Aldi Dairy free chocolate

what is ‘dairy free’ when the product contains milk powder

3 Likes

Hi @Bools, welcome the Community :slight_smile:

Is the chocolate in question? Label looks very confusing to me.

2 Likes

Sorry, but another storm in a tea cup @BrendanMays. The writing on the chocolated clearly says ‘Dairy Fine’ not “Dairy Free”.

This person claims to be a student nurse, and has a very serious allergic reaction. Surely with that backround she is one that should read labels attentively.

4 Likes

Thanks— and for years I’ve ‘seen’ dairy free. Must look next time I’m there. How weird on my part.

6 Likes

Not weird. It is a common occurrence for many of us.

There are those amongst us who seem to process every word and letter in perfect detail. Great spell checkers and astute at picking out errors such as there instead of their.

For the rest of us apparently our brains when doing things efficiently, perhaps rushed or under pressure or just a bit tired, are used to seeing a word as a pattern. With so many variations in font, style, colours we become accustomed to small variations and ignore them. Who knows if Aldi and others also know how to more often than not trick our minds with a little marketing science?

Are there cries from the crowd saying BS, you just need to pay more attention and be more careful? Some of us do wait after the green walk light illuminates. Waiting to see if anyone else believes the message, and taking time to look both ways just in case there has been an error.

P.S.
Discussion misreading words is related to a medical condition suggests such conditions are repeatable and more broadly evident.

6 Likes

Our brains are wired in such a way that when most people read they skim the words and interpret what is there even if it is mis-spelt. Sometimes advertising is designed to take advantage of this by having a spelling variation which could easily be overlooked.

Aldi has a reputation for branding its products so that they just avoid being direct brand copies of commonly sold successful products.

I don’t think that in this case they intended it to convey dairy free.

The point I was trying to make above in my earlier post is if someone has a know life threatening allergy, they shouldn’t rely on the name of the product, they have a duty or care to read the contents label to see if the product is safe to consume.

If you have no such allergies, it is understandable you just glance at the brand label and your brain constructs a word. Once that word is embedded in your brain for that brand label, your brain just pulls up the past memory (even if it is incorrect), and uses that. This will continue until you fully pay attention when reading the brand label and rewrite the memory.

6 Likes