Advertising gambling during family programming

@Fred Hi , Fred you said about gambling not gaming .Check the link below for a game called Eve Online . Eve is one of the most hardcore MMO’s you can play . The developers CCP shut down 2 gambling sites in game and banned all the players involved . Watch the YouTube post from about 2 minutes in . Also the COD series of games had a lot of real money gambling problems .Not really a good thing for the young ones .

1 Like

Heres is another two YouTubers that were banned for running and promoting gambling sites in game .
It’s not really just adds we have to worry about it is a much bigger problem . Some gaming developers actually promote and support the gambling in game . They should be named and shamed

2 Likes

Dear Vax2000

Studies show that doing nothing is still allowing the ads to influence your children that is why I replied to your post (I hark to the saying “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”), it is a sort of implicit acceptance rather than the explicit acceptance of your example of running to the phone. It would be better for all of us to react with disapproval to the offending ad/s rather than to sit and do nothing.

When our grandchildren are visiting our house we either switch to another channel when they, the offending ads, come on or we turn the TV off (they can have similar ads on many channels at the same time) and we ring the TV station/s to voice our disapproval. We ring the stations even when no children are in our house as we believe that all children and certainly some adults need protection from what we believe is unethical behaviour by broadcasters (and we still change channels as we just plain old don’t like them). My wife and I also talk to our grandchildren about bad ads (not just gambling) so they are aware why we don’t like them and the responses they try to generate (the ads not the children :slight_smile: ).

Why didn’t I mention your second part about running to the phone and placing a bet (or using a device to use the internet to place a bet), that was because I do agree with your view that this is destructive and influencing behaviour. I perhaps should have acknowledged that in my first reply and I do apologise for that neglect.

3 Likes

@grahroll You are to be applauded for being so proactive in regards to the action you take concerning gambling advertisements when your grandchildren are present .

2 Likes

Hi Vax200. YEs - gambling and gaming can certainly be associated and, as you say, it’s not good for the young ones.

One of the reasons I’m so adamant that we should use the proper terminology is that calling gambling “gaming” is no more than a ploy by the gambling industry and a complicit government to muddy the waters.

I should say that I’m not against gambling per se though I’m against the mechanisms used by the gambling industry to target problem gamblers and children.

2 Likes

I emailed Senators Pauline Hanson and Derryn Hinch asking them to take up the cudgel against this scourge, but disappointingly I only got back the expected mollifying courtesy replies from a staffer. I had hoped that these two firebrands might be interested in pursuing this ghastly offence against the public !

1 Like

Australian society has managed to heavily limit advertising for drinking and ban advertising for smoking because both are acknowledged societal problems. Gambling is right up there in terms of damage to society so why shouldn’t it be completely banned?

1 Like

I think it is a disgrace to show these ads period, never mind during times when young people will see them.

1 Like

Please make this issue of gambling advertising when young people are watching, a top priority
Also, the amount of time advertising is using as against so called “free to air” programmes. There are a lot of ‘sneaky’ adverts popping up and, of course, during sport there is the background advertising from the stands and other billboards.
Regards
Alan

2 Likes

The whole media is “self-regulating” as far as I know, so why do they choose regulators who have NO ethics or moral standards? The forth estate in Australia is a completely introvert mob of self ingratiating morons who show utter dis-regard for intelligence.

1 Like

Ads for gambling need to be treated in the same way as ads for smoking and drinking.

One badly needed change is to reverse the replacement of the word “gambling” with “gaming”, an industry-mandated euphemism and one eagerly adopted by governments. Identification and publication of political “donations” by the gambling industry would, I’m sure, tell us all we need to know.

2 Likes

A new high or new low depending on how you look at it with PM M Turnball announcing the new Gambling Advertising Ban before 8:30 pm. The devil is in the detail however and really is a bit of half in half out sort of response to the problem. Have a read of this article to see how watered down this ban really is:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/sport-focus/2017/05/18/betting-ads-ban

3 Likes

They have sunk to new depths (is that possible?) with the content of the ad I saw last night, using athletics drug cheat Ben Johnson in their promotion, suggesting that getting an unfair advantage with their software- ‘juiced up’, often used when talking about injecting drug cheats, was a term used in it. Whether or not you really do get any advantage is another matter entirely!

4 Likes

The government will never shoot the " geese " that lay the golden eggs . " Sit on fence " measures from very " sit on fence " people .

2 Likes

We had this problem with cigarette ads, they were banned at sporting venues - hope removal of gambling will be next. I guess some will argue that gambling is intrinsic to sport, but hope that common sense will prevail! Difference between winning or losing a game should not be keeping or losing your shirt - figuratively speaking.

4 Likes

The gambling ads have again become prolific around commercial news hours (5 - 8 pm). At these times it is not unusual to have children around and watching TV. This is again a disturbing and unwanted intrusion in what should be family friendly hours, unless the aim is to increase the chances of children becoming long term gamblers as they grow up…I guess that is the aim and the Governments are complicit as they benefit from the proceeds of gambling.

4 Likes

There is a petition on Change.org that is seeking to stop Gambling Ads on TV see the following link if you wish to read and perhaps sign:

5 Likes

Signed the petition .

2 Likes

I have also signed the petition.

2 Likes

A bit of an additional story to the amount of gambling in Australia, and I’m sure this is also reflected in the increased advertising we are seeing on TV, Radio and other media, is this article:

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/sport-focus/2017/12/15/australians-gambling

The addiction this country has to gambling has to be abated. Governments, I think are loathe to curb it because it brings in vast amounts to their coffers. But it has become too big a problem for us as a country to continue ignoring.

4 Likes