Advertising gambling during family programming

I often go down to my local RSL , which has pokies , TAB , Keno etc , for a meal at night . It is alarming that I see the same faces at the same Poker machines nearly every time I walk passed the gaming room to the bistro . The tragedy is , I know that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover , that they seem to be of a socio - economic class that could ill afford to be loosing money in such a frivolous no win situation . I have quite often been approached by said pokie players with the greeting " Could you lend me a dollar or two ? " How sad , how tragic .

2 Likes

The way people are shoving money into gambling (whether by machine or not) is destroying families. I remember our Governments telling us how they would rid our children of poverty and yet they allow unhindered gambling and it’s advertising to occur. The Basic’s Card is supposed to help this use of money but people circumvent even it’s safeguards. Gambling addiction is a disease that also has no regard for a person’s socioeconomic position, it harms all levels of society (both by direct and in-direct means).

If it wasn’t popularised in the media, I think we would be less affected by it’s evils, sure there is some level at which gambling may be harmless and if someone wants to have a ‘flutter’ I don’t begrudge them. But we have to stop the madness it is now promoting/causing in our society. Nor should Governments coffers be so reliant on the money it brings in. How do you dis-entangle this intricate web and stop the need for the coffers to be filled this way?

3 Likes

What many don’t realise is the odds are staked against you. One is likely on average to put more in the machine than that which comes out the other end (the government also has a significant take from the pokies earnings, and wonder where the money comes from). Maybe the machines, if they already don’t, have a warning sign indicating such. It may make some people think twice.

3 Likes

Interesting article, thanks for sharing it @grahroll. The problem is complex and the solution must speak to that complexity, each stakeholder group needs particular solutions for a response to be effective. Personally, I think there are some simple regulatory changes that would have a big impact, including cutting down on advertising and setting rules around betting limits, especially on pokies.

3 Likes

I have no idea what denomination coins pokies take, but if they made them 10 cents only, that would slow down the throwing away of cash considerably!

4 Likes

There have been plenty of gambling ads in the tennis. The Alliance for Gambling Reform’s Stephen Mayne says in the article, “Surely one ad per ad break for one company is enough.” I think the network’s should consider that as a policy for all ads, let alone gambling ads.

To my understanding, gambling advertising is set to be banned before 8.30pm during live sporting events. However, the Sydney Morning Herald reports that TV and radio stations are seeking exemptions.

2 Likes

… or better yet, 1 & 2c pieces :wink:

3 Likes

Does this mean that advertising on the ground in the use of boundary line covers and placards on the stadium does not constitute advertising. I thought that was the reason they have put them there. I am of course referring to bet 365 . To me this is advertising and should not be allowed. This happened in the tests and one day matches against England. Also, I noticed in one match the telecast had started with its introduction and bet 365 odds were advertised on the screen. is no one monitoring these things.
Bob

1 Like

Check the tax rates the gambling houses pay. It could explain the softly softly wink wink nudge nudge government priorities re how they attract their customers.

2 Likes

New gambling advertising rules are about to come into play:

https://www.acma.gov.au/theacma/new-gambling-advertising-rules-during-live-sports

4 Likes

It’s a pity the new rules don’t prevent gambling ads during regular programming, which often have 2 annoying gambling ads in a single break.

6 Likes

Just my personal opinion, but I think they are among the most annoying of all ads (on top of all the other problems around this issue).

5 Likes

Yeah and during the news & sports hours on commercial channels. So they take it off “Live Sports” broadcasts, and here is the way they get the past the rules by using exemptions, unless it is an unscheduled break (breaking news), scheduled break eg news break or weather break(I can see it will be full of betting ads in the future and odds will be quoted by the commentators), long live broadcasts eg Olympics and Super Bowl (I assume this as it goes for hours and hours). I think it is only just imposed to break the special punts people take on for example who will kick the first goal in the initial 10 minutes.

Does my cynicism show yet about these “worthless” changes?

4 Likes

Some radio stations in Melbourne in the morning time slots just keep bombarding you with gambling type adds . I can’t be bothered listening to those stations anymore . Even the digital stations are now being infiltrated with gambling adds . Seems there is no escaping it ./

I questioned one member of the radio community and to them gambling adds are just revenue . He did not see the damage that these adds could lead to in gambling addiction and problem gambling in the future . I guess they were right when they said " You can;t talk brains into statues ."

7 Likes

Thank < your chosen deity > for the ABC!

5 Likes

A word from CHOICE on the impact of of Sports Betting Advertising:

3 Likes

Powerful message, but is it powerful enough to sway those who determine the rules about this advertising? I don’t think it will be but I sincerely hope to be proven wrong.

Tweeted it!

3 Likes

Yair. Good on yuh mate. Dunno about TV’s being scabrous but the programming certainly is. Dunno about making more laws to ban stuff either. We already have so many laws that society is becoming bogged down in 'em The bastards will just find another way to get people addicted. Maybe a bit of old fashioned justice is what’s required. But maybe that would offend the sensibilities of the delicate little cream puffs out there in TV land.

1 Like

An article regarding Australians gambling addiction.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-20/australia-grows-destructive-love-affair-with-sports-gambling/10396984

Personally, I do not gamble. You can bet on that. image

2 Likes

I grew up in a household that had a gambling problem heading it up. As a result, I abhor gambling and would not know how to place a bet in a TAB nor even do I know how to buy a Gold Lotto ticket. In other ways though, I am a risk taker in my financial affairs but that is not gambling as I calculate the risks and make judgements accordingly. I find it extremely disturbing that TV advertising may have the effect of normalising gambling for impressionable children and so I abhor the fact that a family friendly program like Better Homes and Gardens on Friday nights at 7.30pm is packed with gambling adverts. At some stage this has to be reined in but it will probably take a Royal Commission into the tragic impacts of gambling addictions to make that happen.

3 Likes