A Warning Regarding Aerosol Cans

An article regarding an aerosol can exploding inside a vehicle.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/exploding-dry-shampoo-can-car/2a11f65e-ffe7-4b03-a69a-fe04f7f92c1a

The first warning I read regarding aerosol can dangers was around 50 yeras ago after one exploded in a fire at a council rubbish tip and reportedly pierced the wooden tailgate of a council truck which was parked around 100 metres away.

3 Likes

Cars get extremely hot inside and most cans of aerosol come with a warning to store in a cool place and away from heat sources. It would seem that some people don’t quite get the idea of how hot a car can get and how this might cause compressed gasses in a can to expand to the point of violent escape.

4 Likes

This has got me thinking about aerosol tyre sealants. My current car has no spare tyre - just a bottle of goo, and a compressor that it attaches to. Prior to that, I used to carry an aerosol sealant can in the boot. It’s now somewhere in the garage. I’ll check on it next time I’m out there…

4 Likes

Put 300ml in each tyre now- prevent punctures before they happen :wink:

1 Like

I’m selling shares in my new company - GooYeah Tyres. Tyres made out of 100% goo instead of rubber. Just as soon as I get the quirky handling issues sorted. :smirk:

5 Likes

An empty aerosol can would be lucky to make a small dent in wood at that range, there just isn’t enough mass in it. I suspect the tailgate hole was already there :wink:

However, people really should read the instructions as grahroll suggests. Surely anyone who has hopped into their car after it has been parked in the summer sun can have no illusions about how hot it gets.

2 Likes

Last year, we revised our heat test method for dashboard cameras. They are now baked at 80 degrees for 3 hours. Previously, it was only 60 degrees.

3 Likes

The article that I read many years ago did not specify any details of the size, the contents, or how full or empty the aerosol can was, and after the incident it was probably impossible to determine any of them.

But as it was before the internet age, and way before fake news, I see absolutely no reason to dismiss a warning and I have always remembered.

Whilst there are no longer fires at most dumps these days, Victoria excluded, as I posted above, even without fires, aerosol cans can pose very serious safety risks.