Aged Care: Royal Commission and Beyond

Perhaps it is a factor, but I’m not sure that is really what finally determines the euthanasia choice.

2 Likes

Overall, I am pretty disgusted with Morrison thinking that throwing millions of dollars into a Royal Commission (which will do no more than tell them what they already know because of the many investigations over the past 10 years) is going to do anything. Make no mistake, this is electioneering at its finest. Why not spend those millions in fixing whats wrong. Staffing shortages, Staff with inadequate training for the job (and NO 6 weeks at TAFE doesnt cut it), owners unwilling to spend the money to employ staff, or feed the elders appropriately. And thats just the basics. I’ve worked in aged care in both the public and private sector and it is rife with idiots who have no idea how to run the service. They just get dollar signs in their eyes, they cut corners in employing people and in caring (caring? they dont care. thats the problem!) oh I get so mad when I know, and anyone who has ever worked in aged care knows, and the government knows full well what needs to be done. its not rocket science, as the saying goes.

ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!

4 Likes

Perhaps you have answered your own question?

Rocket science is just some mathematical calculations.
Very similar to return on investment which is another set of mathematical calculations.

The needs of those in aged care are not able to be adequately expressed by simple maths. As you pointed out many of the solutions are already known.

It’s just that some only understand rocket science and accounting but failed humanities.

5 Likes

Blind Freddy and even the ACCC should be able to see what you have written, but. Here is an item about the carers side.

Does that correlate with your experiences?

5 Likes

Actually, no, but I do have a background in general, gerontology and psychiatric nursing, and 45 years experience. Of course the oldies get frustrated and cranky and angry about being incarcerated but most do not take it out on staff. Any nurse worth her salt would be experienced enough to be able to de-escalate these situations, when they occur.

Of course, those who don’t have the experience and knowhow would likely respond by yelling at the “abuser”, or trying to force the issue. Worst possible response. There needs to be time spent talking with them (not to them or at them) and making an effort to get to know them. My point, of course, is that in the aged care sector, many employees are not trained. Well, not adequately, anyway, and time is something most don’t have, even if they are experienced. Because the owners of the institutions care only about their bottom line, and not whats best for the clients/patients/elders and staff.

5 Likes

It was, as I said, just a saying. That means dont take it literally.

2 Likes

Apologies, I could not resist the play on the idea to demonstrate why a government full of politicians with past lives as accountants, lawyers, and marketing gurus had little chance of ever relating to those in aged care.

P.s. my mother was also a very experienced and qualified nurse with general and physc. She complained about many things at work but rarely any of the patients.

3 Likes

Yet another article about the aged care fiasco.

3 Likes
3 Likes

The share price of some of the “for profit” aged “care” providers have already taken a hit as the Royal Commission is just getting started on exposing their disgraceful practices.

Why on earth did this country allow these bottom-feeding parasites to profit at the expense and dignity of our most elderly and vulnerable members of our community?

After most of our family, including my wife’s late mother, had done everything humanly possible for my wife’s late father, a decorated WWII veteran, he was admitted to a not-for-profit nursing home in Cairns where he spent his final months.

The care was exemplary, and my wife’s late mother visited him every day, and as my wife or I would take her there in the morning and pick her up in the afternoon, we witnessed first-hand how good it was.

I personally visited the nursing home after he passed away to thank the manager for their fantastic service, and gave her all of the leftover supplies and aids left at his home for the nursing home to utilise.

Nursing homes should only be operated by Government or not-for-profit organisations, both of which need to be fully accredited and regularly inspected.

If the shareholders of these sub-standard nursing homes are going to take a massive financial hit, instead of crying in their beer, perhaps they should reflect on the damage and suffering that their for-profit nursing home operators have caused the persons they were paid to support.

7 Likes

Not a good start:

4 Likes

I hope the Royal Commission into Aged Care gets a move on, they state 2020 before the final report is tabled. A bit slow in my book, they always get things moving quickly when it suits them. So much for class actions into Aged Care , been ongoing since 13 September 2017. I have now been informed that the investigating company I was involved with, has Discontinued the class action against AVEO they found that due to the many differing contracts it was difficult to find sufficient common issues of fact or law to run these cases effectively and efficiently. Now we can only hope that the ACCC might come up with a result.HA HA. Gary Landells

4 Likes
2 Likes

Yet another expose into another collective of bottom feeding parasites.

I am totally disgusted.

2 Likes

The ACCC takes BUPA to task for charging for services at their aged care homes which were not provided.

1 Like

The Federal Government has announced the appointment of the first Aged-Care Quality and Safety Commissioner to head up the new department, in addition to the forthcoming Royal Commission.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/first-aged-care-commissioner-named

1 Like

Seems a bit of work to be done. Have a guess what entity will probably face no prosecution? The report implies a long term problem at the facility as well as the principals of the company having to deal with our binary insolvent trading laws that sometimes cause companies that might be recoverable to summarily be shut down. These residents have become collateral damage while the pollies dine.

3 Likes

An updated article on this disgraceful fiasco.

The Aged Care RC is starting to look like the Banking RC all over again.

1 Like

This absolutely disgraceful saga continues to go from bad to worse.

What sort of a grubby parasite would have the temerity to take payment in advance, and early at that, for services that they had no intention of providing.

They should be charged with fraud.

2 Likes