally chicory and endive though genetically different have very similar forms and can both end up in salads.

Chicory for drinking has a slightly caramel taste and works well cold also. It may not be available in Australia and New Zealand but here in Europe is it remarkably cheap at 1.60€ for a coffee size jar of 200g. For a drink 1 or 2 teaspoons, 1or 2 grammes is sufficient. As you can imagine marketing budgets and firms do not push this easily grown less profitable product.

There are coffee chicory mixes marketed by firms like Nestle or Leroux. As a drink It has a long history dating back to the 18th century when it was banned in London as it was being used to bulk out coffee. The ban was lifted eight years later owing to the strong opposition of those who preferred the mix. It has been a requirement that it be listed ever since if included in coffee sold in the UK.

This chicory powder [or concentrated liquid] or the European blends should never be confused with Camp Coffee which is a " famous" brand consisteing primarily of sugar with coffee and a little bit of chicory.

I have found a few products at Aldi that do not have the ingredients etc listed - so I don’t buy them

Would you elaborate on what the products have been, and the discrepancies? Labels getting it wrong is a matter to be reported.

Products are slipping through the safety net and ALDI and others are getting away with it. Regarding the issue with the coffee capsules, even the devil can quote scripture and it not good enough to just point to some government script if the issue is not addressed. The “don’t ask, don’t tell” practice is not up to required standards. The proposition that volunteers come forward and relate their problem with lactose intolerance if and when they exist will help build the case. Subject to verification but I cannot find the full script I had with ALDI regarding their (her) referral to another web site where my concern would be looked at. I stand corrected if anyone can find that part of the script.

I don’t know what that means.

I can see that you had some trouble getting a statement from Aldi that there is no milk product in the capsules but I don’t understand the above comment.

What is this government script you refer to?

What is the issue that is not addressed?

I assume you mean Aldi has a "don’t ask don’t tell " practice. In what way is it not up to required standards? Which standards?

When I use the term “government script” I mean a report published for example in a government department, a quasi-government report or a consumer report. A cynic and skeptic will say government spin.When I refer to “the issue is not addressed” I mean the basic question or proposition is not answered for example " when I say that using a certain product gives me the symptom/s of lactose intolerance, the onus should be on ALDI to produce a lab report showing no dairy products and not on me to chase them for it. I want to see the lab report about the constitution of the contents in the capsule. If anyone can find it please show it to me. The standards I refer to will be standards that are above reproach and is meant that the consumer will have no doubt about the integrity, transparency, and honesty of ALDI. I don’t think any intelligent person would stake their life on any business, Reality 101.

In relation to this particular problem which report do you think is not accurate?

That seems rather excessive to me. The manufacturer knows what is in the product and Aldi have said it contains no dairy. You are saying they are lying or could be lying but there doesn’t seem to be much evidence for that. If we are going to have coffee pods tested in case the vendor is lying what about 10,000 other products that might have dairy? Who will pay for a huge testing regime like that?

I don’t argue that business can lie about products. Assuming that business always lies is not reasonable. Setting up a testing program on the assumption that business lies isn’t warranted. If there was evidence that Aldi lied in this case then they ought to be prosecuted but that is no reason to take a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

1 Like

My bad as the Americans will say and I should have written down that site address. Nevertheless If anyone can try again to find the record of my exchange with ALDI on Facebook that would be good. The question remains; if that part of the script was removed by ALDI, why did they remove it? I shall not speculate but unresolved doubt is not good. Would that missing piece affect sales?

Sorry to be a sceptic hear but this is sounding like a storm in a ‘coffee’ cup to me?

As others have said if it’s 100% coffee there is no ingredients list required (and proven above).

Aldi DOES have an ingredients list on pods that are not 100% coffee (Hot Chocolate) and it DOES mention it contains milk (in bold)…etc… so to me it sounds like they are abiding and following requirements very well… Well done Aldi!

From what I’ve read it’s said as a rule of thumb, people with primary lactase deficiency and no small intestine injury are usually able to consume at least 12 grams of lactose (aprox 250ml of regular milk) per sitting without symptoms!

You will also find Caffeine-containing drinks (eg, Coffee) can also have a laxative potential anyway. More than two or three cups of coffee ‘can’ cause diarrhea for some so I’m sure the chances are it will be the Caffeine that might be getting you if you are affected well before the chances of any traces of lactase will be found in these 7-gram pods.

Just my thoughts, I feel you are trying to make an issue where there is no issue to be made possible…

If the pods are causing you trouble stop drinking them as I suspect other pods or even coffee drinks, in general, might have the same effect on you and lactase is not the issue hear I belive…

Thank you for your input, at least one objective has been achieved in that some consumers are getting involved. I don’t suppose the details of a kept diary of food intake will hold much sway for some people and that some of us are still the best judges of own bodies.

I hope ALDI is reading this and you are amply rewarded albeit the question of acquiescence and locality. By the way the storm of involuntary gushing in one’s pants is certainly no laughing matter but helpful for staying at home and tending to one’s organically grown tomatoes.
PS no problems with other brands of coffee capsules