Afterpay rules

What happens if I pay the full amount when purchasing an item from Ebay … for example an item is priced at $40, but the site says I can save $10 using Afterpay? Will Ebay accept the $30 as payment for the item?

1 Like

I have only done this once, but I think it is a means of boosting the numbers of Afterpay customers.
It means your payments for the (eg) $30.00 purchase price will be deducted in 4 steps: $7.50 immediately, then further (automatic) $7.50 payments x3.
I have no idea why this is good for the seller though…!

2 Likes

Hi @Zemo, welcome to the community.

In relation to the $10 off eligible items with AfterPay, the T&Cs can be found here…

1 Like

I know the site says “$10 off”, but why should you have to do the sale using the staggered payments, whether by increments of $10 or whatever? The merchant still gets the $30, albeit with a wait, I get the item straight away as usual through Ebay, and everybody’s happy. Aren’t they?

It is Afterpay, not the merchant that waits to receive the staggered payments. Afterpay pays the sale price, less commission, to the merchant up front.

Also, it is unlikely that the merchant would bear the full cost of the discount. It is possible that they receive all , or close to, the $40 standard price less commissions with the bulk of the discount being worn by Afterpay and/or ebay

3 Likes

Yair, but what I’m wondering is – why can’t I pay the (new) full freight of $30 as an Ebay transaction in one hit (via their site; after all, the offer was on their page in the first place)? If they’re willing to accept $10 less on the deal, they’re happy. What they or the merchants do between themselves is their business, not mine. If I pay the $30, I’m happy. If they accept the $30, they’re happy. Like the meerkat says, “Simples!”

Because that is not how the promotion works or what it is about. It is not about saving a buyer $10 it is about making Afterpay customers, and Afterpay customers to be comfortable with their payment system. If a few customers also incur some penalties that is even better (for them).

‘Simples?’ :wink:

5 Likes

And it is likely to be AfterPay that takes the $10 hit on the purchase, not eBay or the seller.

AfterPay will know from the promotion that in the long run, the $10 is a good business investment. They start making considerable money from its ‘customers’ when they fail to meet their payment obligations. The more customers they sign up and continue to use AfterPay (which includes other BNPL), the greater the number of fee paying ‘customers’ in the future. The greater the number of fee paying ‘customers’, the greater their revenue and profits.

4 Likes

Because Afterpay want your details and for you to become a dedicated customer. If you just pay ebay the $30, Afterpay does not get this opportunity. Similar to the local drug dealer giving you your first hit for free.

4 Likes