Airline Meals From $2 each. It sounds like airline meals are frozen and thawed out

An article regarding Gateway Gourmet offering breakfast airline meals at $20 for 10 and dinners at $25 for 10.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/airline-food-sold-cheap-as-coronavirus-freezes-air-travel/fa7d446f-ce4a-4951-8f0b-fedf802cf8ef

It sounds like airline meals are frozen and thawed out prior to serving.

I am not sure whether this should be “Bon Appetit” or “Caveat Emptor”.

4 Likes

It is standard practice, especially for long haul flights, that some meals are refrigerated/frozen and heated using in plane food warmers.

This occurs as there are issues keeping food warm for many … may pose food safety issues or cause overcooking of the food.

4 Likes

I think the food is cryovac-ed same as some hospital food. It will last for a very long time.

IF you don’t mind airline food, $2.50/meal is not too bad, . Consider that the portions are fairly small so you might be eating two meals at a time. Still good value at $5/meal, IF you like airline food.

5 Likes

What a great way to get that relaxing airline I’m on a holiday feeling first thing in the morning. Replate it on warmed white porcelain, add a crisp white napkin, with an orange juice starter and bottomless glasses of champagne on a side table. You could pretend you are sitting up front rather than your recliner lounge chair. As an added touch flick the TV to a travel program or one of those endless loops of nature and clouds.

P.S.
Go easy on the bubbles if today it’s your turn to do the school run or shopping. As an alternative to bubbles a half sized cup of weak American style coffee might be the better option while keeping that airline experience authentic.

4 Likes